Need Advice on Travel Gear

I am an old fan of Rick Steves. I think he may have gone soft since he's by now, family man, soft and rich and middle aged. But the "pack light" gospel in the old days was basically use one (yes, just one) convertible backpack -- suitcase. I have an old Eagle Creek that works, but has to be checked luggage. When I fly, I try to put everything into a carry on sized daypack (book bag). Yes, you have to pare down what you bring, but it can be done. Rick's (and other's) advice to pack your bag and then walk around your block carrying it (not rolling it!) for an hour or so is good advice .. you might decide you can do without some of the crap you thought "essential." But hell, if you are a wealthy traveler and can hire sherpas to tote your steamer trunks, bring the whole f-----g wardrobe, I don't care.

Rick's (and other's) advice to pack your bag and then walk around your block carrying it (not rolling it!) for an hour or so is good advice .. you might decide you can do without some of the crap you thought "essential."

It is true that Rick's criteria is that you should be able to carry it on your back for long periods. However, why deny yourself of one of mankind's greatest invention, the wheels?

That said, the fewer things you bring, the better. Of course it doesn't matter to people who take packaged European tours that take care of all baggage transfer, from the airport as well as to the hotel rooms at each nightly stop. At hotels, I have seen older couples bringing huge old-style suitcases that made me cringe imagining myself lugging it on a Eurail train or through a city metro.

Still, we have not been able to pare down to one tiny carry-on due to our travel tending to be during cooler or cold periods of the year. Rick also advises people to wash their own clothes and hang in the hotel's bathroom to dry. I'd rather bring enough for a daily change through the trip, and for a 2-3 week trip that adds up quick when one brings warmer clothes. Perhaps we could look for local laundromats, but when in foreign lands that can become a hassle, and takes time from other more leisurely activities. One goes to Europe for a vacation, and not to do laundry! Of course it is not a problem money cannot solve, such as paying hotel laundry charges, or throwing away your dirty clothes (hotels charge more to wash underwear and socks than mine are worth), but it goes against my frugal nature. :)

More than size, Rick's criteria is about weight: a 20-lb limit. I started to bring my laptop on recent international trips. It lets me look for info while on the road, and has proven useful. However, it quickly convinced me to get a smaller and lighter unit. But my just-purchased 13.3" laptop still weights 4.4lbs, without its power pack. An excuse to get a netbook? Economic stimulus, anyone?

Gee, all this talk about travel makes me itching to go. I may need to get off this forum to go look for travel deals. :)

My wife and I are experienced world travelers now living in Mexico. What we've found is that paring down the amount of stuff is hard but invariably liberating. 2-3 pair of lightweight Patagonia capilene or ExOfficio underwear are key - enough for a year-long round the world trip. Ditto with one or two capilene under garments.

A lightweight cashmere or hi-tech sweater (ExOfficio or Travelsmith) will do for more formal places - no need for anything bulkier.

As for luggage, a carry on back pack like the Rick Steves or Eagle Creek is great, with an ultra light weight daypack (Eagle Creek) or the like. Total weight including the luggage should be under 25 lbs. (we spent five months in Asia with 22 lbs. each and wish we'd brought less). Wheeled luggage is a nightmare in Asia, on any sort of public transport or on rough surfaces (so, anywhere outside the first world).

Internet cafés are everywhere once you leave the U.S. so no need for a laptop. In fact, try your best to avoid bringing anything that plugs in. If you're traveling for a very long time and can't live without, an Asus EEE PC or other subnotebook at around 2 lbs. may be worth it.

There is a wonderful book, The Practical Nomad, by Edward Hasbrouck, that really helps if your plans are going to take you away from canned tourist routes.

Have fun!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom