Lightweight travel compromises

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Like many I try to travel light these days. Even when I have a car available, lugging a suitcase for of things up the stairs at the a family run hotel in some small town is not fun. Neither is hoisting the stuff up to put it into a rack on a train or bus.

What compromises do you make when you travel light?

For example, carrying a weeks worth of clothing so as to limit the amount of laundry that must be done is not really practical for me. As a man of height my clothing (shoes, pants, jackets) take up a lot more space than those of a 5'6" female. At most I can pack one set of shoes. Bringing a thick warm storm jacket is just about impossible. Instead I bring a warm sweater, and a wind breaker jacket. I might also bring a warm wool vest.

What compromises do you make when you pack light? What works well and what didn't?

Last edited:
On our road trips, I don't need to pack light but I do to reserve room for trip purchases.

We stay every 4 or 5 days at a laundry equipped place, so we only pack underwear for 4-5 days. 3 pairs of pants, light jacket, a few t -shirts, maybe one long sleeved shirt. One pair of hiking shoes plus the pair I wear.

Did the same for a 10 day Alaska trip with multiple flights. The key is weight and volume. I try to keep both to a minimum. Negatives - If we run into a situation where we need something, we have to buy it on the trip. Positives - A lot less back strain and clutter.

Overheard last weekend at a fancy hotel:

"I can pack for a month in Bora Bora with a carry on, just have to limit my shoes."

My personal tricks:
Wear the bulky: The boots, the heavy jacket - most flights are cold so this isn't impractical. I use inner jacket pockets for phone/wallet so I don't have to carry a purse and take up my "small personal item", so I fly with a small backpack and a 100% full carryon case. I can hoist it up in the overhead just fine, deadlifts ftw. I keep a full set of my toiletries in travel sizes, just refill them from my regular stuff before each trip.

And most things can be worn twice before needing a wash, especially evening outfits. Really need to consider if you are just packing your closet vs. packing what you know you will wear.

If I need more stuff than fits, and I'm only/mostly going to one place in the US, I pack a box of stuff that I won't cry over, and ship it to my destination. A decent sized package going UPS ground only runs about $25 each way - the same price as a checked bag, but less worry of loss/delay, and no waiting around at the baggage carousel. I did this recently for extra t-shirts, shoes, sweaters - winter travel is more challenging than summer. I pre-printed the return shipping and included that in the package. Handed it to the front desk when I left to send it back to me. The $50 is well spent in my case.

After a few false starts we finally got into the game.

We purchased international carry on rollers. The rest was easy. We only took what fit in the bag. We had to make choices and think about the utility of clothing. We went light weight, layers. No shoes, bulky cosmetics. Any clothing that could not be worm multiple times was not considered. After the second or third trip we began to wonder why we did not switch earlier. Especially since I did many years of business travel with a carry on suit bag only.

Worked for us. Not for everyone. Our goal was to only take what we each physically handle. On planes, trains, cobbles, up stairs, etc.

My spouse cracked two vertebrae mid trip in Malaysia. We decided to continue on to Australia. I had to take care of her bags. Could not have done it if both of us were not travelling with carry on only.

It is different on car trips. We can bung anything into the trunk. But...that does not mean we lug it all into the hotel or resort. Shoes especially.

What makes an 'international' carry-on different from regular carry-on luggage? Is there a max size?

This site might help.

https://travelinglight.com/international-carry-on-size/

Towards the bottom of the site you can check out size specs of various airlines. But, I would check your airline's website. Sometimes these tables don't get updated on a regular basis.

Let’s get one thing straight. Each airline around the world is free to set whatever baggage size limits they wish.
There is no standardized, official international carry on size.
In the United States, there is something approaching consensus that carry on size is 22 x 14 x 9 inches. Alaska, Allegiant, American Airlines, Delta, JetBlue, and United have all chosen this carry on luggage size limit, and that limit doesn’t change if you are flying internationally with those airlines.
It’s best to figure out which airline you’ll be using on your trip and double-check the carry on limits on their website.
If you are planning on doing a lot of international travel and only want to own 1 suitcase then a carry on bag that is 21 x 14 x 8 will be compliant with a lot of airlines around the world.

Last edited:
I got my first lesson in traveling light on my first motorcycle road trip.
Half the crap I was thinking to take had to go back upstairs to the apartment. :LOL:

I travel in Europe for 2-3 weeks with only a carry on. Three changes of mix and match clothes, easy wash and dry items that can be washed in the hotel sink. Minimal other stuff. I've got it down to an art!

I got my first lesson in traveling light on my first motorcycle road trip.
Half the crap I was thinking to take had to go back upstairs to the apartment. :LOL:

I learned the same .

When I came home ...anything I didn't use ,I did not take the next trip.

after a few trips I got the travel size down.

If ya need something stop at a wally world and get it.

Unless we are diving or carrying aged wines to kids' houses, we do not check bags. (Next big trip, we begin with 4-5 weeks of diving, then hope to store the dive gear in either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for the land based portion of the trip....)

We do it by purchasing lightweight, quick-dry, wicking clothes, layering, laundry in the room's sink, and drying with the elastic clotheslines we carry with us. And, every so often, use local laundry facilities. To the extent that we take pictures of each other, rather than the wildlife and landscapes, I suppose seeing the same old clothes might get boring?

We don't see it as a hardship; rather, as a discipline that allows us to get around more easily once we leave the airport.

Last big trip was 72 days, including Easter Island, fancy restaurants in Santiago, Montevideo, and Buenos Aires, three week cruise including Antarctica, and 35 days driving/hiking Patagonia.

