Motorhome 2018

Seeing the country, RV tour

What are your thoughts on my RV touring plan? We would like to tour the West Coast, Pacific Northwest, and Western National Parks. We would drive from the Midwest to the West Coast, tour for a month or so, then put the RV in storage and fly home. The following year we will fly west, pick up the RV and tour for a month then fly home, etc.

Do you see any problems with this plan?

What are your thoughts on my RV touring plan? We would like to tour the West Coast, Pacific Northwest, and Western National Parks. We would drive from the Midwest to the West Coast, tour for a month or so, then put the RV in storage and fly home. The following year we will fly west, pick up the RV and tour for a month then fly home, etc.

Do you see any problems with this plan?

I have read of this being done. Good planning resources include irv2.com, rv.net and rvforum.net.

The challenge will be to properly winterize your RV before leaving and dealing with dead batteries when arriving. Another risk will be rodents chewing holes and wires which does happen in RVs that are not used much.

If you have a motorhome, you will have fuel storage issues. Fuel can go bad after a few months. You also have to store with a full tank to prevent water from getting in.

We are just finishing up about a month in Michigan, centered around the Petoskey, Traverse City, & South Haven areas. Gorgeous areas, crystal clear blue lakes, hundreds of bike/hike & Jeep trails (including the North Country Trail) - close to “home base” for a good portion of the country. Great restaurants, convenient services, and the full range of campsites from rural boondocks to some of the most luxurious in the country. Great weather - nice cool nights and days have been mid 60s to 70s: perfect. Hate to leave!

Time for an update. DW and I are a couple of weeks into our Fall trip. First picture is from SILT, CO where we camped along the Colorado river. 2nd picture is from Breckenridge where we are staying at the very, very nice Tiger Run RV Resort.

Next up, we will visit Santa Fe, Taos and Ouray.

Attachments

• 20180902_144650.jpg
    20180902_144650.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 20180910_114929.jpg
    20180910_114929.jpg
    346.5 KB · Views: 44
Time for an update. DW and I are a couple of weeks into our Fall trip. First picture is from SILT, CO where we camped along the Colorado river. 2nd picture is from Breckenridge where we are staying at the very, very nice Tiger Run RV Resort.

Next up, we will visit Santa Fe, Taos and Ouray.

We were at Tiger Run! I knew I should have talked to the person walking those two Cavaliers! :). I was walking the old Australian Cattle Dog. We pulled out on Saturday, in the ‘17 Dutch Star. We are in Ouray now, until Saturday. If you’ve been through here before, would love to meet & talk RV routes, etc (if you get here in time). Small world (at least for Class As in CO)

Cc & Paul

Could have been fun to meet up. We will not arrive in Ouray until early October as we head back to SLC. Our next stop is the Newmar rally in Buena Vista.

As for routes, I leave all the navigation and planning to DW and her Garmin. All I know is I have a white knuckle experience when I drive from Durango to Ouray. Something about narrow, winding road while climbing along a cliff. Pure Joy!

Could have been fun to meet up. We will not arrive in Ouray until early October as we head back to SLC. Our next stop is the Newmar rally in Buena Vista.

As for routes, I leave all the navigation and planning to DW and her Garmin. All I know is I have a white knuckle experience when I drive from Durango to Ouray. Something about narrow, winding road while climbing along a cliff. Pure Joy!
I dove that year with a monster case of vertigo! Wasn't as much fun as you might imagine.

All I know is I have a white knuckle experience when I drive from Durango to Ouray. Something about narrow, winding road while climbing along a cliff. Pure Joy!

We took our 38’ motorhome through Colorado earlier this year and spent 4 or 5 nights in Durango. We took a day trip in our Toad (a Jeep Wrangler) to Silverton, which is midway between Durango and Ouray. It was a fun drive in the Jeep, but I can tell you that I was really glad that I wasn’t driving the motorhome on that stretch of road. White knuckle indeed!!

The Million Dollar Highway. I did that route in my truck conversion MH (toterhome, really big super C) while towing a toad. It was not a fun drive in a big vehicle. Beautiful scenery, but i had to concentrate too much on driving to enjoy the view much. Subsequent trips I did the bypass route which is a lot easier drive for a big vehicle, and still very pretty drive. Timewise is not much difference, just a little longer miles.

The Million Dollar Highway...

It was not a fun drive in a big vehicle. Beautiful scenery, but i had to concentrate too much on driving to enjoy the view much.

+1

That's definitely a route we don't take in the RV. Far more preferable (for us) to stay in Durango or Ouray and enjoy the drive without the house attached.

+1

That's definitely a route we don't take in the RV. Far more preferable (for us) to stay in Durango or Ouray and enjoy the drive without the house attached.
Do be careful driving. Our neighbor , whose been in SW CO for 12 years, just learned there are moose in the area. They almost hit one going over Wolf Creek two nights ago. She got a short jerky video of the thing, yea that's a moose! Her voice was still shaking from their encounter.

I drove from Ouray to Silverton in a 26' class c motorhome in April of last year after picking it up in Denver during a snowstorm. The road was wet but no snow on the road, beautiful drive. Don't think I'd do it in anything bigger though.

I ride the road each year on a motorcycle. No way I would take a camper nor a motorhome through there. JDARNELL

Back
Top Bottom