It Is Nuts In Honolulu

I've been off Island for a couple of months now. Things were really heating up (tourist wise) about the time we left. No expert, even though I live there most of the year but here is my take:
Again, not a tourism expert - just a kama'aina, so YMMV.
The dawn patrol crowd at White Plains Beach reports that Waikiki is at least 90%, and that’s all from Mainland visitors. Wait until the international visitor crowds start returning…

The dawn patrol crowd at White Plains Beach reports that Waikiki is at least 90%, and that’s all from Mainland visitors. Wait until the international visitor crowds start returning…

I was a tourist staying in Waikiki during January of 1989. By 10AM, you couldn't lay a blanket on the beach without partially covering someone else. One day, we headed to the beach and it was virtually deserted. DW and I looked at each other and wondered if we'd missed the rapture! Turned out Emperor Hirohito had passed away and a huge segment of the tourists were Japanese and were in mourning.

The mix of international tourists has varied over the years. I'm sure exchange rates are a major factor. I recall when the Chinese tourist numbers began to rise dramatically. I really love to sit at the Ala Moana Mall food court and meet people from all over the world. When I mention that "I live here" I see a wistful look - tinged with a bit of envy, perhaps(?).

Quite looking forward to the return of all the tourists. We need the tourist dollars and we need to get small business going full bore. Not everyone shares my enthusiasm, but we (Hawaiians) all benefit to some extent when we have full hotels, restaurants, crowded beaches, etc. Fortunately, Kama'aina know where to go to get away from the crush. But, hey, I still love to play tourist occasionally and head to Waikiki. I guess it's an acquired taste, so YMMV.

Never a good idea to go during "summer vacation" time. Avoid the families, avoid the children, avoid the crowds.

Go when the kiddies are in school.

Never a good idea to go during "summer vacation" time. Avoid the families, avoid the children, avoid the crowds.

Go when the kiddies are in school.

Let's hope the kiddies ARE back in school this year. Can you imagine mom and dad bringing the kiddies to Waikiki and forcing them to Zoom their school from the hotel room? :facepalm: Due to the time zone, kids would be up at 3AM and then ready to hit Waikiki at 10AM. Bummer!

Everybody knows there is no snow in Hawaii!

Well, that’s if you don’t go to the mountain/volcano peaks.

Japanese schools have three semesters, separated by vacations. At most schools, summer vacation covers the 40-odd days from July 20 to August 31;

YMMV. You are literally fighting Japan break and US break.

I don't think the Japanese are traveling to Hawaii or anywhere right now?

i think its crazy everywhere, This is Manarola in Cinque Terra, we stayed a week in lower right house, right on cliff ;-))) It wasn't that crowded when we were the years ago....

Do you happen to have the name of the accommodation and any links for online booking?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Capture4.JPG
    Capture4.JPG