The return trip, after stuffing in the "free" heavy coats from the cruise line, was pushing it for our carry-on bags and personal items, but we did it...

What makes an 'international' carry-on different from regular carry-on luggage? Is there a max size?

Yes. International carry on size is slightly smaller than NA carry on sizes.

In our experience it is used primarily on regional carriers and LC carriers in Europe, Aisia, and as I recall Australia. Not unusual for us to have 3 or more of these flights during our trips. We use Eagle Creek carry ons. Not certain if they are still in business.

One thing we found about so called light weight carry on luggage is that often the tags may say light weight but that is akin those false 'new and improved' product claims. You really do have to weight it if the weight is not listed. Sometimes the capacity is measured. Ours are 39Litre capacity. I only care about dimensions and weight.

Last edited:
I travel in Europe for 2-3 weeks with only a carry on. Three changes of mix and match clothes, easy wash and dry items that can be washed in the hotel sink. Minimal other stuff. I've got it down to an art!

Same here. DW used to think she had to constantly change up her wardrobe on a cruise because people would notice the repeats. We hardly ever take cruises anymore, but when we did she quickly realized that seasoned travelers understand completely, and pack the same way.

• Buy clothing you can easily wash in the sink and will dry overnight.
  • European cities have laundromats just like American cities, and usually with better service.
  • You can always buy something you need.

I wear heavier clothes on the plane, take one pair of shoes and keep clothing simple. For colder weather, I stick with layers. A good shirt with a nicer pullover sweater works well if you have to dress up a bit. So does wearing hiking style pants. They kinda look like khakis, better than jeans, and are lighter and take less space.

I travel with minimal cosmetics. I don’t care much for hotel soap/shampoo, so usually I’ll hit a drugstore when I arrive and buy small bottles.

Most luggage has a zipper you can use to expand your luggage for more space. When I depart, I keep it zipped up. This guarantees me more than enough space if I acquire stuff while traveling.

For what it’s worth, I travel with an international sized suitcase. Since I travel a good amount, I splurged and bought an Eagle Creek, but a more affordable option is available from Rick Steves:

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/rolling-carry-on

I bought these for the kids when they were younger and they’ve held up well over the years.

Washable baselayers, compression sleeves…we get two weeks of clothes in international size carryons. I even sneak in a second pair of shoes. Olukais fold relatively flat.

Our 12 year old carry ons are like new despite frequent use.

Probably because they are never checked. We get free checked bags on flights to Europe and SE Asia. We are so used to carry on that we do not bother checking. Avoiding baggage fees is the last reason why would chose to go carry on only.

Cocheesehead, does the compression sleeve make your clothes wrinkled? When I travel for 6 days I can pack in a carry on. When I go to Europe for 11 days I have a small suitcase and a carry on. I go on a tour so can’t do laundry. It does sound appealing to only have a carry on.

European cities have laundromats just like American cities, and usually with better service.
Believe it or not, one of my best memories of my last trip to Paris was an evening date in a laundromat with my sweetie, a bottle of wine, a baguette, and some brie and meats enjoyed on a little table on the sidewalk outside. Only one other table occupied by a local girl doing her laundry as well. Passersby did not give us a second look.

I personally do not like dealing with luggage while traveling so I usually check my bag even it it is carryon size. But I can usually fit everything in a carryon but might need to expand it which does not matter if I am checking it. Once I have made the decision to check there is little incentive to not fill a larger suitcase. I never have to pay for bags so the only issue is personal hassle. If busses or trains were in the plan that would push me toward being lightweight.

Cocheesehead, does the compression sleeve make your clothes wrinkled? When I travel for 6 days I can pack in a carry on. When I go to Europe for 11 days I have a small suitcase and a carry on. I go on a tour so can’t do laundry. It does sound appealing to only have a carry on.

If you roll your clothes carefully there will be minimal wrinking. I have found that hanging in the closet on arrival usually gets rid of wrinking in a couple of days. You can always iron. Not sure if they are available on cruises but after 30 years of business travel I have never encountered a hotel anywhere that would not provide one for free.

No it comes with a plastic card that you use to fold everything with and then the card sits on top of the pile of clothes to act as a stiffener.

I personally do not like dealing with luggage while traveling so I usually check my bag even it it is carryon size. But I can usually fit everything in a carryon but might need to expand it which does not matter if I am checking it. Once I have made the decision to check there is little incentive to not fill a larger suitcase. I never have to pay for bags so the only issue is personal hassle. If busses or trains were in the plan that would push me toward being lightweight.
the str

I often will check a bag even a carry on. What I don't like is dragging and lugging a big heavy bag through the streets, up hills and, often worst of all, up and down skinny hotel stairs when no elevator is available.

When going on a trip, which is the only reason I fly now, I have to have a carry on or at least a knapsack.
I won't put my computer/table, camera, chargers, binoculars, medicine in a checked bag.
Too much theft of baggage contents goes on, even if it's locked it's easy to open a zipper with the lock still on.

My Sister had medicine stolen out of her checked bag.

When going on a trip, which is the only reason I fly now, I have to have a carry on or at least a knapsack.
I won't put my computer/table, camera, chargers, binoculars, medicine in a checked bag.
Too much theft of baggage contents goes on, even if it's locked it's easy to open a zipper with the lock still on.

My Sister had medicine stolen out of her checked bag.

Don't the airlines require electric gizmos with a lithium battery to be carried in the cabin? Or has that gone away?

I have had my checked bag go missing for 4 days numerous times so I always have a carry on bag with some clothes, my medication, etc.

Back
Top Bottom