Living abroad 3-6 months at a time?

All the American Health insurance stuff might be interesting to some but what does it really have to do with the OP question ? Shouldn't it be in its own thread ?

+ 1 dat.
We kept US coverage with a high ded. policy that costs us $300/mo for both of us with a major carrier. DW is from the insurance industry and is a little anal on insurance...

Many here have coverage from AXA or similar carriers that have reasonable rates /coverage. They are paying around $150 monthly.

All the American Health insurance stuff might be interesting to some but what does it really have to do with the OP question ? Shouldn't it be in its own thread ?
There was a special on expat health coverage in Canada and the insurance companies were denying coverage regularly. An example was:
Do you have a heart condition? and answered No
but the person was taking Lipitor to control cholesterol and that was deemed to be a fraudulent misrepresentation and voided the coverage. The claim was for $50k emergency surgery in Florida. It was not heart-related.

So on matters of insurance it is buyer beware.

Fine with me. Please feel free to start a new thread.

Fine with me. Please feel free to start a new thread.

That would assume I have some interest in it, which I don't. I did have some interest in hearing answers to the original question before the thread got hijacked.

We did Rue Cler for 2 nights, then (after my bucket list trip to Normandy) returned to Marais for a condo with another couple for a week. It was VRBO and worked fine: owned by a couple from Irleand and totally remodelled about 5 years ago.

Then we did VRBO again in Nice with the same couple after we separated to see different parts of France.
Funny but we always seem to end up in Rue Cler at some point on every visit. But also over in Le Marais near the Louvre on Rue de Rivoli.

Did VRBO work out smoothly for you? I'm a bit skeptical of getting my refunds back when contract via internet.

Here is a place I might try in June and then look to rent in Oct-Dec so spend Christmas in Paris and also visit the German Christmas markets.

I recently got back from a stay in an apt in Paris using VRBO. I was very hesitant to start with, had the same thoughts, ie. that I would get there and apt wouldn't exist, I would not get deposit back etc.

However, have to say it all went incredibly smooth. Stayed in a lovely but small apt in the 18th owned by an American and her French spouse. It was exactly as described. Paid the weekly rent via PayPal and credit card so we had a fall back if it all went wrong. Plus VRBO do offer insurance to take care of the same thing. I paid the deposit of 300 euros in cash on arrival and when we checked out they gave it back to us.

For me it was a positive experience. Going forward, any period longer than a week and I'll be looking for an apt rental rather than a hotel. We went to Paris in November and stayed at the Westin which is right in the hub of tourist central. That stay was definitely not as good as what it was staying in the 18th in an apt. Around Metro Abesses is a really happening area and one I would recommend.

BTW Zero the place you have linked looks really good for the price.

Apt. stay can be nice, especially in a more residential area (of course the flip side is that it's longer to get to the popular sites).

But the payment isn't as convenient. Often they want cash up front even to hold the reservation and 10 years ago, you had to wire them money.

AirBnB supposedly handles the payment for you but may take a bigger commission which adds up in the price. Haven't used it though, I've pretty much stuck with hotels in recent years.

Dangermouse, thanks for the reassurance about VRBO, I have rented online apts before but usually had some referral from a friend or coworker. VRBO has been around a while and so I suspect they police the ads fairly well. Glad you had a good experience in the 18th.

Yeah, that unit looks nice and seems to have good reviews and certainly in a good location. I may actually go fo just a week and then if I like it will try to get it for Oct, Nov and Dec and do Christmas in Paris this year.

With my VRBO reservation once I made my reservation we had to put 50% down. The balance was due 7 days beforehand. I think if anyone asked me to wire them the money they would be out of the running. On VRBO they clearly indicate those who will take credit card payments and if they don't I am not interested.

AirBnB is probably never going to get my business. There is something about their business I just do not like, maybe it is the negative stories I have read about some horror stays.

VRBO can give better value than a corporate apt type of website. We compared an apt on Parisstay with the apt we rented from VRBO. It was in the same street, but price came out about 25% higher with Parisstay. Once you read all the additional costs they pile on it makes sense to go direct to an owner though some of them seem to be delusional about what they can ask.

Zero, excellent to try the place for a week. That will allow you to work out whether it will work for you.

Danger, I think of AirBnB as more of a place to find hostels rather than an empty residence to stay in.
I've used it for a stay in Lima and was happy with using it. I think I'd look at VRBO as well, but for longer stays.
The AirBnB is I think better for short stays.

Our experience with VRBO in Paris and Nice was excellent. They accepted Visa so we were not concerned. The rental agent met us at the apartment to run through things and give us the keys. We were pleased that the Paris place was close to the Metro which we used extensively.

VRBO = Vacation Rentals by Owner. The site provides listings but doesn't get involved in the transaction I believe.

The places which use agencies obviously have to pay a commission but some of these property management firms deal with the housekeeping better than many individual owners.

VRBO is used by rental agents in Paris. The agent takes pains to ensure that we do not get to know the owner. I guess they want repeat business. And yes all the transactions are handled by the individuals placing the ads.

Back
Top Bottom