Las Vegas: Where to stay, what to do, where to eat?

Vegas

Literally just got home this evening from Vegas....We went to The Lion King at Mandalay Bay it was incredible!!!....Stayed at The Venitian... don't know if I spelled it correctly.... Fabulous Place.... Expensive but incredible

What does it mean under my name.... "confused about dryer sheets" :confused:?
New on this board....don't know exactly what I'm doing.

From my experiences Las Vegas is better experienced by having an adventure. In other words, be random. I remember one time where we got the crazing for sushi and just got a cab and asked him about a good place. We got there and they were closing up, but the waitress told us about another place. Turned out to be delicious! Had an amazing time.

So Orchidflower, how was your trip to Las Vegas? Where did you end up staying and what fun things did you do? We are going next month for the first time and are interested in your experience, if you don't mind sharing.

My DH is not up to driving there, as originally planned, so we are planning on flying from Pitts PA to Las Vegas NV for a week and then flying from NV to San Diego CA to visit DD and her family. We are going to go DD's family to take granddaughter to Disneyland also. It is a pain, trying to figure out all of these one way plane tickets, car rental in NV, hotel reservations and transportation to and from home to airport or airport parking expenses. I am frugal, so trying to find the best deals.

Hmmm...I'm thinkin' Orchidflower ran off with a cabana boy...:angel:

Yep. Could be she took "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas" literally. :)
Mmm, hmm...could be.

I've been to Vegas many times and when I tell my friends what when on...they never believe me. ....so.....now I just juice the stories up or down. Depends on mah mood and how far I want their jaws to drop. :LOL:

Mmm, hmm...could be.
I've been to Vegas many times and when I tell my friends what when on...they never believe me. ....so.....now I just juice the stories up or down. Depends on mah mood and how far I want their jaws to drop. :LOL:
You're supposed to show them the tattoos... or the scars!

I just got back from Vegas. I had a very enjoyable time looking at real estate there. For somebody who spent my first 40 years in the land of over price real estate in LA and the SF Bay area, and the last 11 in nose bleed priced Hawaii it was a case of reverse sticker shock. Lots of nice fairly new units for ~$50/square foot, plus the shopping experience include a personal shopper/ chauffeur (AKA a realtor :) ).

I just got back from Vegas. I had a very enjoyable time looking at real estate there. For somebody who spent my first 40 years in the land of over price real estate in LA and the SF Bay area, and the last 11 in nose bleed priced Hawaii it was a case of reverse sticker shock. Lots of nice fairly new units for ~$50/square foot, plus the shopping experience include a personal shopper/ chauffeur (AKA a realtor :) ).
Oooooooo...are you gonna buy a house there? Sounds like the perfect place for an ER.org party. :greetings10:

Too late for Orchidflower, but I got an offer in the mail from Wynn Las Vegas for $419 for three nights in a "newly redecorated" room. The "invitation code" is RENEW15.

I don't get any kickbacks from this.

WynnLasVegas.com

We're going in October. Staying at the Venetian for the 2nd time. Can't wait to hit Tao beach - its topless (optional) so I'll have to tone up a bit. Great eating - I like Smith and Wollensky steakhouse. And the Hofbrauhaus for mass quantities of beer and crazy patrons.

Ronstar said:
- it's topless (optional) so I'll have to tone up a bit. /QUOTE]

How does that work (serious question)?

We're going in October. Staying at the Venetian for the 2nd time. Can't wait to hit Tao beach - its topless (optional) so I'll have to tone up a bit.
Ronstar said:
- it's topless (optional) so I'll have to tone up a bit.
How does that work (serious question)?
I don't think anybody cares what Ronstar is wearing (or not wearing) at Tao.

Some Vegas hotels actually impose a cover charge for the males (because we have to look at them going topless) and let the women in free (because we want to look at them going topless).

Spouse and I have stayed at European resorts, which are pretty much all topless. You start by wearing a typical bikini and then loosen the knot behind the neck at the top of the bikini bra, followed by the knot at the back at the bottom of the bra, and then tugging. Just kidding.

When spouse and I were staying at a Madeiras resort we watched one couple come out to the pool. He was dressed in a very German manner-- black three-piece suit, wingtips, hat, briefcase, even an umbrella. (Must've been for a business meeting but I have no idea why they were poolside.) She was wearing a dress and high heels. They sat down at a table under its umbrella. He removed his hat and started reading his newspaper.

She first kicked off her shoes and enjoyed the sun for a while. Next she hiked up the hemline of her dress a few inches. A few minutes later she pulled the neckline of her dress down off her shoulders about six inches down her arms. When I next glanced over (which I was doing fairly often by now, despite the fact that we were already surrounded by topless women) the dress had been dispensed with altogether and was hanging over the back of an adjacent chair. Her bra followed soon afterward.

During this nonchalant striptease the man paid her absolutely no attention. Must've been a fascinating newspaper.

A few minutes later he checked his watch, said something to her, and started putting away his newspaper. She put her clothes back on and they left...

Too late for Orchidflower, but I got an offer in the mail from Wynn Las Vegas for $419 for three nights in a "newly redecorated" room. The "invitation code" is RENEW15.

I don't get any kickbacks from this.

WynnLasVegas.com

I left that paper on the breakfast table, which means that it gets read as I'm eating breakfast.

Yesterday I noticed the following sentence at the bottom:

"Please also note that a daily resort fee, which entitles you to certain complimentary hotel amenities, will be added for each night."

How can anyone get away with this ********? Not only trying to hide this extra fee, but calling the amenities that you pay for "complimentary."

How can anyone get away with this ********? Not only trying to hide this extra fee, but calling the amenities that you pay for "complimentary."

The Harrah's properties Bally's, Caesar and many more don't charge a resort fee.

I was there a couple of weeks ago. I stayed at the Rodeway on Convention Center, a couple of blocks from the strip. It was $50 Sunday night and 31.50 Monday through Thursday. It was modest, but clean, with large rooms. Very modest free breakfast.

Coach

Thanks for the recommendation. We are going to be in Vegas for a couple of days and I booked this motel, since it is cheap ($34.99 for king bed) and clean. It is definitely our cheapest motel for this trip. Our most expensive room is at the Bryce Canyon Lodge and is $194.60 including tax, but can't get a room at Ruby's Inn for the date I wanted.

Also, wanted to thank Nvestysly and Nphx for the info and free tickets to The Auto Collections. DH is really into classic cars and we plan on going there.

I have also made notes on other ideas that people included. We are not gamblers and will probably only lose a few bucks seeing if we hit it big in Vegas. Most of the time will be spent doing sightseeing at the free events and hopefully a show, such as the Beatles Love one.

Dreamer said:
Beatles Love one.

You will enjoy that. I'm not a big cirque de soleil fan, but the wife and I really, really enjoyed that one.

I'm planning a trip to vegas with DW later this summer - just waiting to pull the trigger on my airline tickets.

hopefully a show, such as the Beatles Love one.

Two for $100 seats offer here for all the cirque shows this summer (legit - came in my newspaper travel supplement):

cirquedusoleil.com/summer

The same issue had a 2 for 1 Penn & Teller balcony offer at riolasvegas.com, code pmezz

Back
Top Bottom