New Mexico

The New Mexico magazine even has a regular feature called "One of our 50 is Missing" with funny stories of people in other states (even Colorado just north of us!) not realizing that NM is a State.
One of Our 50 is Missing New Mexico Magazine Humor Column
Thanks for that column. I can see that NM residents have a cross to bear. It never occured to me that it would be a problem but then I studied (and passed) geography in HS.

(Now if we can just get the NY sports teams to play in NY!)

My first visit to New Mexico was in 1960 to the Philmont National Boy Scout Ranch near Cimarron.

Wow, that sure brought back a memory. We might even have been there at the same time.

As a Boy Scout in Brooklyn, NY, I made the trip in 1960 to the national Jamboree in Colorado Springs. Our troop (which was actually an ad hoc troop composed of all the kids in Brooklyn from various troops who were going to the Jamboree) made a 28 day trip on a chartered bus. We left New York a couple of weeks before the Jamboree, heading basically southwest. We slept mostly on the floors of high school gyms, and saw various sights along the way.

The major highlight of the trip, apart from the Jamboree itself, was an abbreviated Philmont experience. We spent four days backpacking and camping at Philmont before heading on to Colorado Springs. After the Jamboree, we headed northeast, even through Canada, on our way back to New York.

The trip of a lifetime, and I still remember it vividly.

Love SF & Taos area with their abode architecture.

Recommend the High Road to Taos drive from SF stopping in Chimayo & 1500's era mission churches:

High Road to Taos, New Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In Taos, the Millicent Rodgers Museum of art & Native American jewelry is excellent. The high bridge over the Rio Grande north of town is a thrill. The "earth homes" on the mesa west of town are quite diffferent - passive solar heating. Then there's the Taos Pubeblo that's been occupied for hundreds of years. Oh yea, plenty of art galleries & good restaurants.

In SF, Georgia O'Keefe Muesum is great. Also love the cathedral and it's spiral staircase.

The Gila Cliff Dwellings on the western side of NM are very interesting. Being off the beaten path, you are not overrun by other tourists. While just outside of NM to the NW is Canyon DeCheye - a must see if in the area.

If you want off the beaten path there is Chaco Canyon, it is 50 miles from anywhere in the northwest part of the state.

Just got back from Taos and enjoyed it. Santa Fe was nice too.

Back
Top Bottom