Does anyone here travel alone?

I go back to the mid-70s with the OAG. That was my bible and I got to be really good at using it.

We've been doing enough traveling the last few years that I broke down and got an online subscription to it and it has saved me quite a bit of hassle, actually making it worthwhile to maintain the subscription. There's really no substitute.

It's an interesting question. My wife is still working and I am contemplating some spring travel, sports related, to some places I've never visiting. It seems a tad daunting to go alone but sure I will meet some nice people.

I take a trip to the tucson gem shows each year by myself. For me the main thing to be comfortable with is dining alone, and as a female, being ready to rebuff any potential unwanted advances. I learned how to deal with both while still working on business trips, so it's a non-issue.

If I were traveling solo to a foreign country where I didn't speak the language and could not rely on finding folks to help speak english all around (say, japan outside tokyo), that would require a bit more planning, but these days with google and a phone that's more easily handled.

Shortly after my wife of 30 years died, I felt I just had to "get out of Dodge".. I took a trip on trains around Colorado, then a trip to China, the Trans Siberian Express. and finished off with with a cruise of the Inner Hebrides in Scotland.
After the Scotland trip, I wrote in my trip story "[FONT=&quot]At this point my life is at a crossroads. I have no idea when my next trip is or where it will be to. Time will tell"[/FONT]

Last edited:
I take a trip to the tucson gem shows each year by myself. For me the main thing to be comfortable with is dining alone, and as a female, being ready to rebuff any potential unwanted advances. .

I wish I had to rebuff advances when I travel alone. :-(

That's what you think. Strangers who "advance" upon lone travelers are not generally the ones you would choose, and their agendas tend to be suspect.

I wish I had to rebuff advances when I travel alone. :-(

That's what you think. Strangers who "advance" upon lone travelers are not generally the ones you would choose, and their agendas tend to be suspect.

Yes. Men, consider yourselves lucky to not get this. When you're a women alone, let's just say it's not rare that the stranger isn't thrilled when you gently turn them down. You spend the rest of your stay hoping they don't end up in your elevator or on your floor in the hotel.

What's OAT & OAG?

OAG is the Official Airline Guide, which had schedules of every airline flight in the world so you can look up a destination and quickly see everything you need to know. I remember using it in the 1970's - it was thick as a telephone book & updated regularly. Before everything was available online, it seemed amazing to have all that info at your fingertips.

OAT is Overseas Adventure Travel, a tour operator. Several friends have gone on their trips and gave them enthusiastic reviews.

Last edited:
OAG is the Official Airline Guide, which had schedules of every airline flight in the world so you can look up a destination and quickly see everything you need to know. I remember using it in the 1970's - it was thick as a telephone book & updated regularly. Before everything was available online, it seemed amazing to have all that info at your fingertips.

And it really helped with clueless corporate travel agents. "Book me on United Flight 123 from here to Chicago, connecting to United Flight 456 from Chicago to Fargo". It was the easiest way to control departure and layover times. A few times I had to spoon-feed them the codes for airports they didn't know existed (City Island in Toronto and City Airport in London).

What attracts this sort of person in the first place (and it can sometimes be a woman, though not often) is that a woman, traveling on her own, is often seen as "vulnerable." A mark, in other words. Then, when we turn out to be anything but, the stranger feels a bit chagrined and can get angry.

I can see something similar happening to men who are on their own - just not as often, and not to every man.

Yes. Men, consider yourselves lucky to not get this. When you're a women alone, let's just say it's not rare that the stranger isn't thrilled when you gently turn them down. You spend the rest of your stay hoping they don't end up in your elevator or on your floor in the hotel.

China specifically: good to realize in certain areas you might be the tourist attraction, and in the minority in some places. The bulk of tourists in the forbidden city for example (>90%) are Chinese from other parts of the country. Not all of them have seen their fair share of non-Asians yet.

It's funny you mention this. I've traveled to China for work and toured with an in-country colleague(s). One day in the Forbidden City a family asked the (a bit) older woman colleague I was there with if they could take a picture with me, probably assuming I was my colleague's daughter. I was confused, even after the explanation. I'm just your average light brown haired American. I still think of this encounter from time to time. It was quite memorable - that my quite average appearance would be so unique to warrant a photo to take home and show to friends and other family.

To OPer, go and take precautions when appropriate. Always take a card for your hotel. You can just give it to the cab driver, no language problem.

To OPer, go and take precautions when appropriate. Always take a card for your hotel. You can just give it to the cab driver, no language problem.

Just try to be aware of what direction and distance your hotel might be.

In China, my friend and I noticed that cabbie was driving us in the wrong direction. :mad:

We started protesting and motioning that he needed to turn around. And he eventually did. Not sure how far out of the way he would have taken us had we not made a fuss.

omni

I take a trip to the tucson gem shows each year by myself. For me the main thing to be comfortable with is dining alone, and as a female, being ready to rebuff any potential unwanted advances.
You have never been interested in anyone who approached you?

Yeah some of the responses confuse me .... if your going with a tour group your not traveling alone.

"Traveling alone" to me means that I'm not on the trip with anyone I know, not that I won't ever talk to anyone or do things with the same person more than once on the trip.

I flew to Nassau alone on August 31st. No one I knew was in that country when I got there or showed up while I was there. I spend the next week with the same 15 people however, and by the end of the trip I'd call most of them friends, but that's because I made friends while traveling alone, not because I went on a trip with friends.

To me, one of the major benefits of traveling alone is that I'm much, much, much more likely to make new friends and meet new people when I go do things I enjoy by myself as opposed to with a group of people I'm already friends with.

I go to "do" things on my vacations, and one thing I do primarily on solo-trips is "meet new people".

To the OP, yes, I travel alone, regularly. This year I've done two international trips by myself, PDC Mexico and diving in the Bahamas. Working on planning a trip for next year as we speak.

Last edited:
If alone, I would do group travel for most of it, but add a few days on my own here and there.

We have had best of luck enjoying other people in a (always small - 16 max) travel group if we had a strong interest in common such as photography or birdwatching or ocean mammals.

We once traveled on a more generic small group trip - with an educational travel focus (culture, history, geography, some wildlife) but I found our travel companions passive and quite boring. The itinerary was great though.

Last edited:
You have never been interested in anyone who approached you?

Not if you are married and not looking. I’m usually a friendly person, smile easily at people and that’s my problem. In France, there was a young guy who stayed at the same small hotel as my husband and I. Let’s say, I was extremely uncomfortable of being watched at dinner. I think part of my problem is my husband and I don’t wear rings, one couple there mentioned that to us, that made us aware of this problem. I didn’t know people take this ring thing so seriously.
Maybe my husband didn’t look threatening enough. He needs to get more tattoos.

Last edited:
If alone, I would do group travel for most of it, but add a few days on my own here and there.

We have had best of luck enjoying other people in a (always small - 16 max) travel group if we had a strong interest in common such as photography or birdwatching or ocean mammals.

We once traveled on a more generic small group trip - with an educational travel focus (culture, history, geography, some wildlife) but I found our travel companions passive and quite boring. The itinerary was great though.
I would do this too. But I have people that I can travel with. My sister, my ex-secretary, tag along with one of my brother’s family, or take trips with the seniors from the senior center. At least once you are part of a group, you can avoid people who think you are alone and can be vulnerable.

What attracts this sort of person in the first place (and it can sometimes be a woman, though not often) is that a woman, traveling on her own, is often seen as "vulnerable." A mark, in other words. Then, when we turn out to be anything but, the stranger feels a bit chagrined and can get angry.

I can see something similar happening to men who are on their own - just not as often, and not to every man.

Just happened to a girlfriend this weekend at a bar scene. She lost her buddy (another female) was pursued as vulnerable by an ahole who doesn't think no means no, and ended with a couple of key punches and a scene to get rid of said a-hole. Even had the nerve to try and jump into her uber when she told the driver, lock the doors I don't know this creep.
A reminder to never lose sight of your drinks as well, people do not fight fair anymore.

Not if you are married and not looking. I’m usually a friendly person, smile easily at people and that’s my problem. In France, there was a young guy who stayed at the same small hotel as my husband and I. Let’s say, I was extremely uncomfortable of being watched at dinner. I think part of my problem is my husband and I don’t wear rings, one couple there mentioned that to us, that made us aware of this problem. I didn’t know people take this ring thing so seriously.
Maybe my husband didn’t look threatening enough. He needs to get more tattoos.

All about perception. That creep perceived you as vulnerable. Next time, just start fondling your husband, make out with him, make it a scene of love so grand that nobody would want to get in the middle.

I've traveled alone to ski the mountains since kids are too small and DW is not interested. I always find people to talk to. Sometimes other friends see my FB post and want to join in on the fun. I wouldn't mind doing a week long rafting trip, I now DW would not go on that but there would certainly be others on the adventure.

I enjoy the alone trips...until I don't. Then I cannot wait to see the wife and kids.

Back
Top Bottom