New York in September

chrisaukcam

Recycles dryer sheets
Going to New York for the first time ever this September for a wedding on Fire Island. I understand that the statute of liberty is closed. And we aren't really interested in seeing the Empire State building. Might visit Times Square just to say that we have been there and also take in a broadway show, again so we can say been there, done that.

Any other things to see and do that are worthwhile? Any travel tips? I understand that you probably don't want to drive - either do the subway or take a cab.

Statue of Liberty will reopen on July 4, 2013. Cleaning up from Sandy. Subway or cab...don't drive. Go see some of the neighborhoods and ditch the mid town mayhem. WTC memorial is worth seeing.

If you love museums the Museum of Natural History, the Guggenheim, and the Museum of Modern Art are good bets.

Metropolitan Museum of Art should be high on your list.

The big three for me are:

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art

2. Natural History Museum

3. Broadway shows

MOMA and Guggenheim are very good as well.

A Broadway show with dinner afterwards in Little Italy and dessert at Ferrarra's.....

The Guggenheim and MOMA......

A walk in Central Park....

The seaport early in the morning....

There are Ferry dinner rides around the island that can be fun. The food isn't great, but the views are spectacular!

The big three for me are:

1. Metropolitan Museum of Art

2. Natural History Museum

3. Broadway shows

MOMA and Guggenheim are very good as well.

+1
Also Hayden Planetarium.
If you like Art Deco, don't miss Grand Central Station (an easy walk from Times Square).
Go to one of the TKTS booths and get half price tickets to one of that evening's Broadway shows.

Walk along the new highline park on the west side. It's a park that they built on top of an old elevated railway line. It's quite unique.

The Intrepid museum .
We usually book hotels from Priceline for New York but last year we got the Cassa Hotel from Travelzoo. Great location(close to Times Square but not as noisy ) , extremely nice rooms with free internet .

IMO, Times square was neat but the Met was better. Last time there King Tut was at the Museum of Nat History, would have loved to go but it was packed with school kids. Wicked was really cool at the Gershwin if you haven't seen it.

Go walking in Manhattan. Take in the sights & sounds & the energy.

Grand Central to the Waldorf Astoria (good restrooms:) to St. Patricks, Rockerfeller Center, North on 5th past all the high-end retailers to Central Park. Wander around - or walk all the way to the Met & back. Come south on 7th through Times square and then East on 42nd to the NYC Library.

Google NYC walks & you'll find some to suit your tastes.

Definitely agree on the museums especially the Met.

September is a beautiful time to see Manhattan. Have fun!

Use the subway. It is easy, relatively inexpensive ($2.50 for a ride anywhere) and substantially quicker than a cab when the traffic is bad.

I would skip the Statue of Liberty. The lines to get on the boat are horrendously long due to the security measures, and there's really nothing special about getting up close and personal. Take a regular harbor cruise instead. They will drive by the Statue of Liberty on the boat and you can take plenty of pictures. It is most impressive seen from the water anyway. You'll also get to see a lot of other things.

I would also skip Times Square. You've seen all you need to see on New Years Rockin' Eve with Dick Clark. It is otherwise noisy and miserably crowded, and the stores and restaurants around there are nothing but tourist traps.

I would go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and perhaps the Frick if you have time. That and a walk in Central Park would be a full day in and of itself. The Natural History Museum is also fun. If you've never seen a Broadway show, you can try TKTS for cut price tickets. If you are into opera (and who isn't?), the 2013-14 season opens at the Metropolitan Opera on September 23rd, with Eugene Onegin and Così fan tutte alternating nights for the first week

Be prepared to spend a lot at a restaurant for dinner.

Going to New York for the first time ever this September for a wedding on Fire Island. I understand that the statute of liberty is closed. And we aren't really interested in seeing the Empire State building. Might visit Times Square just to say that we have been there and also take in a broadway show, again so we can say been there, done that.

Any other things to see and do that are worthwhile? Any travel tips? I understand that you probably don't want to drive - either do the subway or take a cab.

There seem to be two kinds of people in the world. Those that fall in love with NYC and those that hate it. On the chance that you fall in love, you have more than plenty of suggestions of things to do already (DO include Times Square - even though all the bad things about it are true!) And consider a Gray Line Tour.

My suggestion is to allot plenty of time - just in case you fall in love. Oh, and don't be surprised if you DO fall in love. YMMV

Go walking in Manhattan. Take in the sights & sounds & the energy.

Grand Central to the Waldorf Astoria (good restrooms:) to St. Patricks, Rockerfeller Center, North on 5th past all the high-end retailers to Central Park. Wander around - or walk all the way to the Met & back. Come south on 7th through Times square and then East on 42nd to the NYC Library.

Google NYC walks & you'll find some to suit your tastes.

Definitely agree on the museums especially the Met.

September is a beautiful time to see Manhattan. Have fun!

I couldn't have said it better. If I had to pick one area I would take to the streets of midtown and explore. I've travelled to the city for business every month or so for years and this area is still my favorite.

We went for the first time last summer. Enjoyed MOMA, Central Park, Ellis Island Museum, and the Natural History Museum. Eat pizza. Visit the Tks Tks booth in Times Square for discount Broadway tickets. The Rockefeller Center tour was a real highlight of the trip, really fascinating history of the city and media. Biggest disappointment was the Empire State Building. If you want to see Ground Zero, order tickets in advance of your trip.

Have fun!

SIS

Driving in Manhattan can be fun. It's the parking that can spoil it.

+1 - been there many times and "usually" drive in Manhattan. It's not that bad! But, parking can be "interesting" and expensive. I'm sure I wouldn't want to drive there every day if I lived there. The Empire State building, Times Square (at night) and Central Park (during the day :cool:) were all on my to do list on my first visit.

If you are a foodie, the Union Square greenmarket is worth a visit -- very pricey, but you can sample some nice stuff from area farmers. There are also some great specialty food shops in the West Village and that is a nice neighborhood to walk about in. Jackson Heights is great if you like South Asian food. Chinatown and Flushing great for authentic Chinese. Just check Chowhound and you can plan yourself a marvelous "eat your way around NYC trip" if you are into that kind of thing.

Avoid the tourbuses and just take the public buses around town to see a lot. I actually prefer the bus to the subway because you can actually see where you are going and get a better feel for the layout of the city. Many of the bus routes travel straight shots up/down the avenues and on the crosstown streets, so it is pretty easy to figure out how to get around.

And if you get a bit burned out by everything, head up to the Cloisters, which is one of the most serene places in NYC. The park it sits in should be beautiful in September, too.

Try exotic food which might not be available in the rest of USA. Like Turkish, Persian, Ethiopian, Peruvian, Chinese Dim Sum, and Malaysian.

Try exotic food which might not be available in the rest of USA. Like Turkish, Persian, Ethiopian, Peruvian, Chinese Dim Sum, and Malaysian.

My favorite Turkish restaurant in NYC is Akdeniz, at 46th Street between 5th and 6th Ave. You won't be disappointed.

I grew up 35 N of NYC and enjoyed dozens of field trips to the Big Apple. :D

1. Do not drive. :nonono:
2. Look for an all day shuttle (google online ahead of time) that drops you off at key tourist sites and allows you to get back on the shuttle again anytime you want. I did this in Boston and had a ball. Very safe plus knowing your ongoing ride will be there very soon makes the day a lot less stressful than trying to hail a cab or figure out bus/subway lines and times.
3. Try the pizza. There is none finer than real NY pizza, i.e. a slice to go at one of the family owned Italian pizza joints that abound.
4. A hot pastrami sandwich from an authentic Jewish deli is a must.
5. Safety: Keep your wallet in front pocket. Keep purse under coat or just use a money wallet under your clothes. Do not use the unmarked "cabs" to save a buck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom