Medicare

mitchjav

Recycles dryer sheets
So I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the thread.. but a quick search could not find it - so guessing folks here have some quick answers. DW and I are not yet taking Social Security and she is turning 65 in November. She applied today for Medicare Parts A & B on the SS website. Assuming she has to wait for approval and a Medicare # before she tries to apply for Medicare Advantage or Supplement --- is that correct? How long does SS take to turnaround her application? Does she need to be signed up for Medicare Advantage or Supplement before November?

Thanks, Mitch

She will have her card in a few weeks. Yes, she cannot apply for MA or Medigap until she gets her card. You have plenty of time. I picked a plan three weeks before my benefits began. That was plenty of time.

She does not need to be signed up for MA or Supplement (Medigap) before November. 7 month window. 3 before. The month. 3 months after.

I recommend that you start reading.

I, and others here, highly recommend Boomer Benefits. Even if you don't end up using them the informational videos that they have on their website are very good.

Part A (hospital coverage) is usually free... you've paid for it during your working career. Part B (doctors, etc) is currently $170.10/month unless your income is really high and you are outside of IRMAA Tier 1. Part D is for prescriptions and is usually inexpensive... $10 to $25/month but sometimes has high deductibles and co-pays.

We decided to go with Medigap rather than Medicare Advantage. Our Medigap Plan G covers most everything not covered by Parts A and B other than the Medicare Part B deductible, which was $233 in 2022. The cost of Medigap can vary greatly... we currently pay ~$175/month each.

Check out the YouTube videos from Christopher Westfall of https://seniorsavingsnetwork.org .
His videos are great at explaining why you should avoid Medicare Advantage and go with a Medicare Supplement. MA plans pay a much higher commission than a supplement, but this guy points out the problems you can run into.

Back
Top Bottom