London Hotel

treypar

Recycles dryer sheets
Anyone have a recommendation for a good moderately priced well located hotel in London.

Luna and Simone Hotel. Stayed here a few years ago. Near Victoria Station. Reasonable prices. Small rooms, but nice. Typical English breakfast.

Luna and Simone

That all depends on what you mean by moderately priced.

For me, it means anything less than US$200 a night. What did you have in mind?

braumeister
Moderately priced in US$200 range is fine in Central London near theaters and a tube stop. Any hotel suggestions would be appreciated.

I've stayed at The Euro - near Russel Square and enjoyed it. It's in an old town house facing Cartwright Gardens. Very modestly priced. Has everything from rooms with shared bathrooms to nice rooms, ensuite.

Euro Hotel

Location is great if you are coming in from Heathrow - since it's 2 blocks from the Russel Square tube station - which gives you a direct shot to Heathrow. It's also walkable to the circle line...

And very close to the British Museum!

I'm partial to Hampton Inns everywhere. The last couple of times I've been in London I've stayed at the Hampton near Waterloo (about a 5 minute walk from the station). Best breakfast buffet you're likely to find and a very nice place.

Another one I like on the south side of the Thames is the Mad Hatter, part of a Fuller's pub near Blackfriars bridge. Also a wonderful breakfast and a delightful pub downstairs.

North of the river, rodi's suggestion seems like a good one.

I've stayed at The Euro - near Russel Square and enjoyed it. It's in an old town house facing Cartwright Gardens. Very modestly priced. Has everything from rooms with shared bathrooms to nice rooms, ensuite.

Euro Hotel

Location is great if you are coming in from Heathrow - since it's 2 blocks from the Russel Square tube station - which gives you a direct shot to Heathrow. It's also walkable to the circle line...

And very close to the British Museum!

I've stayed thrice at the Harlingford, also overlooking Cartwright Gardens. It was adequate, but I haven't been there for some time.

There was an identical thread maybe 6 months ago with many responses - perhaps you can find it by doing a search.
I have been using (3 trips in a row) the Copthorne Tara next to Kensington Highstreet Station. Good, central location, clean, well-run, and runs in the 120-150 dollar range.
Before that, I liked the Melia Whitehouse next to Regent's Park/Portland Street station - nice place but price kept creeping up to past my pain threshold ($175)

Cavendish in London.....can't recall what it cost but a great hotel. Centrally located? You cant get better

$200 a night? Moderate Price? That's much more than I usually pay--anywhere.

I usually stay around Kensington/Bayswater area, and have been able to find more reasonably priced accommodations. I'd start at Booking.com for that area filtering the search for low to high prices. Then look for customer ratings that substantially higher than other properties in the price range you're looking to pay.

We've stayed here a few times:

https://www.parkplaza.com/london-hotel-gb-w1u-6lj/gbsherlo/

That's the Sherlock Holmes Hotel (Park Plaza Hotels). It is kind of quaint, not real fancy, but nice. We were there last 7 years ago. Just checked their web page...prices starting at $130 USD per night, although I recall it being a bit more expensive when we were last there (we've stayed there twice, and once by myself on a business trip).

Last edited:
Also depends on what you mean by good. :)
We just got back from a trip to London last fall and even with the weaker pound, London seemed somewhat pricey, especially accommodations.

While I won't recommend the place we recently stayed at since it had mice, a few years back we stayed at a nice family run placed called Cherry Court. It's relatively inexpensive but the rooms are pretty tiny though. It's also located by Victoria station which is a bit of a transportation hub with trains, metro, and buses. It's within walking distance to Buckingham Palace, and Big Ben, Westminster Abbey.

Just a side tip...
During previous trips, we've always taken the Tube to get around. This time we, with the help of data on our phones to enable Google Maps, we primarily used the bus system. The bus system is pretty extensive and was a lot more fun travelling above ground. Staying nearby Victoria station was convenient with all the bus route options to get us to and back from different sites.

St Ermins Hotel, Westminster area is v. nice and right around corner from Underground station. Stayed there late Oct.

We have always been successful in bidding for London hotels on Priceline.

We like Kensington. Tube straight from Heathrow or Easyjet bus to Gatwick. Have had Marriott Kensington and Marriott Maide Vale a few times.

You might try the Premier chain.

We have always been successful in bidding for London hotels on Priceline.

We like Kensington. Tube straight from Heathrow or Easyjet bus to Gatwick. Have had Marriott Kensington and Marriott Maide Vale a few times.

You might try the Premier chain.

I agree on the Marriott Kensington- it is very nice (don't know the Maide Vale one). I used to use it for business trips quite often. However, it always was a bit pricier than I would have liked for a personal vacation, so I never ended up there on my own ventures. Maybe there are sporadic deals, or certain ways to use their bonus program to make it more feasible for a lower budget?

Last time in London (couple of years ago) we stayed at the Marriott Regents Park. Quite a bit cheaper than some of the other Marriotts mentioned. It very close to the Swiss Cottage tube station (Jubilee Line). Nice large rooms. An older hotel but undergoing renovations when we were there.

Back
Top Bottom