Lucern to Bari, Italy

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

Been working our rather involved trip (reunion in Maine, friends in England, river cruise, and friends in Italy) - learning a lot about options analysis!

Two nights in Lucern included in the cruise, but our B&B can't accommodate us until the next day - and, can't get suitable flights to Bari on the next day.

So, alternative is to train - could spread it out over two days, but that is only one night somewhere in between which isn't enough time ... so, back to training in one day - about 12 hours with early departure out of Lucern which is easy since walking distance to train station.

NOW - since two countries involved, with lots of options for trains - how to do it?

Tried RailEurope - can't make reservations yet. Can use TrenItalia and make reservations now, but is slower, with more changes, or piece it together with CFF to Milano or Lugano, then change to Frecce for long piece ...

Piecing it together allows some control with layover?

Would love some recommendations!

I use trainline.com

It's a Virgin owned company that does a great job of allowing you to select your trains, times, destinations, class of travel, etc. Charges a small commission. Easy to get refunds or to change plans as well. They connect all of the trains that you will need, allow you to choose reserved seats, when available, and wrap it all up with one charge.

I use them for all of my train travel now. Even when I am in transit, I can go online and make changes, etc. Tickets are e-tix, so very easy. Also, if you have particular country travel cards (for discounted travel), as we do for Switzerland (half-price cards), you can put those in your profile and they will be used in calculating your total.

BTW, the frecciarossa traveling first class/executive is so worth it!

Edit: I just went on to trainline and found various options for taking the Frecciarossa from Milano to Bari with zero stops, between 7 and 9 hours total. Economy is around $90 USD one way, one person. I put in mid-July for travel date and found some seats still available, but these things can go fast.

Edit 2: Have you looked at EasyJet to fly from Basel? They fly to Bari from there. But it would be a train ride from Lucern. I didn't look at schedules but I know it's about a 2 hour flight. Usually around $50 to $85 or so, depending on date. IIRC, the flights may not be daily, so that could be a problem for you.

-BB

Last edited:
Hi Bryan,

I used trainline previously (when it was under another name), and it was great; however, their system shows only two possible departure times or that day - when there are about 12 - this usually means the providers are restricting the other times in some way?

Attached screensnap.

Attachments

• A19F2D4B-727A-4F32-A32F-E44111077386.png
    A19F2D4B-727A-4F32-A32F-E44111077386.png
    113.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I haven't ever come across that. For my response to you I just keyed in Milano to Bari. I saw lots of options for the date I used (July 11) as a sample.

It may have to do with your starting point as Lucern? It might close off some options that way. I don't know.

-BB

Bryan,

Just changed to mid July - trainline showed full schedule - so, related to 6 Oct being so far in future for some part?

So, how concerned should I be about 15-20 minute transfer times?

Last edited:
Yes, could be I guess. Did you look at EasyJet from the Basel area airport? It's another option; however I wouldn't be surprised if they don't run flights in the shoulder and winter seasons to Bari. The tourist demand would be nearly nil.

-BB

Yes - we can't get into the B&B our friends are at until 6 Oct - and, EasyJet flies on 5th and 7th - not 6th :). That would have been soooo easy!

You can book a train through SBB to Milano Centrale from Luzern which is about a 3 hour journey with a transfer at Lugano or Arth-Goldau. There are trains every hour.

At that point you can head to Milano MXP airport and take a direct flight to Bari on Ryanair or EasyJet (about 1.5 hours).

If you want to continue by train, you can book through Trenitalia from Milano Centrale to Bari (another 7.5 hours).

You can book a train through SBB to Milano Centrale from Luzern which is about a 3 hour journey with a transfer at Lugano or Arth-Goldau. There are trains every hour.

At that point you can head to Milano MXP airport and take a direct flight to Bari on Ryanair or EasyJet (about 1.5 hours).

If you want to continue by train, you can book through Trenitalia from Milano Centrale to Bari (another 7.5 hours).

Good point! There does appear to be an MXP-Bari flight on 6-October, on EasyJet.

-BB

Good point! There does appear to be an MXP-Bari flight on 6-October, on EasyJet.

-BB

The train system in Switzerland is pretty easy to use. Luzern is a good hub for all public transportation. Swiss Travel passes are the way to go if you plan to use the trains, boats, cable cars, and funicular rails.

As others have said.....our choice would always be Luzern to Milan by train. Fabulous rail trip.

Then air to Bari. So much choice from Milan in terms or carrier and air fares. We find the skyskanner gives the most comprehensive results for European regional carriers.

Spend a day in Milan.....or arrive at Milan Centrale and then take the local train direct to the airport.

Last edited:
I would stop in Como (one of the stops before Milano Centrale), stay overnight, and visit all the nice villages (Menaggio, Bellagio, Varrena) on the shores of the lake. Eat some great food. You can take the train from Como to MXP and then fly to Bari. You only live once!

Getting to Bari

We fly into Rome and take the train to Bari. (4+hours) We like train travel.

I would stop in Como (one of the stops before Milano Centrale), stay overnight, and visit all the nice villages (Menaggio, Bellagio, Varrena) on the shores of the lake. Eat some great food. You can take the train from Como to MXP and then fly to Bari. You only live once!

+1

Highly recommended. As is the train trip from Luzern.

Will go back sometime soon and see Como area - when we can stay awhile.

I considered the train to Milano then fly to Bari, but figured the time eaten up by needing to be at airport an hour plus ahead of flight, and time to get to the airport could be spent sightseeing via train ... and, I am beginning to hate airports! OTOH, I will reconsider this option as it is a potential - however, only times departing are 0705 (can't get there by then) or 7:40 pm putting us into Bari later than we wanted.

+1 on trains. I find them to be relaxing and the time goes by quick, much better than flying or driving.

I try to splurge for better seats on the train when it makes sense.

We have found from 12 plus years of very frequent international travel that flexibility is required. If Milan does not work for you then try air from Bologna. Get out a rail map of Italy, then look at various regional airports for direct airline connections combined with rail scheds from luzern. It just takes a little work.

Our experience is that some booking sites are better than others for regional air. We usually include skyscanner in our shopping routine.

You will seldom find a schedule, airline, ferry, whatever, that is perfect for you. Sometimes you simply have to adjust the schedule that you have in mind to what is actually possible. Travel is sometimes about trade offs.

And then....be prepared for changes, delays, and cancellations by carriers, etc. It happens. For important connections we typically have a plan B in mind. It is one of the reasons that we both travel with carry on only.

We have enjoyed some memorable experiences caused by an abrupt change of plan brought about by a carrier. The best way to enjoy your trip, IMHO, is to be flexible and to take things in your stride/go with the flo.

Last edited:
We fly into Rome and take the train to Bari. (4+hours) We like train travel.

kcowan,

We are planning on training from Monopoli/Bari to Rome on our departure leg from Monopoli. Did you do this when returning? Any tips?

I wrote "Monopoli/Bari" because we will be in Monopoli at the time we head to Rome - so could depart from there (can walk to Monopoli train station and catch train connecting through Bari - around 6 am) - or, get friends to drive us to Bari.

So, would be short local train Monopoli-Bari, then Frecce to Roma Termini, then Leonard to FCO - we're staying overnight at airport hotel.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

This year (April - June) I bought a Swiss Travel Pass Flex First Class good for 15 days over a period of 30 days. It rains a lot in Switzerland so your plans have to be flexible. It cost me 707 CHF or about $770 USD. It works out to about $51.33 per day for first class train and boat rides, some funicular trains and cable cars are include, other cable cars and funiculars are 50% off. It also includes admission to many castles and museums. Busses are also included. The second class fare version works out to about $32 per day with a 15 day pass but when traveling second class on trains in Switzerland you may find yourself without a seat. These passes are one of the few bargains you are going to find in Switzerland. If you want the Trevor Noah/Roger Federer experience, get a first class ticket. When you look for tickets on SBB, compare the cost of point to point tickets with a day pass. You may be better off with a day pass as they include boats and busses and a completely open schedule. The trains are good for getting from point A to point B but I would rather be outside than sitting in a train for hours.

kcowan,

We are planning on training from Monopoli/Bari to Rome on our departure leg from Monopoli. Did you do this when returning? Any tips?

I wrote "Monopoli/Bari" because we will be in Monopoli at the time we head to Rome - so could depart from there (can walk to Monopoli train station and catch train connecting through Bari - around 6 am) - or, get friends to drive us to Bari.

So, would be short local train Monopoli-Bari, then Frecce to Roma Termini, then Leonard to FCO - we're staying overnight at airport hotel.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
We are going to stay in Bari and do day trips. Then train back to Rome and connecting to fly to Sardinia. Then fly back to Sorrento and spend a few days on Amalfi, likely staying in Positino, our favorite.

Hi All,

Back from the trip - quick summary.

Delta to Boston and then Navy reunion in Brunswick, ME - Delta did OK.

Norse Atlantic from Boston to Gatwick - Norse Atlantic was a GREAT alternative to the other airlines - picked them cause needed to go to Gatwick and not many airlines did. Two of us upgraded (seats 4A and 4B in 2+4+2 configuration 787) for total of $700.

Five nights with friends in Crowbridge area of England - fabulous area and had just gobs of fun.

EasyJet from Gatwick to Amsterdam - would go British Airways next time as it could not possibly be any worse.

Few days in Amsterdam - not our first time. Hilton Doubletree Hotel grossly overpriced, and price reflects time of year (half of what we paid now) related to river cruise frequency.

Avalon river cruise to Basl/Luzern was quite nice - our first river cruise. Met folks we liked immediately and hung with them - nice social group. Very comfortable, but small rooms - they all are. Great food, afternoon happy hour built into pricing. Bar open other times but pay as you go and it was very reasonable. Tours and outings fun and well managed. Would do it again.

Luzern was nice, Hotel Astoria, provided by Avalon nice but clearly set up as a quick in and out location supported by the cruise business. Couple of days there - good food and drink, boat tour on the lake, nice people, but clearly a tourist center.

6 am walked the whole 5 minutes from hotel to the train station, grabbed an early morning pastry from the main platform shop (large, lower level grocery store not yet open). Changed in Lugano change with 20 minutes to spare, and Milano with 30 minutes to spare - even had time to visit the TrenItalia lounge as we had upgraded to Executive Class.

Executive class on FrecciaRosa was a expensive hoot ... eight seats (a small meeting room with room for six) and a full time assigned steward in the entire coach. Two page food menu, 10+ wines and bubbly, hard liquor - whatever you wanted! Huge seats - spouse and I had opposing seats and with legs up there was still about three feet between our feet! This FrecciaRosa was about 15 minutes late arriving Bari Centrale, so it didn't qualify for the 25% refund for being late. The SBB trains from Luzern and Lugano were precisely on time.
The views of the millions of acres of grape vines, the coastal towns along the Adriatic were stupendous!

Total time a bit less than 12 hours - we made it to our trulli agriturismo B&B by about 8:30 pm and joined out friends for a few glasses of wine with the owners. Several days at this location, with day touring by car, light local breakfast delivered outside room in one of the several covered rock topped areas - FABULOUS local produce - especially the figs!!

Relocate to Monopoli (on the Adriatic). Exploring town, great food, nice people, day tours by cars, beachside restaurants and bars.

Another early morning departure - walked to Monopoli train station )10 minutes), 30 minutes to Bari Centrale, change with time for pastry and cappuccino, then Frecciargento first class (very nice with opposing seats and table) to Roma Termini. Grabbed the Leonardo Express to the airport.

Now, here is an interesting scenario - we wanted to have a down night prior to 11 hour flight to Atlanta the next morning, and, in the past we stayed at the onsite Hilton which was only so-so. This time we decided to stay at the Air Rooms Rome Airport by HelloSky - this was not a good idea. Not a terrible place ... reminded me more a visiting barracks on a military base. There was a very limited food capability, so we walked into the airport and had dinner at a buffet like place which was sufficient. This location was extraordinary for departing - it was literally a three minute walk from the room to the Delta check in counter - three minutes dragging bags. However, I would go back to the Hilton next time which requires on the order of 10 minutes to the counter.

OK, but long Delta flight back on A330. The video entertainment was helpful in passing the time.

Good trip!

We stayed in Kastanienbaum the first time. Took the ferry into Luzern often and then the train to Zurich for day trips.

We really enjoyed Kastanienbaum. Our hotel was right on the lake and there was a ferry stop at the bottom of the property.

It was magical for us. We were very young had only been married for a few years. I bought my spouse a gold bracelet at Bucherers as a late wedding gift. The salesperson sat us down at a desk and brought out many offering for her to consider. Very different that what we experience in NA. I believe that it was the start of the 'travel bug' for us.

It seemed to cost a bomb at the time but looking back it was not. She bought me a Certina watch in Zurich. Never had it off my wrist for 40 plus years.

Last edited:
Interesting, Brett!

On a quick lake tour, our boat stopped at a hotel ... they didn't say what it was ... figure about 20 minutes back to the main boat departure area in Luzern.

Same place, maybe?

It could well be.

Even stranger...a number of years ago I was reading a book about the British and OSS espionage work during the war against Germany.

In the book they had a photo of the hotel that they used as a base. It was outside Luzurn in Kastanienbaum.

I showed that picture to my spouse. The first thing she said was isn't that the big hotel we stayed at in Kastanienbaum. I was not sure but she certainly seemed convinced.

It was 15 or 20 minute ride from the dock in Luzern. We used to sit on terrace overlooking the lake, drink Eichob (?) beer and watch the ferries go by and the world go by. I was not even aware the hotel was still open or indeed still standing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom