Hiking the Cinque Terre as a senior.

If it were me I wouldn't do it. I am 68 and hubby is 70. I live in a hilly area and after 2 miles or so I get really tired and things start hurting.

Then again I have neighbors- 86 and 75 and they do much better than me. You know yourself better than anyone.

Always wanted to go to Cinque Terre and surrounds, but decided against it for that reason, amongst others. Instead doing a 16 day small group tour of Sicily and Southern Italy with Odyssey Unlimited. If there is anything we can't physically do we will sit it out, but I think we will be ok on this one. And going the end of October when it's cooler.

You can definitely enjoy the scenery as well as things like food in the Cinque Terre without doing difficult hikes with a lot of up and down hikes.

Most of the villages, you can get out from the train station and walk to the waterfront. Corniglia does have stairs though, to reach from the train station.

https://beautifuliguria.com/2011/05/04/382-steps-to-corniglia-cinque-terre/

Otherwise, you can take the ferry between the villages as well, more costly than the train and the schedule isn't as frequent but beautiful views from the ferry.

Also you can take the trains or the ferry to nearby places which also don't require much hiking up or down. They do have attractions which do require climbing, like Portovenere or Portofino. However, you can also stay at the waterline level and still enjoy beautiful scenery.

I think that you will be OK to visit each village, but some trails between villages may be challenging. You can ride trains between villages.

Back
Top Bottom