New England and Upstate NY

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
In the travel forum, but not really about travel.

Just wondering how many folk here, have lived in either place, or have travelled enough of that part of the world to have an opinion of what you've seen.

We spent the first 45 years of our life, living in these states, in approximately 20 different locations.
Through High School, mostly in Pawtucket and Providence, but after that, College in Brunswick Maine for me, and Boston College for DW.

In the working years:
Winthrop Maine
Ayer MA
Buzzards Bay MA
Martha's Vineyard MA
Falmouth MA,
So Boston MA
Revere MA
Claremont NH
Greenfield MA
Hartford CT
Albany NY
Saratoga Springs NY
... and about 150 days of hiking, biking, camping and canoeing in the Adirondack State Forest.

My fondest memories go back to this part of the country. Am looking for anyone else who has spent some time "living" there, long enough to know and appreciate the area and the people... not just a week's foliage tour.

Did you like it?

Last edited:
I lived in Ayer, Fitchburg, and then Fort Pond for about 4 years while stationed at Fort Devens. Sad to say, my best day was my last. This was late 80's. Way too many folks despised the military. All too many (like a college professor that I had) said things like, "your much too intelligent to be in the army."

I did meet some great folks, but ran across too many in the paragraph #1 group. I got by spending as much time as I could in the country, mountains, lakes, etc (where I didn't have to explain myself to anyone).

Syracuse NY. I seem to mentally divide my life into two parts. The two years I spent in Syracuse and everything else. When you die and go to Heaven it will be like a Summer's day in Syracuse.

I spent 6 more years in the Utica / Rome area about 50 miles away. Still loved it and have fond memories but I was older by then and it didn't have quite the same effect as Syracuse had a few yrs earlier.

Last edited:
We filled the penny jar up in Amherst as I was in grad school at UMass then. Enjoyed it.

I've lived in 14 different states, in all regions of the country, including the West Coast, the Midwest, the Mid-Atlantic states, the South and even Hawaii. But New England is the right place for me.

I have lived in MA, RI, upstate NY, and a few different places in CT (where I live now), we have summered in ME each summer for the past 16 years and I've been many times to VT and NH. I find it just about perfect.

Last edited:
Wife and I grew up in NE. I lived in the suburbs of Boston, wife in Worcester area. We met at U-Lowell and moved to southern NH. We now live in NC after 30 years up North :)

We moved for a lower cost of living, and better climate. Neither of us ski, or do any snow activity. Snow was great as a child, as an adult, it's a PITA. Snow removal gets old after the first few feet. Maybe it's not so bad in ER because there's not rush to get to work. [emoji3]

I miss the cool summer nights, low/no humidity, fresh apples, lobster, white mountains for camping and hiking, twisting NE roads on my Harley, the history and old-town feel of the classic NE town.

Most of our family still lives in the area and visiting gets our fill now.

If you like snow, or can deal with it, along with the cost of living then it really is nice.

I spent about three years in Massachusetts. I used to live in Andover, MA, then Allston, MA, then Brookline, MA. I was living near the Kennedy's child hood home, not too far from Boston College and Boston University. I loved my time there and being back a few times. My ex-roommate was from Rhode Island so I did go there often, the area near Brown college, IIRC. I also came back for a bike tour in Vermont in late 80s. I loved the the food from the Inn that we stayed with the bike Vermont tour. Great food. My best food experience while growing up was in New England.

Last edited:
I worked, and am now retired, in the Finger Lakes area of NY State. Still really like it, although I'm eager to spend a good part of winters elsewhere.

I spent about three years in Massachusetts. I used to live in Andover, MA, then Allston, MA, then Brookline, MA. I was living near the Kennedy's child hood home, not too far from Boston College and Boston University. I loved my time there and being back a few times. My ex-roommate was from Rhode Island so I did go there often, the area near Brown college, IIRC. I also came back for a bike tour in Vermont in late 80s. I loved the the food from the Inn that we stayed with the bike Vermont tour. Great food. My best food experience while growing up was in New England.

Hey, I grew up in Brookline, MA and then moved to Southern California. Are you following me?

We love, love NE. DH is from Topsfield, MA (on Rte 1 about 20 mi north of Boston). He graduated from Salem State in Salem, MA.

We met in Portland, ME and lived there a couple years after we married. Each of us often wishes we had stayed. At the time, it seemed too expensive. HA. Now, it really is expensive.

DH's parents owned a lake cottage in the Sebago Lakes Region. When our kids were young, we spent many summers in that cottage. The memories....the pine trees, the soft rains, the cold lake water with rock bottom, the loons....

These days, DH and I try to get up to Maine/Mass at least every other year. We prefer driving, but flying is sometimes handier.

Driving, I always love the point of "hitting New England". Everything changes. The tree-filled towns, the unique historic resonation, town signs that give the dates they were founded from way back....not to mention a Dunkin Donuts every mile or so.

Your post reminded me I'd like to head up there tomorrow.

Hey, I grew up in Brookline, MA and then moved to Southern California. Are you following me?
Where in Brookline? I lived right on Beacon Street, I believe the Boston Marathon used to run through there. Got flagged once for a ride but I was too chickened to give a total stranger a ride.

I spent many summers at a boys camp in the Adirondacks as a kid. Loved it. Took my son up to climb Mt Marcy 2 years back...34 years after the last time I set foot in the high peaks region...we both loved it (although it kicked our butts:).

My grandfather had a cabin in NH...a rustic wood cabin in a community of rustic old cabins...I can still remember hearing my granddad starting a fire in the morning as we were all still in bed.

Went to school in Boston, spent vacations as a kid in Nantucket and the cape, grew up in Simsbury, CT....all mostly good memories.

The only thing I no longer miss about New England are the cold, long winters. Where I live now the winters are 1.5 months shorter, and the DW and I will move farther south still when we kick out of the rat race to shorten the winters even more.

But a great part of the country none the less.

I grew up in Ayer, Ma living about a mile and half from the main gate of Fort Devens. I have fond memories of my childhood growing up in the '60's and Ft Devens was a busy place during that time. My family roots go back to the late 19th century in Ayer. I left many years ago but return once a year to visit family. We usually go back to visit in the Fall to see the colors. My DH loves that time of year especially as he's a native southern CA boy. When I was in my early 20's couldn't wait to leave but I've come to appreciate the quaint little town I come from and enjoy going back to visit. I don't miss the winters, though.

I was born, raised & educated in Massachusetts. I grew up in Pittsfield in the Berkshires, went to BU for undergrad (where I lived near Kenmore Square during the school year and in sublets in Brookline & Brighton during the summer), and Brandeis in Waltham for grad school.

I like to go back & visit family in the fall. I can do without the winters. :)

Last edited:
My fondest memories go back to this part of the country. Am looking for anyone else who has spent some time "living" there, long enough to know and appreciate the area and the people... not just a week's foliage tour.

Did you like it?

I am now retired while my wife plans to work a few more years.

My wife and I grew up in Massachusetts. Five years ago we purchased a second home in Maine in an over-55 community to use as a weekend/vacation home. We expect to eventually retire there.

While we might choose to duck out for a month or two in the winter, the rest of the year in coastal Maine is terrific. There's no place I'd rather be.

In fact I recently retired to the Adirondack Park. It's great.

I lived in northern Vermont between age of 10 and 18 and then 45 until today - 57.

It was a fantastic place to grow up and that was a big reason we left Silicon Valley and returned to raise our three boys.

When I was younger I loved the snow and winter activities. After chemo a few years ago, I can no longer be outdoors for extended periods when it is cold out. We were told long ago the trick to living through Vermont (New England) winters was to continue to be active outside. Unfortunately now I am more of a winter shut-in and I hate it.

We have a small cottage on Lake Champlain which is fantastic 5 months of the year and this October we will start our snowbirding existence to the St. George area where we can stay active outdoors all winter.

Not much for bucket lists, but if there's one thing to do before I die:

Drive along one of those beautiful New England (Vermont/NH) roads where the river flows alongside. Top down convertible blaring Aaron Copland's Appalachian Spring.

The beauty of New England is like no other.

Lived and worked in Connecticut for 40 years. Still have family there. I was in Waterbury a month ago for a week visit.

I'm staying in Texas. The Connecticut I knew as a boy and young man is no longer there. 90% of my friends have moved to more progressive states. I do miss fishing trips to Maine, but the Gulf has more going for it.

Grew up in Melrose (8 miles north of Boston)
Commuted to U Lowell for college
17 years in the South End of Boston
For the last 10 years I have lived in Stoneham (10 miles north of Boston)
In process of buying and will eventually move to Southern Maine.

After growing up in Midwest and then most of past thirty years in the PNW, the last five years in Boston burbs have been a challenge. The local personality is an acquired taste that DW and I have a hard time appreciating. But hey, it's pushing us toward ER so all good.

I grew up in the New Haven, CT area. I have been overseas most of my adult life but recently moved to the Hudson Valley area of New York.

I grew up in central MA and also went to U Lowell, seems like there are a few of us on the board that went to school there. I took a job on the west coast after graduating and only go back now to visit family, now live in AZ. Still a die hard Boston sports team fan but never had a desire to move back, prefer a climate where I can play golf, bike, and hike all year long.

Lived in a small town in Upstate NY (Cortland area) for 2 years when I was young. It was beautiful and the people were nice. We left because the COL was high in comparison to the wages. WE moved to WI where the COL was lower and the wages higher.

I have lived my entire life in New England.... was born and raised in Vermont... went to college in Massachusetts... then back to Vermont for my first few years of work... then back to Boston area for work for 6 years... and then back to Vermont to raise our kids and still here in retirement. Ditto for DW.

Our recent 6 months of snowbirding was the longest period of time that we have been away from New England my entire life.

Back
Top Bottom