Luggage Life Expectancy

My late DF gave us a large TravelPro wheeled bag more than 20 years ago. It got a lot of use for several years and less more recently, but on its last trip a few months ago, the wheels gave out. I was able to order replacement (new version) wheels for less than $20 and installed them in a few minutes. As far as I'm concerned it's a new suitcase. So when the wheels on my smaller generic suitcase kicked the bucket on its last trip, I ordered a TravelPro from eBags at about the same price as a Kirkland bag from Costco, figuring at least they have replacement parts.

The wheels are definitely the primary weak link.

And swivel/castoring wheels are almost weaker than those that are fixed in one orientation. I won't buy a bag with the castoring wheels again. Not only are they weaker, but pushing a bag along upright seems to be a lot more trouble than just pulling it by the handle on the (usually bigger) fixed wheels.

I’m travelling now. Using a 2005 vintage hard shell Samsonite on wheels. It has carried heavy loads and has been to at least 20 countries. It’s looking a little beat up, but it keeps my stuff secure and dry. I use it for all major international travel. No plans to replace it at this time.

And now, the end is near....

Well, the cracks are now becoming craters, one of the locks isn’t functioning properly, and hard to replace bits are falling off. Wheels are working fine but damage is rapidly accumulating. I’m now concerned that this beauty will no longer keep my stuff secure and dry. It might be time to put this out to pasture. After 13 years of frequent use it has earned its keep.

Any suggestions for a hard shell replacement with wheels?

Personally, I find I need wheels on my luggage - modern airports are huge - and I like to travel light, with the largest bag that will fit in the overhead compartment plus a normal carry-on backpack that can fit over the handle. (lots of airlines are charging for checked bags) I can last comfortably three weeks with this setup.

I like the durable soft sided bags that can expand with a second side zipper for situations where I need a little extra room for gifts. I always had good luck with Swissgear, but weirdly my most resilient luggage has been an off-branded Nautica bag I got at Marshall's for $50. It's still going strong after dozens of trips.

I don't like hard sided carry-on bags as much, because they get dented up and aren't as flexible for fitting into small spaces. They are great tho for larger pieces that will only be checked. I have one for longer trips/cruises. They are much safer than fabric checked bags since they can't be ripped or slashed by a razor in baggage handling - something that's happened a couple of times to me with bigger bags on international trips.

I usually look for a few key features. I like the wheels to be exposed as little as possible and of very good quality since they get the most abuse. I also like the entire extending handle mechanism to be internal and protected from impact. Things that stick out tend to break off. That's why I prefer the flat fabric side and top lifting handles that are flexible and don't stick out. I also like the luggage to have a reinforced panel on the back - like a skid pad - to protect against abrasion when the bag goes up a curb. And the zippers should be lock-able, high-quality, heavy-duty zippers with durable crush-proof pull-tabs that can easily be replaced with something else if they break (they will). Any extraneous decorations will get destroyed, and esthetic nuances that look good in-store will be quickly overlooked.

I figure the average bag lasted me about 2-3 years, some much shorter and some much longer. Certain destinations are much harder on luggage than others.

Personally, I find I need wheels on my luggage - modern airports are huge - and I like to travel light, with the largest bag that will fit in the overhead compartment plus a normal carry-on backpack that can fit over the handle. (lots of airlines are charging for checked bags) I can last comfortably three weeks with this setup.

I like the durable soft sided bags that can expand with a second side zipper for situations where I need a little extra room for gifts. I always had good luck with Swissgear, but weirdly my most resilient luggage has been an off-branded Nautica bag I got at Marshall's for $50. It's still going strong after dozens of trips.

I don't like hard sided carry-on bags as much, because they get dented up and aren't as flexible for fitting into small spaces. They are great tho for larger pieces that will only be checked. I have one for longer trips/cruises. They are much safer than fabric checked bags since they can't be ripped or slashed by a razor in baggage handling - something that's happened a couple of times to me with bigger bags on international trips.

I usually look for a few key features. I like the wheels to be exposed as little as possible and of very good quality since they get the most abuse. I also like the entire extending handle mechanism to be internal and protected from impact. Things that stick out tend to break off. That's why I prefer the flat fabric side and top lifting handles that are flexible and don't stick out. I also like the luggage to have a reinforced panel on the back - like a skid pad - to protect against abrasion when the bag goes up a curb. And the zippers should be lock-able, high-quality, heavy-duty zippers with durable crush-proof pull-tabs that can easily be replaced with something else if they break (they will). Any extraneous decorations will get destroyed, and esthetic nuances that look good in-store will be quickly overlooked.

I figure the average bag lasted me about 2-3 years, some much shorter and some much longer. Certain destinations are much harder on luggage than others.

I agree with the bolded statements. For check-in luggage, hard shell is more robust and gives better protection to the contents, even if it is a little heavier. My 13 year old Samsonite spinner has very well protected wheels, which is why they have held up well. It also features internal dividers on both sides and a fully retractable handle.

Looking online, it seems that I will have to spend a lot to find a suitcase with those features. Maybe I will try to repair my own suitcase with Sugru before giving up on it! :LOL:

https://sugru.com

Our checked luggage has usually gotten pretty beat up after a few years of use. After an extended European vacation where we only used carry-on bags, we don't check luggage anymore. We've learned how to pack light and frankly don't want the hassle of checking luggage.

That said however we have about 5 to 10 years on our current set of carry-on luggage. Both bags have held up pretty well but both bags are starting to show their age. I think their wear has been caused by too many gate checks...

Our checked luggage has usually gotten pretty beat up after a few years of use. After an extended European vacation where we only used carry-on bags, we don't check luggage anymore. We've learned how to pack light and frankly don't want the hassle of checking luggage.

That said however we have about 5 to 10 years on our current set of carry-on luggage. Both bags have held up pretty well but both bags are starting to show their age. I think their wear has been caused by too many gate checks...

How do you do this ?

After I throw 5 pairs of undies, and 5 pairs of socks, jeans some shirts, etc. my pile seems big.
What do you do about laundry ?

I noticed the same thing...our suitcases bit the dust in a matter of 2 years. Instead of suitcases though, maybe try adventure style "luggage"' such as a Patagonia Black Hole (our choice) or the North Face Base Camp?

Patagonia comes with a lifetime warranty, whatever that means, and packs up nice and small when not in use. We prefer to drive so use the non-rolling ones, but their rolling duffles look very nice. Patagonia Black Hole® Wheeled Duffel Bag 120L

I think the North face is stiffer, thicker material and many places prefer it. But the Pantagonia's lighter weight, yet still strong as an ox, material so far has worked out well for us (evne on top of the car!).

Thank you for the recommendation for North Face and Patagonia. I had indicated my preference for a hard sided suitcase, which these companies do not make.

Thank you for the recommendation for North Face and Patagonia. I had indicated my preference for a hard sided suitcase, which these companies do not make.

Whoops, sorry about that. Late here, I missed the requirement. :facepalm:

I used to have hard sided Samsonite luggage 35 years ago. No longer as it doesn't do as well in overhead compartments as soft sided.

We switched to ultralight TravelPro swivel wheel luggage in 21 inch size, and we could travel indefinately with it. The lightest bags can be felt in a long trip. We do use Rick Steves' Packing List with minor changes.

My trick to carrying less is to get jeans and khaki pants heavily starched and they look good after many day's use. I change shirts daily and get two rotations out before washing.

Had a Tumi and it didn't hold up well. Wheels and a handle that kept falling off.

I sent it in for repair and they said it needed a new frame so paid a couple of hundred for that.

Stopped repairing it.

Currently use a cheap 25 or 27 inch case which is light. Definitely doesn't have a reinforced frame. But it's held up for a couple of years and it was less than 1/5 the price of the Tumi.

When it breaks I'll get another one. Tumi seemed to show wear after just a couple of trips, the way the luggage handlers abuse luggage.

I have a nice set of soft sided luggage made with heavy duty nylon fabric. It serves me well. On my last flight the large bag came off the luggage carousel came back ripped up. Fortunately it was the large closure zipper that had been torn from the bag at the seam. How they did that without destroying the bag I can't figure out.

Took it to a shoe repair that was able to stitch it up and reinforce it for $15. Now it is servicable and you can't tell it has been damaged. Thumbs up for soft sided luggage.

Well a three week 9 Country tour last summer taught me the difference btw good and bad luggage. I had a soft sided caster suitcase. BIL had hard sided caster suitcases. Mine was new. By the end my handle was broke and I was dragging my bag due to three of four wheels were jammed and locked. His did just fine and about 20lbs heavier, his DW just can’t pack light. It even took a hit when the doors of a train closed on it. When we got home I threw ours in the trash and we bought four Delsey hard cases like my BIL.

DW returned from a trip last month and she noticed her bag was wet on top. We stopped at a grocery store on the way home and we’re almost knocked over by the smell of wine in the back. Turned out someone had packed a bag of red wine in their luggage and it leaked over several bags. We took it back to the airport and found out we were the third customer back. The airline replaced our suitcase with a new one, abet cheaper one, but I figure it would last as long as the ruined would’ve.

Bought a brand new Samsonite suitcase a couple years ago for a cruise.

After the first flight on the trip, the baggage handlers must have made my luggage age about 25% of it's life as, there were scuffs and scrapes. At least nothing broken like the coaster wheels or handle. I can tell the bag to tossed around.

How do you do this ?

After I throw 5 pairs of undies, and 5 pairs of socks, jeans some shirts, etc. my pile seems big.
What do you do about laundry ?

Watch some of Rick Steve’s packing videos on YouTube. Basically you take synthetic wicking materials and wash them out in the hotel sinks along the way. Hang them in the bathroom to dry overnight and they are good to go the next day.

Rick says whether he is traveling for 5 days or 5 weeks he packs the exact same amount of clothes. It’s a great way to travel.

Ex Officio underwear will dry overnight after hand washing.

I have a carry on that’s over 20 years old, it’s been on a ton of trips, domestic and abroad and still looks new except for the oddly shaped cell phone pocket made for 1997 era phones

Back
Top Bottom