Immersive language schools abroad

I love studying foreign languages. I studied French in high school & university and did my junior year abroad there as well. I also studied some mandarin and taught English in Taiwan after college but never mastered mandarin. I speak rudimentary Spanish as well.

Two years ago I found a language school in Shanghai that put me with an online tutor twice a week, and this past July I went to meet her in China to practice. I spent a total of a month there on my own and with her touring around and putting my skills to the test. The school was a good deal—maybe $25/hr.

If you’re new to Italian I would recommend looking into some apps like Duolingo to get your feet wet. I don’t think apps are a good long term solution for real learning however. If you can find an online tutor or attend a college class that would be ideal. Once you’ve got a year or under your belt, then a local immersive would be a good choice IMO.

Have fun!

If you’re new to Italian I would recommend looking into some apps like Duolingo to get your feet wet. I don’t think apps are a good long term solution for real learning however. If you can find an online tutor or attend a college class that would be ideal. Once you’ve got a year or under your belt, then a local immersive would be a good choice IMO.

Have fun!

Thanks. I'm not completely new to Italian, I've taken three semesters at the community college, 10 years ago. And have an 887 day streak on Duolingo.

After reading some responses here I've added some Italian language tv shows (which I can't follow everything yet but I understand about half ). But I am too slow for true fluency. I'm retaking the 3rd semester, online through EdX.

I'm going to push myself to interact as much as possible when I'm in Florence visiting my son next month. I'm also going to interview the two possible schools I've identified to see what they think. They both offer specific programs to prep for the B1 citizenship language exam, timed so you can take the test a few days after the course. Game plan is to go for 2 months next fall (2024).

TIP on the TV shows: what I found very effective was to put the captions on in the foreign language. This will really help train your ear. I found it helped immensely with my Spanish spoken comprehension, as well as picking up common phrases and expressions and some slang.

Thanks Audrey

Thanks. I'm not completely new to Italian, I've taken three semesters at the community college, 10 years ago. And have an 887 day streak on Duolingo.

After reading some responses here I've added some Italian language tv shows (which I can't follow everything yet but I understand about half ). But I am too slow for true fluency. I'm retaking the 3rd semester, online through EdX.

I'm going to push myself to interact as much as possible when I'm in Florence visiting my son next month. I'm also going to interview the two possible schools I've identified to see what they think. They both offer specific programs to prep for the B1 citizenship language exam, timed so you can take the test a few days after the course. Game plan is to go for 2 months next fall (2024).

I have found that the best and really only way to gain fluency is through contextual engagement, so definitely try to plan for an immersive if you can. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom