Rocky Mountaineer train trip

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Seriously considering the big Rocky Mountaineer train excursion in BC and Alberta.
Has anyone here done that in recent years? I'd love to hear any tips, cautions, or advice about it.

I've seen several newer you tube videos on the train recently. I'd watch those first.

We went just before Covid, so maybe not recent enough for you. Vancouver to Banff - gold service with overnight stays in motels. It was WONDERFUL.

At least for the gold level, you sit in the upper deck with wrap around glass windows - since the rail is usually in valley's, you get amazing views of the mountains towering over you. The hotels were for the most part upper end. It seemed the beverage and snacks were endless and you ate breakfast and lunch on the deck below you.

jE1O5xDm.jpg

Thanks. I really haven't heard anything bad about it, only compliments, so I think we'll most likely do it.

Expensive is putting it mildly, but certainly a bucket list type of trip.

we looked in to it but it was brutally expensive because there really isn’t many meals on the train .

i think it was like 20k when all was said and done

We took a VIA rail trip like the RM, but it was much cheaper. We did it as part of a Tauck tour, and the entire tour was less expensive than the RM.
I have attached a copy of the trip story.

Attachments

• Western Canada 2015.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
We took a VIA rail trip like the RM, but it was much cheaper. We did it as part of a Tauck tour, and the entire tour was less expensive than the RM.
I have attached a copy of the trip story.

that looks amazing

We did the Rocky Mountaineer years ago and just loved it. Our trip was Vancouver to Banff, bus tour to Jasper, and train back to Vancouver from there; so we had overnights in Vancouver, Kamloops, Banff, Jasper, Kamloops, Vancouver. The Silver Leaf service on the train includes breakfast and lunch each day plus snacks and drinks. We saw lots of wildlife and the most gorgeous scenery; plus a night at the Fairmont Lake Louise was a bucket list item for me.

You can ride on the same tracks on VIA Rail, but you may end up doing the most scenic parts of the journey at night, and you won't have a host calling out "bear" or "moose" when you pass one. :)

We enjoyed it so much we took my Mom on their "Red Rocks to the Rockies" route from Moab to Denver in October of 2021. I highly recommend that one as well and am glad we timed it for the fall color.

We did the Rocky Mountaineer years ago and just loved it. Our trip was Vancouver to Banff, bus tour to Jasper, and train back to Vancouver from there; so we had overnights in Vancouver, Kamloops, Banff, Jasper, Kamloops, Vancouver. The Silver Leaf service on the train includes breakfast and lunch each day plus snacks and drinks. We saw lots of wildlife and the most gorgeous scenery; plus a night at the Fairmont Lake Louise was a bucket list item for me.

Thank you! That sounds much like the trip we're looking at.
Apart from Vancouver, we've never been to any of those places, but have long wanted to go. It's blowing that dough, but should be memorable.

Back
Top Bottom