Is Real ID worth it?

kurtzoe

Confused about dryer sheets
Are their any benefits to this beyond not having to carry a passport for domestic travel? The effort on my part would be additional fees as well as an in person visit to DMV. Also, I have not yet looked into what paperwork I would need to gather. Should I bother or not? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Are their any benefits to this beyond not having to carry a passport for domestic travel? The effort on my part would be additional fees as well as an in person visit to DMV. Also, I have not yet looked into what paperwork I would need to gather. Should I bother or not? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

As of May 3, 2023, you will not be able to board a U.S. domestic flight or enter federal facilities without a compliant RealID. If I didn't already have one, I'd make the effort now.

It was a piece of cake to get here in Pennsylvania. I prefer not to carry my passport around when I fly, and I’m pretty sure the RealID will be required the next time you renew your license anyway. When I got mine, the fees were used to extend my existing license out another four years from the expiration date on the license I was replacing.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a number of different forms of REAL ID compliant documents in addition to the enhanced driver's licenses.

Here is a list of them:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

But as others have said, getting the new driver's license is generally very easy. When DW and I got ours recently (Kentucky was one of the last states to set up a system), we were in and out in less than half an hour, and ten minutes of that time was waiting to be called up.

Seemed like a no-brainer when I renewed my DL a year ago. We also have Global Entry. The GE card also serves as a second form of picture ID when needed. it has a nice official look to it

As of May 3, 2023, you will not be able to board a U.S. domestic flight or enter federal facilities without a compliant RealID. If I didn't already have one, I'd make the effort now.

From the government’s Real ID website: “A passport is an acceptable form of identification and may be used in lieu of a REAL ID Drivers License or ID to board domestic flights and visit federal facilities.”

The OP may choose to use their passport if they desire for domestic travel.

I chose to get my Pennsylvania Real ID drivers license.

I think Real ID expires in like 4 years and my DL does not expire until 65. No way am I going to the DMV every 4 years if I can prevent it.

I renewed my driver's license recently, and there was no Real ID fee, or any option to do otherwise. All renewals in FL since 2020 require the Real ID version. Easy peasy, no "worth it" decision. Just made my appointment, went to the DMV, and now I'm all set.

Passports are a world of hurt to replace. DL's far less pain. The odds of losing ID/Wallet on a trip are not zero. So if/when that happens to me, I'd rather it be my DL than my Passport.

Pro-tip: I keep an old copy of my license in an enclosed pocket of a jacket I wear when flying. If I ever lose my ID when traveling, at least I've got something to make it a bit easier to prove I'm me, even if it doesn't truly count.

ETA: Yes, you need some paperwork and ID - check your state DMV site. I think a passport counts, voter ID card, other stuff to prove address. I got a new copy of my SS card also as I couldn't find mine. It was a good exercise in itself to location and centralize various documents. I did all that about a month before my DL appointment.
My new one expires in 8 years, just like the prior period.

Last edited:
I think Real ID expires in like 4 years and my DL does not expire until 65. No way am I going to the DMV every 4 years if I can prevent it.

Interesting. When I got my Real ID (as part of the normal drivers license renewal process), my expiration time was set to almost 8 years (issued in 2018, does not expire until my birthday in 2026).

Also, there were no additional fees that I can recall. It was very quick to do at the DMV in our state.

Last edited:
I believe every state has its own rules for license expiration. When I upgraded mine last year I had to stay with its regular expiration date in 2023. But then I'll be able to renew it for eight years.

My Real ID drivers license fits in my wallet and is always on my person. My passport does not and is not. And it was easier and cheaper to get my drivers license than to get a passport. In the end, it doesn't really matter to me; I have both. I prefer to make my life easy, not difficult.

Yeah, me too. Just did the "real" when I renewed last time. Easy.

... Passports are a world of hurt to replace. DL's far less pain. The odds of losing ID/Wallet on a trip are not zero. So if/when that happens to me, I'd rather it be my DL than my Passport. ...
Agreed. I never carry my passport unless I am going international and when I'm carrying it, I'm really carrying it --- on my person. Never left in my lodging, even if there is a safe.

Pretty much driver license is Real ID in TX if you’ve renewed in the last 4-6 years.

I also have a passport card and a global entry card as Federal IDs if I didn’t have a read ID driver license and didn’t want to carry my passport.

I use my passport. I travel mostly international and it feels weird getting on a plane without it, even for domestic flights.

It also works everywhere and I don’t have to worry if my state ID is good enough.

For women if you have changed your name because of marriage you have to supply a marriage license for each marriage. Nevada won’t except divorce papers. My advice to young women is never change your name for any reason. It’s easier to use your passport than to do this.

It might be worth mentioning that there are a number of different forms of REAL ID compliant documents in addition to the enhanced driver's licenses.

Here is a list of them:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Thanks, I think this bears repeating. I already carry at least two, sometimes three of the other acceptable forms of ID (TWIC card, passport card and sometimes my Merchant Mariner credential.) Traveling, I generally have my full passport somewhere, too. Last I checked, it was still a hassle and more money to get the real ID in Maine.

I don’t think real ID is optional in CA, but getting it was easy.

For women if you have changed your name because of marriage you have to supply a marriage license for each marriage. Nevada won’t except divorce papers. My advice to young women is never change your name for any reason. It’s easier to use your passport than to do this.

I second this! Never ever change your last name.
What a pain it is. I have a long story on this. [emoji15]
I haven’t been married in almost 40 years. If I have to send for my marriage certificate I’m going to need to remember where I got married.
[mention]Teacher Terry [/mention] do you know if you still need the marriage certificate if you have divorce papers stating your original last name has been reinstated?
My information says I only need other documents if my last name is different than the one on my certificate of live birth.

Yes in Nevada I did. I had to pay for 3 marriage certificates. I have had more than one name with Nevada dmv. Of course I had all the divorce papers that no one wanted:)).

We just went with a standard license here in Washington state. The standard license was $54 for six years and could be renewed online. The Real ID was $78 and required a bunch of paperwork and a visit to the DOL. We rarely travel by plane (last time was 2016) and already have passports if needed, so the standard licenses work fine for us.

I changed mine to real ID when my license expired. Right in 2020, middle of covid, had to make appts online and they were very hard to come by. I had to travel to another city, got there and their electric had been cut off due to some construction work! They gave me an appt in two days to come back, I gathered all the documents but forgot a piece of mail with name and address:facepalm:
I was so flustered. The lady was really nice and suggested my car registration, so I ran and got it, got back in line, then went to show all the papers. Got another person, and she said "Oh, I don't bother with that, your expired license is good enough". :mad:Ohh, boy.

But, now I have it. Good for 8 years.

My understanding is that a passport is a RealID. I use my passport when traveling and intend to do so if I need to enter a Federal facility. I don't have any objection to the RealID, I just see no point in paying extra fees to renew my state ID early.

My Real ID drivers license fits in my wallet and is always on my person. My passport does not and is not. And it was easier and cheaper to get my drivers license than to get a passport. In the end, it doesn't really matter to me; I have both. I prefer to make my life easy, not difficult.
There is an alternative the passport card which does fit in a wallet, and is designed for travel over land borders in North America. You can actually get both of them at the same time for an increased fee. I have sued this some times at the bank to prove id and it does work.

There is an alternative the passport card which does fit in a wallet, and is designed for travel over land borders in North America. You can actually get both of them at the same time for an increased fee. I have used this some times at the bank to prove id and it does work.

Thanks for this! My DL expired early this year and I thought I had all the docs for RealID. Unfortunately, since my mailing address is a PO box (we've had mail theft issues around here for years), I didn't realize that the utility bill I brought had only the PO Box, not the service address. Rather than go home and find something else I got a regular DL.

I have to renew my passport after I get back from E. Europe next month. It was an emergency replacement issued when I lost the original in Malta in May and it expires in one year. I'll just get a passport card at the same time.

A newspaper columnist in NJ made the intelligent observation years ago that the MV Bureau had been turned into The Official Issuer of Government ID to Satisfy TSA Requirements. He told the story of someone named John Smith who had to jump through all kinds of hoops because, well, there are so many John Smiths and he had to prove he was THAT one. It's really unfortunate for people who just want permission to drive a car, especially in states where they issue RealID to everyone.

And I'm glad all over again that I kept my own name through two marriages!:D

Back
Top Bottom