How Long does TSA Precheck Approval Take?

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have an appointment at the local TSA office this Friday to apply for Pre-Check. Just wondered how long others have had to wait from application to approval.

My understanding is that the fingerprints have to go to the FBI...presumably the closest FBI office, but still, those folks are always busy and probably have backlogs.

Thanks,

Amethyst

A few folks discuss it here - about a year ago, sounds like 8 business days or less?: https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/transportation/how-long-to-get-a-tsa-pre-check

We did the Global Entry application online (on a weekend), and about 5 days (4 business days) later got conditional approval (with a known traveler number assigned) after which I scheduled our interview. Luckily, we were able to do the interview the next day. And the number was valid once the interview completed.

They did the fingerprints and FBI check during the interview. They have online access - at least the Customs and Border Protection officials did at our interview location.

It was three days for my wife and two weeks for me. We applied at the same time but I suspect it took longer since I was born overseas (in a US Army hospital).

This is a good time to pile on and talk about how nice it's been always going through TSA-precheck and not having to unpack stuff or take off our shoes, watches, etc. You still have to empty your pockets.

And global entry coming into the US at IAH was such a breeze! Very crowded immigration area, but we went through so fast and no lines!!!

And global entry coming into the US at IAH was such a breeze! Very crowded immigration area, but we went through so fast and no lines!!!

Coming back from Europe through JFK last week there were about 250-300 people in line, but we just looked over at them, shook our heads and walked right up to available Global Entry kiosks and were out within a minute or two. It really is a great system.

For Global Entry, ours was immediate. As in, we were interviewed by the ICE agent and he gave us our numbers right there and said we could use them immediately on airline reservations, that our passports had been updated for use at the kiosks, and that we'd be getting our cards in the mail in a week or so, which we did.

I do hold a security clearance which was issued by DHS (on behalf of another non-DoD agency), so they already had my fingerprints on file. DH hadn't ever been fingerprinted, but he had the same experience I did.

It took three days for me a few years ago. I managed to get an appointment one day after I decided to get precheck, with the caveat that I had to drive an hour and a half one way. A nearby location had no availablilty within 12 weeks.

Fast forward to last year. Took 3 weeks for DS to get an appointment and then 3 days later, he had his KTN.

In both cases, we got our KTNs by logging in to the TSA website; it was maybe 2 weeks before a letter showed up in the mail.

Once you have your KTN remember to update your profile on any airline where you have a profile stored, and make sure it is in your reservation. You should be able to add it to existing reservations. The TSA needs it something like 7 to 10 days before the flight for you to be issued a pre-check boarding pass, if I remember correctly. I couldn't find a reference.

If you haven't already applied, consider Global Entry, a broader program with all the TSA pre-check benefits. My TSA pre-check application was projected to take 6-8 weeks to clear, but I got my known traveler number and full approval in less than a week. Maybe the 6-8 weeks is a worst case they told us, in case deeper investigation was required?

There's no GE application point within easy driving distance; fortunately we aren't planning to cross any national borders soon. Our passports are out of date as well. Thanks, though!

If you haven't already applied, consider Global Entry, a broader program with all the TSA pre-check benefits. My TSA pre-check application was projected to take 6-8 weeks to clear, but I got my known traveler number and full approval in less than a week. Maybe the 6-8 weeks is a worst case they told us, in case deeper investigation was required?

Yeah, if you don't travel internationally, then global entry is not worth the extra trouble considering how limited the interview locations are.

We're lucky in that we live on the border, but we still had to wait a couple of days until some offices opened up locally (at international bridges), because otherwise we are way to far from the big international airports that do interviews.

I was going to do GE instead of TSA pre-check, but a DUI ~20 years ago when I was young and stupid will likely disqualify me (convicted of a crime) so I didn't want to waste the money just to be denied. I was trusted to sleep between nuclear missiles and run a nuclear reactor for almost a decade after that conviction by the government, but coming back from Jamaica would be just too much of a risk for me to be approved for GE it seems.

Yeah, I know and accept it's my fault, I just see the irony in that I could be in charge of a nuclear reactor on a submarine while holding a security clearance by I don't qualify to be "trusted" by CBP.

I just got my GOES card this Wednesday after my appointment on Tuesday of the preceding week. Sadly, my spouse "forgot" to apply for his. At least I can keep my shoes on my arthritic feet.

Last edited:
will likely disqualify me (convicted of a crime) so I didn't want to waste the money just to be denied.

The GE website says that convictions "may" disqualify you, not that it's a sure thing, so it might be worthwhile giving it a try.

A quote from an LA Times article from last year that talked about people appealing GE denials and getting in the program:
Staff has been added in the years since Global Entry started to deal with appeals of denial, which is an improvement. It used to be that any offense was an automatic denial, no exceptions. Now there is a chance you can explain and/or Customs will exercise some critical thinking.

Global Entry program turns this traveler down, then reconsiders--and here's why

It doesn't cost anything to apply and get an appointment. You could explain the situation at the appointment and, based on the reaction, decide whether it's worth it to go ahead and pay for the process.

I was going to do GE instead of TSA pre-check, but a DUI ~20 years ago when I was young and stupid will likely disqualify me (convicted of a crime) so I didn't want to waste the money just to be denied. .

It really is ridiculous. I have a security clearance too, but I happen to be a married female who took her husband's surname, so that created an issue.

In preparation for the appointment, I had to pay $255 and wait a couple of months to have my name legally changed, because my passport has 4 names on it and all my other documents only have 3.

The State Dept. refused to let me drop my given first name when I got married - all other authorities were OK with it, including Social Security. My driver license and everything else has my given middle name, my maiden surname, and married surname. But State? They had to have the whole darn four-name history on there. And if all your documents don't match, TSA will not certify you - unless you show proof of legal name change.

It doesn't cost anything to apply and get an appointment. You could explain the situation at the appointment and, based on the reaction, decide whether it's worth it to go ahead and pay for the process.

I thought you had to pay whether you were being approved or not. Maybe I'll see about doing it later. I just really hate to throw away $100 when I don't see anything saying people have gotten approved with a DUI conviction, even if it was a lifetime ago.

Mine took between 2 and 3 weeks. I think it all depends on where you do it and the volume in queue.

It is so worth it, I will renew it if I traveled only once per year. I got it just me, but whenever we travel together I book DH on the same trip as passenger 2, and it always clears him as well so we only paid for one, but get two.

I'd estimate in the 2 years I've had it, I've saved myself easily 10 hours from not having to go to the airport quite so early. I travel out of MIA quite a bit so that line can be ridiculous if you are regular.

Coming back from Europe through JFK last week there were about 250-300 people in line, but we just looked over at them, shook our heads and walked right up to available Global Entry kiosks and were out within a minute or two. It really is a great system.

I was bent on NOT bothering with a Global Entry card because I'm trying to minimize international travel, but you guys are making me reconsider...... it IS very tough to stand in a 300 person line after a tiring transatlantic flight. No doubt about that. :mad:

I thought you had to pay whether you were being approved or not.
I don't see anything saying people have gotten approved with a DUI conviction, even if it was a lifetime ago.

You're right, the $100 is an application fee and not returnable if denied.

But if your conviction was over 10 years ago you would at least have a fighting chance of appealing a denial according to everything I've read.

Actually you have to pay ahead.

Good to know. I didn't have to pay to apply online, so I guess you mean they ask for payment before you can talk to a human at the application office?

Actually you have to pay ahead.

For Global Entry, check your credit card benefits and see if you have on that rebates the fee. That's the main reason we went ahead and got it instead of pre-check (also, we live a lot closer to a GE interview center than a pre-check one). The rebate came through within 24 hours of the charge, way before we even had the interviews, so even if they had denied us it still would have cost us nothing.

Good to know. I didn't have to pay to apply online, so I guess you mean they ask for payment before you can talk to a human at the application office?
No - that's a difference between the Global Entry program and the TSA Pre-check program. The overall process is different even though both give you a KTN which gives you TSA Pre-check.

With GOES, you pay to apply online, then you get a conditional approval letter with your KTN, then you schedule an interview, then if you "pass" your interview (which includes FBI screening), you are approved. You get to use your KTN, and you get an RFD GOES card to use at border crossings. And you get to use the super fast lane at immigration.

I noticed that once I turned 60 we started to have TSA pre check printed on our boarding passes on most flights so we did not need to pay. I have heard from others that once they turned 60 this happened to them too. I guess they figure old people won't be terrorists:))

Back
Top Bottom