Italian electricity

We had two problems: hair dryer/curling iron and electric tooth brush. We decided to borrow the suitable ones from landlord/hotel. The toothbrush worked for 8 days on a charge. We travel light. BTW Malaysia has clunky too as a former commonwealth member.

You are talking charger and not toothbrush, right:)

Lived in Europe many years. Italy is part of the EU and most of it has moved over to the EU format; same plug as France, Germany, Spain etc etc. There may be a few outliers in the boonies but I doubt it.

We always stayed away from the 220 to 110v converters. Never had good luck with them.

Instead, most cell phone and hair dryers are dual voltage. (be sure to remember to switch! but cell phone chargers usually do it automatically).

Also, most hotels either have plug converters and/or hair dryers for you to use.

In days gone by, I used to carry 8 or 9 different plug adapters as well as an equal number of phone line adapters (during the dial-up days) for different countries. And a pair of alligator clips if things got difficult. Had them labeled with each country etc. Added a few pounds to my bag!

I also recall the day that a co-worker and I had to get online asap for an important email document...we actually rented a hotel room for the full price just to have a few minutes of phone time so that we could download the email...the good ol' days!

Last edited:
I cook with an electric stove/oven. One thing for sure, when I use Italian electricity my pizzas have a crisper crust, better roasted veggies, tastier sauce and zestier cheese.

To state the obvious, ensure you have adapters that the fit the number of prongs your devices have. Some of our devices (a laptop, travel power bar, etc) have the third grounding prong so we need an adapter that goes from 3 to 2 prongs.

If in a pinch, in Rome, we ran into a number of street vendors that sold adapters that we were able to haggle down to a couple of Euros.

Back
Top Bottom