Does anyone here travel alone?

Kelor

Recycles dryer sheets
I have an itch to go to China, and the lovely Mrs. doesn't have any desire to go.

I'm considering just going by myself for a couple of weeks. Does anyone else take individual trips without the spouse?

Is China a place I could go by myself and have an enjoyable time?

I have an itch to go to China, and the lovely Mrs. doesn't have any desire to go.

I'm considering just going by myself for a couple of weeks. Does anyone else take individual trips without the spouse?

It’s not for me but to each his own, i have a few unmarried friends that have traveled solo to Korea, Japan, Russia, they all had a great time

I am leaving with my family of four for NYC tomorrow,this will make our second international trip this year and 4th in the past year. I have no desire to travel anymore but I must abide for the wife and kids! That said, I am sending the YW
to Istanbul on her own later this year and then she is going to Australia for a few weeks at the end of the year. When I was younger. I traveled solo a lot and really enjoyed it. My YW has never gone anywhere alone and is really excited.

I was in the same situation, as my late wife did not want to go. After she passed away, I took a 2 week tour of China with Odysseys Unlimited. They feature small (16-20) groups. We stayed at one hotel that was also for Vantage Tours. I asked one of the people how many in their group, and they said 44!
I did not have any problem as a single on the trip. Everyone was very friendly.
While we were on tour, our guide made arrangements to have a chop made with my name in Chinese characters, The actual chop is about an inch square and has my Chinese astrological sign on the top. It came in a beautiful red case with a red ink pot.
Also, when we were in Xain to see the Terra Cotta warriors. I bought 3 small warriors from the museum that were made the same way the originals were, There were peddlers outside selling cheap imitations that would dissolve in a week LOL

I have attached my story in 2 parts because of its size. I also attached a picture of the stamp of my chop

Attachments

• High Road to China-October 2005pt1.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • High Road to China-October 2005pt2.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • chop.pdf
    13.2 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
I haven’t except for “trips” to see my dad. My DW has gone places with DD. I do however feel your pain. I want to go places that I know DW would not want to go and would not enjoy. However, she would go, I guess to be a good companion. Problem is, when someone doesn’t want to be there, no matter how good their intentions or how hard they try, they’re not good company. This is compounded by the fact that you’re spending about twice as much money. I’d consider it. I do go to concerts alone. DW and I have different tastes in music.

Last edited:
I traveled all my life w/o the wife and she traveled w/o me.

I was in the same situation, as my late wife did not want to go. After she passed away, I took a 2 week tour of China with Odysseys Unlimited. They feature small (16-20) groups. We stayed at one hotel that was also for Vantage Tours. I asked one of the people how many in their group, and they said 44!
I did not have any problem as a single on the trip. Everyone was very friendly.

I agree with Souchef, a small tour would be best. But if you want to try it alone:

I have been to China many times on business. Usually with a local from our office, but several times without.

Shanghai is easy to get around as an outsider. Most folks speak a little English, and many speak very proper English. Use "official" cabs from your hotel. They cost a little more, but worth it.

Outside of Shanghai, things are more hit and miss. Beijing can be more difficult. ALWAYS carry the card from your hotel, with the location written in Chinese. An easy way to get back, without relying on spoken language.

The train system is actually pretty good, but when you leave Shanghai, be prepared for far less English in the signage.

I found the people to be extremely friendly and helpful. But be careful if they are TOO friendly and helpful!

Good luck on your Journey!

Oh, I almost forgot, be sure to stay in "western" friendly hotels. Unless you want the toilet to be a hole in the floor.

^^ I’m going to Vietnam for the first time next week and pre booked my ride from the airport to hotel for $10 and they’ll be waiting for me with a sign and my name on it at the airport, I thought it was the best way to go without getting ripped off

Thanks for the responses. I take plenty of trips without her, but never solo. I think I will bring this up to her tonight.

I think you should go alone. No reason not to.

Thanks for the responses. I take plenty of trips without her, but never solo. I think I will bring this up to her tonight.

If not your wife who is going with you?

OK, I meant who were you traveling with before?

OK, I meant who were you traveling with before?

Ahh. We do many golf and fishing trips without the ladies (usually between 6 and 16 guys). Our next one is on August 8-12 in the U.P. After that, it's likely a golf trip in September, January, and March.

I could probably convince one of my daughters to go, but taking 2 weeks off of work for them is not easy. My other friends are not in the financial position that I am in, and most have young kids. Even though I'm only 50, my youngest of 5 kids is 25.

DW and I take many trips together, and a fair amount solo.
Like Cardsfan said, a little situational awareness is in order, but I vote "go."

Yeah you don't want to go with 10 of your golfing buddies for sure.

Go by yourself and have fun!

Planning my first. India in Nonember. DW not interestrd so I will go solo.

Funny you bring it up. I've been looking at taking a trip to China this October. I will be by myself, although I plan to go with a tour group. I don't feel comfortable going it alone, at least not on my first trip there.

We have been on group tours several times and there were couples and solo travellers in the groups.
Many solo travellers told that they do it frequently if partner is not interested in the destination. I would recommend to look for tours with less than 20 persons.
Activities like hiking and biking might also help to establish contact with fellow travellers, but interest in the destination is usually enough to start friendly chats.

Traveled solo past 15 years, was in China (Beijing only) in 2006. Have also traveled with tours a bit and with others, but have strong preference for solo now.

The biggest difference between solo and not solo is you need to pay a bit more attention to your social needs, and you have much more flexibility.

Best way to get social interaction going is at your place where you are staying. Smaller places, hostels (can be luxury), that sort of thing have a natural way of getting interaction going. Same thing with booking bus trips and such for day tour activities, that can usually be booked from your lodging and you'll be hooked up with others. Hostels specifically aren't just for 20-somethings anymore, I've met ample of 60+ folks.

If you want to visit the great wall for example, book a bus tour with other westerners, you'll have your talk for the day. It'll be more expensive, but might be worth it. I've also given rides, sometimes long distance, to other travelers (in New Zealand for example), that sort of thing. I wouldn't recommend renting a car in China though, but you might be able to share a taxi with fellow travelers.

China specifically: good to realize in certain areas you might be the tourist attraction, and in the minority in some places. The bulk of tourists in the forbidden city for example (>90%) are Chinese from other parts of the country. Not all of them have seen their fair share of non-Asians yet.

I had a colleague who liked his own back yard. His wife loved travel. So, she'd go off on her own, sometimes with a female friend. They seemed very happy together.

Now that DH is gone I'm a solo traveler again. That hasn't stopped me. So far I've been to Iceland/Greenland on my own and am headed to Scotland with a side trip to Paris in September. Those are just me, no groups. I also went through the Panama Canal and along the coasts of Panama and Costa Rica with UnCruise and to India and Nepal with Overseas Adventure Travel. OAT doesn't have a single supplement and I was VERY impressed with them- we had 14 people in the group. Both UnCruise and OAT attract an older group (50s and up) so even though there are married couples, they're not honeymooners stuck to each other 24/7 and it was pretty easy to mingle. I don't need my hand held in Europe but it was great having experienced local guides in India and Nepal and I'd feel the same about China.

Traveled solo past 15 years, was in China (Beijing only) in 2006. Have also traveled with tours a bit and with others, but have strong preference for solo now.

The biggest difference between solo and not solo is you need to pay a bit more attention to your social needs, and you have much more flexibility.

Best way to get social interaction going is at your place where you are staying. Smaller places, hostels (can be luxury), that sort of thing have a natural way of getting interaction going. Same thing with booking bus trips and such for day tour activities, that can usually be booked from your lodging and you'll be hooked up with others. Hostels specifically aren't just for 20-somethings anymore, I've met ample of 60+ folks.

If you want to visit the great wall for example, book a bus tour with other westerners, you'll have your talk for the day. It'll be more expensive, but might be worth it. I've also given rides, sometimes long distance, to other travelers (in New Zealand for example), that sort of thing. I wouldn't recommend renting a car in China though, but you might be able to share a taxi with fellow travelers.

China specifically: good to realize in certain areas you might be the tourist attraction, and in the minority in some places. The bulk of tourists in the forbidden city for example (>90%) are Chinese from other parts of the country. Not all of them have seen their fair share of non-Asians yet.

As far as I know, you need a Chinese driver's license to rent a car in China. Even in that case, I do not recommend to drive in China, The traffics are very bad and traffic rules are not followed.

We have been on group tours several times and there were couples and solo travellers in the groups.
Many solo travellers told that they do it frequently if partner is not interested in the destination. I would recommend to look for tours with less than 20 persons.
Activities like hiking and biking might also help to establish contact with fellow travellers, but interest in the destination is usually enough to start friendly chats.

If you like to be a solo traveler, why do you need to interact a lot with other travelers?

It is very crowded there, especially during their holidays.

If you like to be a solo traveler, why do you need to interact a lot with other travelers?

It makes a big difference when you're with others because each of you notices things the others don't and has different knowledge of history, culture, languages, etc. I travel because I love to learn new things. When DH and I traveled together he knew a ton of history that I didn't, but I could fake my way through a few European languages. Now that he's gone, I get some of that in group travel. My neurons are firing, my brain is working- I want to share it with someone!

I still like settling into my own nice, quiet room at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom