Viking cruise Scandinavia plus Algarve!

stephenson

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hi All,

Next trip planning - and I'm a bit late in getting rolling on the details!

We’re on a Viking cruise from Bergen to Stockholm - 3-17 May, but wanted to meet up with some friends in the Algarve (Portugal) prior to the cruise, so, maybe 23 April to 2/3 May. Now looking for routing, airline options, how to get from Lisbon airport to Algarve, etc.

Straightforward from Florida to Lisbon, and the return from Stockholm to Florida, but the leg from Lisbon to Bergen has less options. It looks like SAS and TAP have flights from Lisbon to Bergen, but surprisingly I found nothing from EasyJet. Did I miss something?

Another thought I had was to stay a couple of nights in Copenhagen since it is the layover for a couple of hours on the TAP flights - is this worthwhile?

Re the transport from Lisbon airport to the Algarve area (Faro) - can rent a car (2.5 hrs), but looks like could be possible via bus or train (4 hrs) ... recommendations?

Appreciate your thoughts!

My wife and I did that cruise in the spring of 2023, though in the reverse order. Feel free to message me privately if you'd like to talk about it.

We have been to Portugal a number of times. Last spring went for a month, starting in Madeira. First time we have not rented a car. Did it mostly by rail. We are in our late 60's/early 70/

Getting to Algarve from LIS by train is a snap. Much better, IMHO, than driving. The big BUT is luggage. We only travel with carry on. Not certain how much you will have.

You need to take the subway from LIS to Oriente Station. There is a bus terminal here as well. All of a five or ten minute trip. There might be a bus, do not know. Or a cab.

From Oriente Station you will get trains to the Algarve. Depending where you are going in the Algarve (we were going to Lagos), you may have to change trains at Tunes. No big deal. Get off the train. Wait for another to come along. Same platform. Overall a 2-3 hour trip.

If you are over 65 you get a 50 percent discount on Portugal rail. You need to sign up for it CP.pt. Tickets are a snap to buy on line. After Lagos we went to several other Algarve locations on our way to Tavira. Train and bus was so good that we decided not to rent a car.

Our plan was to rent a car in the Algarve, as we had done on previous trips. In the end we did not bother.

We tend to like Skyscanner or google for regional flight lookups in Europe.

Copenhagen...we have not been there for years but if we had a chance to spend a few days in Copenhagen en route to somewhere else we definitely would! Why not?

You might want to look at this...then input your own destination:

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lisboa-Airport-LIS/Lagos-Faro-Portugal

Last edited:
Thanks to you both!

I'll pm you, Lewis Clark - thanks!

Brett - we used FlixBus a couple of years ago for ride from Nazaré to Oriente - worked great - very easy. Oriente way busy, but no problem from there into downtown Lisbon. Just did a quick check on cp.pt and looks like over 65 fares are 50% off, but I cannot see how one buys in advance, so perhaps this is only at the station?

Quick edit - I just noticed that there is a pretty favorable connection on a couple of airlines - directly into the Faro airport ... anyone been there? It's about 20 minute ride to our B&B from the airport - and, on UA it's only two legs - from our place to DFW, DFW to FRA and FRA to FAO (Faro).

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend Faro. This is the airport that we sometimes use to fly back to Canada. The airport is good.

It is a direct flight back to Canada for us, and more often than not considerably less expensive that going back through LIS. Last spring our flight home from Faro was 6 hours late. I put in a claim as per EU rules. We each got a cheque for 600 euro because of that delay!

We bought tickets on line. Not once did we buy tickets at the station. Same website. Keep looking!

There is another benefit to Faro. We have found it much easier to land and get through security at Faro. LIS can be an incredible hassle depending of what time of day one arrives...at least in our experience. There is good train service to and from Faro. Train station is right in town.

Last edited:
DW and I preferred Tavira over Faro. Much more quaint, in our opinion. Nice villages to both the east and west, accessible by train or taxi.

How about KLM through Amsterdam?

DW and I preferred Tavira over Faro. Much more quaint, in our opinion. Nice villages to both the east and west, accessible by train or taxi.

As did we. Our main stops last time were Lagos and and Tavira. We find many of the other too touristy, filled with Brit bars advertising football. Same with many places in southern Spain.

How about KLM through Amsterdam?

Given a reasonable choice we will always select an EU carrier when flying from NA to Europe.

Why? EU carriers have strict rules regarding compensation for delays. These rules apply to EU carriers flying into Europe from NA.

The compensation for the EU 261 rules is significant. It serves to encourage those airlines to run a tight ship and not place their own self interest ahead of passenger commitments.

And...compensation claims are paid promptly.

We found uber in Portugal to be very affordable & convenient especially when you're dragging baggage along. (We were there in 2022)

Hi All - sorry about delay getting back.

So, looking at flights - we can likely connect and get to LHR on an A-380 out of DFW to LHR, but with only a 1+15 layover in LHR ... the AA site (BA flight) is offering this, but is this enough to transfer to another BA flight to get to FAO?

Haven't flown on an A-380, yet ... LHR is not a bad place to be rebooked, but ...

Thoughts?

I would check on two things...assuming you are being ticketed on one ticket to your destination, not two,

First, do you have to change terminals in LHR? This can be a challenge. Especially if there happens to be a security alert.

Second, check the BA flight schedules to see if there are more flights later in the day from LHR to your destination. In the event that your inbound flight is delayed it is very likely that you would be scheduled on a later flight...if there is one.

This is our practice when we have a connection on a thru ticket and have booked a consolidator fare ticket.

You might also want to price that same ticket/flights on the BA site if you have not already done so. From time to time there are differences. One difference might be that BA honors the EU 261 rules for flight delays. My understanding is that these rules will apply as long as you are ticketed by BA-regardless of whether it is a code share. Excellent consumer protection and compensation vs. our substandard NA rules.

Last edited:
Hi Brett,

Should have mentioned - the only flight from LHR to FAO is the 1155 (we arrive LHR at 1040) ... two others from LGW, but not enough time to get there.

I can't tell re which terminal in from DFW and then out to FAO.

Hi Brett,

Should have mentioned - the only flight from LHR to FAO is the 1155 (we arrive LHR at 1040) ... two others from LGW, but not enough time to get there.

I can't tell re which terminal in from DFW and then out to FAO.

Appears to me that AA flights into 5 and BA Europe will fly from 5. Have not been in 5...we tend to avoid LHR in favor of LGW depending on the terminal change at LHR

It would appear that your connections is 'legal'.

Best to check directly with the airline.

https://simpleflying.com/american-airlines-ups-heathrow-terminal-5-flights-summer-2022/

Last edited:
OK - so, made some progress this morning - or, if not progress, at least made some reservations.

After spending a couple of weeks reviewing options at the individual airlines, and at Chase travel (have some points), we had become timeline and layover computers :)

We considered and then decided to drive to Dallas - spend a few days with our kids - and, refocus on flight into and out of DFW. Rechecked all the options over and over. None worked like we wanted - longer, but not too long layover for connections, and reasonable total time vs cost.

This morning, for the first time, one of the flight sequences not showing previously on the Chase site, popped up.

DFW-LHR-FAO (777 with 3+55 layover in LHR) ... works!
ARN-LHR-DFW (380 with 3+00 layover in LHR) ... works!

So, we pulled the trigger on the Chase site - stupid number of points, but I guess that's why we have used the Chase card - use 'em or lose 'em?

Getting from FAO to Bergen is tougher - some options pretty awful, but doable. Still looks like EJ into LGW connecting to Norwegian Air to Bergen is about the best route vs money.

Have a few reservations in Bergen for the two nights prior to boarding the ship - all walkable and pleasant enough. Then, after disembarking in Stockholm will sightsee a bit there and then end up at one of the Stockholm airport hotels so can walk down straight into the airport.

Has anyone used a private tour service in Stockholm? Was thinking maybe hire tour/driver to pick us up at the boat and then tour us around all day - dropping us at the airport hotel late afternoon.

Last edited:
IMHO, those layovers in LHR are much safer in terms of making the connection should there be any incoming flight delays.

Been considering other touring to do in route from Faro to Bergen ... we haven't made flight resv yet, and could leave Faro a day or two early (currently planning 1 May FAO-BGO), to perhaps take the scenic train from Oslo (I had posted Stockholm earlier) to Bergen?

This would add a night in Oslo (we see it later on the cruise) - but, we could take the train!

Anyone done this?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom