Disappointed in Luggage Wheels

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I bought a Samsonite Hard Case suitcase several years back. A Samsonite S'Cure Hardside Luggage with Spinner Wheels, 28 inch, to be exact. One with 4 wheels that when new rolled around as smooth as butter. But now thing this is a drag (both figuratively and literally). I prefer a good hard case suitcase to protect from things knocking around and from theives.

I'm disappointed as I only used it about 5 times. Upon reading more, I guess bad wheel function is a common thing with this suitcase. A shame since everything else, I really like the suitcase. Looking even further, seems to find replacement wheels sounds easy but isn't so. You'd think suite case wheel replacement should be a common thing (like a toilet tank flapper) but I guess that would be too simple :facepalm:.

I'm going out of town and loading up the suitcase only to have to drag it around. Deciding to go old school and use an old soft case suitcase instead. I'm driving so the luggage won't get physically tossed about by baggage handlers.

I've always gone with soft-sided bags, and only ever with 2x roller-blade wheels. The hard cases and spinner wheels always seem to be more liable to damage ... or at least, when they do get damaged, it's more catastrophic.

Ex: hard case gets cracked/dented, and it's permanently scarred or irreparably compromised (soft bags either resist rip/crush damage, or can be sewn up if they do tear). Likewise, spinner wheels are alot easier to get ripped off or damaged by rough handling than a roller wheel that's sunk into the suitcase.

My pet peeve issue with luggage is always the handles -- they never seem to last more than a few years (though in fairness, I travel easily 5+ times a year). Either the release button fails (won't release to extend/collapse), a rod falls out, or the rods get bent by getting thrown around (this one is definitely a factor of using soft luggage though).

A number of years ago I took a leather briefcase that needed a repair into a luggage repair shop that had been recommended to me.

The place was full of luggage in for repairs and ready for pickup. The shop did repair work for several airlines...it was close to the airport.

Later, when I picked up the repaired item I spent some time speaking to the owner. We were in the process of shopping for new luggage. Three things stick with me

-first he said the major brands have several levels of product. The product that you see in the outlet store or at 60 percent off in the dept. store may not, and probably is not, the same as the unit in a good luggage store that carries the same brand name and looks the same. Product is made specifically made for the type of retail store. There can be exceptions in the outlet store for discontinued product.

-second, he told me that the majority of repairs are wheels and zippers. Apparently 4 wheel bags are his biggest repair segment. The wheels snap off in baggage handling. Zippers...cheap zippers that split open. He highly recommended two good quality inline wheels. Ones that could be easily removed and replaced. Like roller blade wheels.

-third was handles and weight. He said he saw lots of very poor handles. Brand did not indicate quality. We were looking for lightweight carry on. He said to forget what the label said because they all say light or lighter. If they do not list the weight on the attached label in the store you can probably be certain that 'light' on the label may only been as little as an ounce lighter that the previous unit!

He also said that price and brand name do not always indicate high quality. He has seen inexpensive brands that were far better constructed than their more expensive cousins. His recommendation was to forget brand...buy firstly on the the basis of wheels, zippers, and handles. His personal preference was soft side. He showed me some bags in for repair-why some were crap, others much better.

He did not recommend a specific brand other than to avoid the airline branded luggage in dept stores.

We bought a couple of Eagle Creek soft side roller bags. International carry on size. It is what we each only travel with...7 days or 7plus weeks.

After 12 years of constant travel 4-6 months per year...cruises, safaries, cobblestones, ferries where everyone elses bags were piled on ours both bags are as new. Including the wheels and the zippers! This could also be because we never check them. We went with international size because this is often the limitation on European and SE Asian LC regional carriers. Slightly smaller that the NA airline regs. They work for us. I have no doubt that there are many good bags out there but you really do have to shop.

I was in a well known travel store just prior to covid. I overheard the salesperson talking about a piece of luggage. She was speaking total crap to the poor customer. Did not talk zippers, wheels, handles or ask what kind of travel. It was all about the brand. She had no idea what she was selling or even how to highlight whey this higher end bag was good. The customer walked, as I would have had I been that customer.

Last edited:
For this trip, I'm using an old American Tourister soft case suitcase. Only 2 wheels and it rolls better than the flaky 4 wheel Samsonite. I did inspect the wheels on the Samsonite. They didn't look too bad. Maybe when have some time after I return, I'll spray some silicone lube on the wheels to see if that makes any difference.

I got the Samsonite with the main reason that it doesn't use zippers and is secure as I don't like the idea of tempting hotel housecleaning to go through my luggage with an unprotected suitcase. Probably won't happen. But you never know.

A light bulb turned on for me about hard vs soft cases. Most hard case suitcases still have a zipper. I've always thought that's counter intuitive as an exposed zipper still is open to slashing of picking open. But it dawned on me, those hard cases aren't to protect from curious hands but probably more from bumping around other luggage when moved about. At least that's my theory.

Last edited:
How about using the Samsonite four wheel spinner as a two wheeler? Just pull it along on two wheels instead of standing it on end and using four wheels?

You might have to swap out the bad wheel for a good wheel to make its use as a 2-wheeler compatible with the handle orientation.

Exposed spinner wheels never made sense to me. Seems like they could easily get damaged and they also make it harder to get the luggage in overhead bins since they take up more space.

I have an Eagle Creek which has two inline roller-blade style wheels. Works great.

Here’s a link to what I use: https://a.co/d/3qEQkQM

I went ahead and used some silicone spray on the wheels. Think that did the trick :) .

Before, I couldn't really spin the suitcase around at all. Now I can with one hand. The suitcase is empty though as I transferred all my stull already to the soft case two wheeler. Going old school this trip.

Is lubing one's suitcase wheels common regular maintenance? I guess so. :blush:

Last edited:
I have a Zero Halliburton 22" spinner which at the time I bought was the lightest 22" bag available. About 4# IIRC. It has a zipper closure and the sorta-hard shell is Lexan, which is pretty tough stuff. I just looked at the paperwork and it has the usual bold print "LIFETIME WARRANTY' but as usual "normal wear and tear" is not covered. So far, so good, using it on a couple of international trips a year -- carry-on outbound, checked homebound. Hard to tell what the future holds for this bag but so far I'm happy with it.

Have an ebags soft shell suitcase/backpack.Small enough to meet AA overhead requirements. Heading to Ireland for 9 days with it. . Will update with my experience.

....he told me that the majority of repairs are wheels and zippers. Apparently 4 wheel bags are his biggest repair segment. The wheels snap off in baggage handling. Zippers...cheap zippers that split open. He highly recommended two good quality inline wheels. Ones that could be easily removed and replaced. Like roller blade wheels. ...

Interesting. Seasoned traveler here and road warrior back when I was working.

DW has a newer carryon and opted for spinner wheels. They seem cheap to me and with all the dragging of a carryon around the streets of NYC and London I can easily imagine thoe two flimsy wheels either snaping off or jambing up, so when I recently had to replace my carryon I opted for the traditional two larger wheels rather than spinners.

It actually took me a little shopping to find a decent non-spinner carryon.

Last edited:
We will stick with the inline skate type wheels, as they work well on bumpy streets compared to spinners, and I can drag them up stairs and have the wheels do some work.

Good idea to lube them every few years.

My wife gave me a carryon bag with 4 exposed spinner wheels but I never use it for the simple reason that they shortened the space for luggage by about 1.5" to make room for the exposed wheels. When I'm trying to make do and not check a bag, losing that extra space would doom me.

Now that I see this thread, it makes perfect sense that those exposed wheels would also be subject to damage, so that bag will stay in the back of the closet.

Dont overlook maintenance. Cleaning the axles and a little oil can make a big difference sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom