Help me plan a Bermuda vacay

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
We've never been. I live in Yorktown, VA so have access to a number of airports and will even travel to NYC or Charlotte if the price is right. Wondering which airport provides the cheapest flights and if you have any lodging recommendations, please share.
I'm also considering a cruise as an affordable way to go but have stories about ending up with a shortened amount of time on the islands.

Wear a tracker and hope you don't go missing.

We've only cruised to Bermuda - twice, so don't have hotel recommendations. However, as far as something really good to do - Tom Moore's Jungle. You can take the public bus there, and it's free. Go into a couple caves, swim in them, a couple of springs you can swim in, a little bit of hiking. There's also a beach area. When we went, there were 3 or 4 other folks there. Google for it, and you'll find all the info you need.

Attachments

• IMG_20180528_123030.jpg
    IMG_20180528_123030.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180528_123009.jpg
    IMG_20180528_123009.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20180528_115508.jpg
    IMG_20180528_115508.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20180528_115457.jpg
    IMG_20180528_115457.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20180528_115131.jpg
    IMG_20180528_115131.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 25
The Reefs Resort is a stunning Hotel in a beautiful location, check them out --
https://www.thereefs.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0Jfn7fu4_AIVFKjICh1z6gCUEAAYASAAEgJ1-PD_BwE

You could also stay in downtown Hamilton if you prefer that type of location. The choice is up to you.....google Hotels in Hamilton Bermuda.

Rent a moped and get out to see the rest of the Island. Remember they still drive on the 'British' side of the road. Stop in at Henry VII Pub for a pint.
https://www.henrys.bm/

You're on your own for airport selection.....google is your friend.

We have been twice. Every time I check I feel like it should be possible to get there quickly but I find that is not the case.

But it is a fabulous spot.

Last time we stayed at the Royal Palms, which is very close to downtown Hamilton-which has its own charms. And very near the Fairmont Princess where we visited the bar and had a "dark and stormy". I know folks have stayed in the resorty accommodations on the beaches but we have not seen that as a value if you have a scooter. You can easily explore the entire island which is what we like to do.

We have eaten at Portofino in Hamilton twice-with probably 20 years in between. Very good both times.

The best for us was cruising all over the island on our scooter. The island has gotten busier since our first trip but we loved riding double-which we did both times. It requires a sense of adventure. They may not let you do that anymore. Swimsuits in your little carrier and you are ready for anything.

If you like caverns there are two there as I recall. One is Leamington Caves. We like them.

There are also a few snorkeling spots. We found them to be just ok but still fun. There is a good bit of history there and some great accents.

Accommodations are a bit on the pricey side. We went in late summer both times and it was not too bad.

Get a scooter like this one. PXL_20220803_202952928.MP.jpg

Edit to add: We have not done a cruise there. Would recommend staying on island-you will get a much greater sense of the place and have more time.

Last edited:
I lived there for three years when I was a kid. Wife and I did a cruise abouit 10 years ago where the boat docked in Hamilton for a couple days then docked in St. George. We liked the idea of a cruise and not having to search out a hotel. Rented scooters and rode two up. Speed limit on the island is 20mph. Bermuda is basically 21 miles long and a mile wide.

My BIL and his wife stayed here https://www.azurabermuda.com/ a couple months ago and liked it. They enjoyed Bermuda, but they said you take your life in your hands with some taxi drivers there…

Last edited:
Started going to Bermuda as a kid with my family in the 1960s. DW and I go almost every year. An easy hour and a half flight from Boston.

I'd try to avoid hotels that are at the far ends of the island (even though they're terrific) only because you'll find yourself a long, long way from everything. $100 cab rides come to mind.

But do check out "Blu" restaurant and reserve a table on the outdoor patio one evening. On a hill overlooking Hamilton harbor. Very pricey, but worth every penny. Magical.

Another is the Harborfront Restaurant. Tables are right down on the harbor and fish come up to your table begging for bread. Again, very pricey (everything in Bermuda is pricey) but worth it.

We love the "1609" restaurant at the Hamilton Princess for a casual dinner right on the harbor.

If you're going to the more public beaches, ask your hotel which days the cruise ships are in town and avoid those beaches that day (think: Caddie Day on Caddyshack)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom