International Travel

treypar

Recycles dryer sheets
I am interested in traveling internationally this year. But I understand that I cannot get back in the USA without a negative Covid test or face 14 day quararntine in whatever I am and whatever cost. I am vaccinated. Why should I take the risk of travel of any international travel until this is resolved

We haven't found it difficult. Tests were easy to find in both Jordan and Egypt. In Iceland, we have a reservation on Monday, for a ~$40 antigen test. I figure if the pandemic didn't keep us home prior to vaccination, it would be penny-wise to not travel now. (You also can buy a package of tests that allow for online testing when overseas)

(A bigger issue is the idiotic mask requirement on flights and in airports, but you can eat and drink slowly enough to ameliorate that.)

_______
E.T.A. a good reason for risking international travel now is to take advantage of the last few months of lesser crowds. It is no longer like traveling even domestically last year, but it is still quite attractive in the destinations we've been in during the past 2 or 3 months.)

Last edited:
Just read a story about a Houston couple saying they are trapped in Argentina. They went dow to visit sick family. Covid situation changed, land borders supposedly closed up tight. Very few planes coming and going. They have called their senators. I think this type of thing could continue to happen for a while yet so plan accordingly and have good backup plans

My son is leaving for a trip to Europe in August. Depending on where you go (and what connections you have getting there) you may not need to test before going. He's flying into Barcelona, which doesn't require testing if you are vaccinated. You have to fill out a form on a portal prior to leaving, which pre-clears you.

Return he has to do a test within 3 days of return. We ordered the emed kit that American Airlines linked to. You log onto a telehealth video session and they walk you through the self test... Apparently it's like a pregnancy test - results visible within 15 minutes. The telehealth tech certifies your results and uploads the data to an app the airline and government accept.

More details here in the thread I started to capture the details as I make sure he won't get stuck in Europe. (18 years old - responsible, but not necessarily thinking about the details.)

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f46/covid-testing-digital-covid-vacc-apps-oh-my-109950.html

For people flying --try the KN95 mask. They are lightweight, fit well, do not fog glasses. I recently wore one for 12 hours while my DH was undergoing surgery in the hospital, no problem.

I was in Chile for three weeks recently, while it was a tremendous PIA to get into the country, getting out only required a PCR test I presented when arriving at Miami. Easy peasy.

Then don’t?

I’ve taken one international trip and have another planned in August. Not a big deal to meet the requirements. I’m also vaccinated.

I am interested in traveling internationally this year. But I understand that I cannot get back in the USA without a negative Covid test or face 14 day quararntine in whatever I am and whatever cost. I am vaccinated. Why should I take the risk of travel of any international travel until this is resolved

The state department has a lot of resources on this, country by country, as well as the things others have noted above.

I'm personally not going to consider international travel this year, not because of testing and quarantine issues so much, but just ... I don't want to go somewhere that might still have restrictions. I don't want to be welcomed as a tourist in a place where the locals are still cautious and think my being there is a bad idea. I don't want to book a trip overseas and show up a month later in the middle of the newest variant hotspot.

I'd rather go when I can go properly and where things are fully open and enjoyable. Plenty of places to travel domestically for 2021.

I have family in Europe, so if other things work out I will go visit this late fall if I can.

We're starting to see countries open up, and airfares are now in the $600's to many locations in October and beyond--down from $1,100 2 weeks ago.

My wife is wanting to buy tickets now to Berlin, however she's having back problems. It's her health that's making me a little hesitant right now. We're going to take it step by step.

Then don’t?

I’ve taken one international trip and have another planned in August. Not a big deal to meet the requirements. I’m also vaccinated.

My concern is that the requirements can change- for good reason, of course, if COVID rates are up in particular areas. I moved an Eastern Europe trip (flying through London both ways) from a June 26 departure to next August because of the uncertainty of flying through the UK, especially my planned overnight on the way home.

I was supposed to go on a cruise to Belize and Guatemala in October and changed it to Alaska next month. (Vaccination and negative PCR test required of everyone on board.) An acquaintance just returned from Belize and loved it but I didn't want to risk having things change.

My next planned international departure is next May for Peru and the Galapagos. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
We haven't looked at restarting our international travel yet, but the COVID reinforces our desire to avoid groups of any kind. The idea of a cruise-size group seems insane to me, but we didn't like cruises when they were safe.

Thanks for all of the replies. The State Department recommends delaying travel to this destination (Level 3) due to high Covid levels. Even though I am vaccinated, I will probably delay the trip until restrictions are lifted. I do not want to take the risk of traveling and when I am ready to fly home, find out that I have a positive test and have to quarantine in a hotel room for 14 days.That outcome would ruin the trip.

I just canceled my September trip to Ireland and Scotland. The flight portion of this was a modification to a couple October cruises out of Venice that were canceled by the cruise line a month or so ago. I kept the flights and booked some hotels and rental cars hoping that travel to Ireland and Scotland would be more clearly open by now. But I've decided that both countries still have enough issues and likely will continue to have them with the Delta variant running amuck. So I pulled the plug and canceled the trip entirely.

But I've re-booked the flights for May 2022. I will get back to Ireland and Scotland at some point!

I found that even for May 2022, the frequent flyer mile requirements are much higher than my current booking was. But I eventually found a reasonable, although less desirable, itinerary for only a few thousand miles more than my last booking.

What concerns me about international travel and cruises now is getting stuck somewhere. Even if you are fully vaccinated you could still test positive (I know several vaccinated people who are not sick but have tested positive). What if you are on a cruise or in a foreign country and test positive? Do you then have to find a hotel and quarantine in your room and then find a way home? Sound like a nightmare to me.

I do not want to take the risk of traveling and when I am ready to fly home, find out that I have a positive test and have to quarantine in a hotel room for 14 days.That outcome would ruin the trip.

That’s a legitimate concern. I read about this before my first trip and came up with a plan in the rare chance that this happened. I’m flexible with travel plans, so even though not ideal, I’d figure it out.

The concern that you’d get stuck somewhere is possible, but one that I’m even less worried about. I would avoid places where I might get stuck, or at least reduce the odds.

Basically, if you’re not willing to deal with some uncertainty with international travel, it’s best to stay in the US. On the plus side, there are lots of great places to visit in the US.

Happy travels!

Edit to add: Athena, I hope you’re travel plans work out!🤞And going to Alaska sounds like a great alternative.

What if you are on a cruise or in a foreign country and test positive? Do you then have to find a hotel and quarantine in your room and then find a way home? Sound like a nightmare to me.
In your scenario it can be. Have you checked into travel medical insurance? Some may provide coverage if you are required to quarantine.

I think international travel can make sense right now. Smaller crowds means greater safety. obviously have to pick your spots. We are considering a trip to Greece, specifically the Greek Isles, here in the early fall.

I think international travel can make sense right now. Smaller crowds means greater safety. obviously have to pick your spots. We are considering a trip to Greece, specifically the Greek Isles, here in the early fall.

Greece? Everybody is going there because it's not crowded. :rolleyes:

An update regarding Iceland. The testing center in Reykjavik is an amazing assembly line. Last week, we made 1400 reservations (@ $40 each) for rapid antigen tests for both of us. Showed up today at 1300, tested at 1310, exited parking lot at 1320--and they were busy with Americans needing tests. Results were emailed to us at 1331.

So if Iceland is on your list, it seems hard to beat in complying with USA's entry requirement. (And, after we arrived, they've dropped the testing upon arrival requirement for vaccinated Americans....)

Covid is far from over. The international travel situation will remain fluid.

Just look at how it has changed in some parts of North America over the past few weeks. Same in other countries.

An update regarding Iceland. The testing center in Reykjavik is an amazing assembly line. Last week, we made 1400 reservations (@ $40 each) for rapid antigen tests for both of us. Showed up today at 1300, tested at 1310, exited parking lot at 1320--and they were busy with Americans needing tests. Results were emailed to us at 1331.

So if Iceland is on your list, it seems hard to beat in complying with USA's entry requirement. (And, after we arrived, they've dropped the testing upon arrival requirement for vaccinated Americans....)

That's good to know. Hopefully I will be there next month as long as I get my passport renewal back that I sent three months ago...

Oh yes, I know! I originally was going to rent an SUV for about 12 days and it was about $1800 (reserved in April). I changed it to a cruise around Iceland so I only need the SUV for three days--reserved it about a month ago--and that is almost $1000.

DB and DSIL are going to be traveling in France with their kids (from Netherlands) when the COVID pass becomes required. They are mostly staying at a campground. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Back
Top Bottom