Getting the cheapest airfare for a Prince Cruise

BlueberryPie

Recycles dryer sheets
I just booked a cruise to Alaska for next summer with Princess

They are touting their EZ-fare program that lets you book a flight through their system and change it at any time until 45 days from the cruise. Obviously it's great to be able to change your flight for free if you find something cheaper and that service has value, and there are a few other perks to booking through their system (if your flight is delayed they "guarantee" you can still take the cruise)

But their claim of negotiating cheaper fares is not holding water right now. I could book the exact same flights through the airlines and save $90 per person, so their fare is approx 12% higher.

How do you guys go about when to pull the trigger on a flight? Are tools like Google Flight or Hopper? Hopper tells me both of my flight segments could go down by $200 (but this is not a round-trip the cruise starts in Anchorage and ends in Vancouver, BC, so the odds of both one-way going down at the same time are low?)

I would start by contacting Princess directly or through your agent if you're using one. Complain politely and ask for a price match and a low price guarantee going forward. They will turn you down on the guarantee but it may improve your chances on the match.

. . .(if your flight is delayed they "guarantee" you can still take the cruise)

In todays crazy air travel environment, you don’t think it’s worth $90 per person to ensure that the cruise company will help you if your flight is delayed? I think you’re discounting the value of buying the airfare through them a little too much.

In todays crazy air travel environment, you don’t think it’s worth $90 per person to ensure that the cruise company will help you if your flight is delayed? I think you’re discounting the value of buying the airfare through them a little too much.
That's no reason to hold off on trying to get a fare match. You don't get what you don't ask for. Absent a match, then your comment pertains.

That's no reason to hold off on trying to get a fare match. You don't get what you don't ask for. Absent a match, then your comment pertains.

I agree with that. I just think comparing rates and thinking about buying outside of the cruise line is comparing apples to oranges.

Back
Top Bottom