Packing cubes

haha

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I want some zippable sub-bags to put in a pack that is not actually designed for travel. My everyday walk-around pack is perfect size for short trips, put if I just put shirts and pants in it they will look like they have been in a laundry bag when I pull them out.

Any suggestions? I read reviews on Amazon, and all of them seems to have poor worksmanship, or at least poor quality control.

Suggestions?

Thanks, Ha

I always fold my clothes, then roll them up and pack them tightly together. There's less shifting and rubbing that way, which is what makes them look so wrinkly. It works for me.

I bought some packing cubes from Rick Steves. Got them when they were 20% off. He frequently has such sales. They seem to be well made. since they are mesh on both top and bottom it's easy to see what's inside.

I find packing cubes to be the best way to go when one is packing and unpacking frequently, say every 2-3 days. OTOH, if one is going to hotel, AirB&B or cruise ship, unpacks and stays a week, they are not quite as useful.

I purchased a set of eBags packing cubes from Amazon over a year ago. They were well made and they have held up quite well.

I always fold my clothes, then roll them up and pack them tightly together. There's less shifting and rubbing that way, which is what makes them look so wrinkly. It works for me.

That how I pack my clothes in the packing cubes, then the tightly packed cubes go in my soft-sided duffel.

Last edited:
small to mid size packing cube + Ziploc slider bags for organizing small things

If you travel light there isn't that much room in a suitcase for multiple packing cubes.

I love my Eagle Creek packing cubes and haven't had any problems with them, durability-wise. I'm also a big fan of their folders.

Not cheap, admittedly, but the cubes keep me organized and the folders keep shirts relatively wrinkle-, although not crease-, free.

ziploc bags for stuff that you don't mind getting wrinkled.
eBags.com sells some good packing cubes. Spend a bit more to get lightweight ones.

I use a small backpack too when I go for short trips and the above combo works wonderfully.

I have two that I'll never travel without. One is an Eagle Creek "Clean Dirty" cube. It's two sided; I have clean underwear and t-shirts in one side and move them to the other side as they get dirty. Then getting laundry done is easy and organized. I also have an E-Bags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry bag that is great. Lots of organization and it easily fits crosswise in a standard carry-on bag, not like the usual space-wasting lumps of bags. IMO it's a particularly brilliant design for traveling.

I have two that I'll never travel without. One is an Eagle Creek "Clean Dirty" cube. It's two sided; I have clean underwear and t-shirts in one side and move them to the other side as they get dirty. Then getting laundry done is easy and organized. I also have an E-Bags "Pack-it-Flat" toiletry bag that is great. Lots of organization and it easily fits crosswise in a standard carry-on bag, not like the usual space-wasting lumps of bags. IMO it's a particularly brilliant design for traveling.

I use something similar made by tom bihn. It's a 2 sided stuff sack and fabulous for keeping socks and undies rounded up. I pack it with clean on one side and add the dirty to the other side as the trip progresses. I HATE having lose socks in my luggage.

Love this thing....

I fold and roll my clothes also, and then put them in gallon ziplock bags. The ziplock bags can be used for anything including dirty clothes.

Our favorite are Rick Steve’s mesh bags because they stretch. Some of the other nylon ones are quite rigid and don’t conform to what you pack. For dirty clothes I either wash my quick dry stuff in the nightly shower or just get a plastic grocery bag on my trip.

I use zip lock bags with zippers for toiletries, underwear and socks.
Rick Steve's packing cubes are also great.
I wrap pants and shirts around the packing cubes kept inside plastic laundry bags. Clothes wrapped in plastic laundry bags shed wrinkles for the most part.

We use the Eagle Creek pack-it cubes and most of them we bought in 1999 and 2000!

A couple of the were replaced for free as they had a lifetime warranty.

Still working like champs!!!

DH uses Eagle Creek packing cubes and loves them. His clothes are not wrinkled with these. Eagle Creek has a lifetime warranty on everything so you can buy with confidence.

I also use Eagle Creek, but the Specter very light packing bags. They weigh almost nothing and come in multiple colors. I have multiple sizes and colors, to make it easy to differentiate between different types of clothing.

I use the Specter cubes also, some regular and some compression ones. For work clothes, its an Eagle Creek folder. Keeps items neat and doesn;t add wrinkles.

I found a set of Sharper Image brand packing cubes at a cut rate price at Marshalls a few years ago. I have been pleased with them. They nest together perfectly in the carryon and help to keep my suitcase from becoming a jumbled mess on a trip...

Last edited:
We (re)-use plastic grocery bags, labeled with permanent marker. The price is right. [emoji4]

I use bags packing cubes. Got them on black friday. They work very well had them for 2 years thus far.

Thanks for all these good suggestions. I think for this trip I have coming up I will go cheap with one gallon zip-locks. I have traveled very little since everything was tightened up so much, but I feel fairly confident now.

Ha

I was confused about the topic of this thread.

Thought it might have been the opposite of "packing heat" - LOL.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom