Is Real ID worth it?

Ok, why wouldn't you get a real id?

Doesn't cost more, just gather the doc's and do it.
In PA I had to shell out an extra $30.- above the $50.- renewal fee.

Security theater it is, but not free.

Ok, why wouldn't you get a real id?

Doesn't cost more, just gather the doc's and do it.

Simple cost-benefit analysis. I lack an original birth certificate, having only a copy. To get an original would be a hassle, a big hassle. The benefit to getting one would be likely zero. I haven't flown in an airplane since late 2003, and I have no reason to expect I will ever need to fly anywhere ever again. The cost greatly exceeds the benefit, so I choose not to get one.

Simple cost-benefit analysis. I lack an original birth certificate, having only a copy. To get an original would be a hassle, a big hassle. The benefit to getting one would be likely zero. I haven't flown in an airplane since late 2003, and I have no reason to expect I will ever need to fly anywhere ever again. The cost greatly exceeds the benefit, so I choose not to get one.

I didn't need a birth certificate. There are lots of other docs you can use. I took my voter ID reg, and my SS card, and my passport for good measure.

And I didn't even have all those. I went to the various sites and ordered replacement cards (good to have anyway) a couple of months before I went for my ID. Some states don't charge extra for Real ID at present (mine doesn't, I don't think so anyway).

That has been my thinking on a passport. I hope I don't suddenly "need" to travel to a foreign country. As far as Real ID, we fly every year, so it's just one more frustration of living in a free country.:facepalm:

I didn't need a birth certificate. There are lots of other docs you can use. I took my voter ID reg, and my SS card, and my passport for good measure.

And I didn't even have all those. I went to the various sites and ordered replacement cards (good to have anyway) a couple of months before I went for my ID. Some states don't charge extra for Real ID at present (mine doesn't, I don't think so anyway).

I looked up what I needed and the original BC was one of them, along with a set of other documents I needed to show 2 of, for example. I don't have a passport. So it was pointless to make a trip to DMV just to have them tell me they can't give me a RealID.

I have 2 passports, for both the UK and the US, and always keep them current. Nevertheless, I got a Real ID about a year ago. Who knows - maybe I'll need to enter a Federal building and won't have my passport on me!

I had all the necessary documentation, and didn't see a reason not to get it.

First I've heard that there are substitutes for BC. Makes sense as some folks never had one issued (very few, of course.)

I had to call SS to get a new card as I'd long ago lost/misplaced my original. Not the worst hassle to get a Real ID, but way more than I like but YMMV.

Apologies if someone already mentioned this. I read that DHS has extended the Real ID deadline to May 7, 2025.

Huh, interesting state you have there.

Next door here in Ohio I renewed my DL last week and it cost $27.25 for the real ID compliant ID (same as the non-compliant one). That’s for four years. I opted to pay double and not have to renew for eight years.

And it was another example why I love living outside the big cities. It literally took me less than five minutes to do this - including them taking a photo. I remember renewing a DL in California and it taking well over an hour dealing with long lines.

Tell Ohio to get on the ball. The young wife and I just renewed our driver's licenses entirely online. It helped that we already had the Real ID licenses from our last renewal, six years ago.

Apologies if someone already mentioned this. I read that DHS has extended the Real ID deadline to May 7, 2025.

Heh, heh, and by end of 2024, they'll likely extend again.:cool smiley: (That's speculation on my part, but I think I'd go even money on it though YMMV.)

Security theater it is, but not free.

Huh, interesting state you have there.

Next door here in Ohio I renewed my DL last week and it cost $27.25 for the real ID compliant ID (same as the non-compliant one). That’s for four years. I opted to pay double and not have to renew for eight years.

And it was another example why I love living outside the big cities. It literally took me less than five minutes to do this - including them taking a photo. I remember renewing a DL in California and it taking well over an hour dealing with long lines.

I think ours cost about $20 but we had to have an appointment - no exceptions or walk ins. Also, they are only good for 2 years IIRC because of our age. I thought that was strange as I've never heard of anyone being required to take a driving test due to age in our state - so why every 2 years instead of 8? Maybe they figure you're okay if you can walk in and fill out the paper work.:facepalm:

Anyone know if you need all the documentation to RENEW a Real ID??

Anyone know if you need all the documentation to RENEW a Real ID??

I doubt it. When I moved to PA, they were not yet issuing Real IDs. However, they were starting to accept the proof documentation to get a Real ID. So I brought in all my documents and they did whatever they do with them. Then a few years later when the state finally was able to generate Real ID licenses, I was able to be mailed my Real ID license without having to appear in person. So I would hope the same will happen at my next renewal.

I doubt it. When I moved to PA, they were not yet issuing Real IDs. However, they were starting to accept the proof documentation to get a Real ID. So I brought in all my documents and they did whatever they do with them. Then a few years later when the state finally was able to generate Real ID licenses, I was able to be mailed my Real ID license without having to appear in person. So I would hope the same will happen at my next renewal.

Yes, let us hope. Getting a DL should not seem like an IRS audit!:(

Like much of what sprung up after 9/11, I think it is as much "security theater" as anything else.

The game is quite lucrative for a handful of folks. Since there are still funds (grants) being doled out to municipalities and other local government administrative units, "consultants" make hefty fees helping them write proposals and haul in the cash. For the "consultants" (often retired government employees), they just have to pick out the boiler-plate from their files that best fits, make a few modifications and turn it in. Easy money.......

For me it was easy. Made an appointment, brought in the doc's, filled out the computer form and back to the head of the line, doc's examined and out the door. Fifteen minutes from in the door to out the door. No extra charge.

We got our driver's licenses upgraded to Real ID format last summer when our state finally made it easy to do so. Less than 20 minutes including waiting time.

But we already had three other forms of ID that would fill the same purpose (passport cards, NEXUS cards, and military ID cards) so it was a very low priority for us.

I think anything that increases ID security is a good thing, so I support it. One of the best of the newer technologies is voice recognition. When I needed to call Schwab from Scotland and Fidelity from Germany, I got right through since they both use voice recognition now.

. When I needed to call Schwab from Scotland and Fidelity from Germany, I got right through since they both use voice recognition now.

What was different about Schwab's voice id system when using it from Scotland than using it from home?

Like much of what sprung up after 9/11, I think it is as much "security theater" as anything else.

Yeah, like "gun safety" laws and the new opioid drug laws, travel security laws makes it more burdensome for honest folks and hardly affects committed bad guys.

I like Kabuki theater as much as the next person. I just don't think it's particularly effective when it comes to protecting us but YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom