Santa Fe NM Road Trip

i have attached a copy of our trip story to Santa Fe and Taos. If you have any questions, PM me, i am glad to reply

Thanks Souschef. Tremendous write-up! I'm printing it out along with the thread as well. I'm an IPA fan so I'll keep my eye out for those labels : )

A good place to eat is Rancho de Chimayo outside of Santa Fe.

I pulled Rancho de Chimayo up on Yelp and it looks great. I had not seen this one yet so we'll keep this one on the list for the trip. The courtyard with the sculptures looks like fun.

I agree, as a somewhat local resident to Santa Fe (about 45 mins for me), it is nothing special and basically tourist trap.

Interesting that the locals view it this way. I've been to Santa Fe perhaps 20 times (had business in Rio Rancho) and, yes, while it is a touristy area, for those of us from the East/West coasts, we find the place charming, interesting and beautiful. It is just sooo different from what we're used to.

Here on the East coast I live in a tourist town (it's our only industry) and view my town as a tourist trap and sometimes can't understand how anyone could actually enjoy themselves here but...people love it.

i have attached a copy of our trip story to Santa Fe and Taos. If you have any questions, PM me, i am glad to reply
Those photos & locations pretty much mirror what I saw & enjoyed. Thanks.

Just went through Santa Fe a few days ago. Took the Turquoise Trail from Albuquerque. Went through Madrid, the town filmed in Wild Hogs. Nice ride. Visited the Cathedral Basilica, Loretta Chapel, San Miguel Chapel, and the Georgia O'keeffe museum. Shopped in the shops surrounding the plaza. Excellent historic buildings in Santa Fe.

On your drive through Arizona check out Montazuma Castle NM and Walnut Canyon 'M. Both have interesting cliff dwellings. Also stop at the Petrified Forest National Park.

DW & I went thru Santa Fe on our way to Taos & Red River (family reunion) in July 2016; have been in this area several times over the years. I'd recommend/second the following:

- Acoma reservation; beautiful pottery (although delicate, ours has survived 30+ yrs & 15 moves :D)
- Tram to Sandia Peak in ABQ.
- Spend a few hours in Santa Fe's old square by the mission. Touristy, yes but, worthy of a few hours of your time.
- Eat lunch at Cafe Pasquale's in Old Town Santa Fe; great mole, wonderful mix of locals & tourists.
- Spend at least an afternoon in old town Taos; preferably an overnight (recommend 'The Historic Taos Inn' if you do stay overnight)
- Visit Rio Grande Gorge bridge
- If you're a fan of geography, want a pretty drive or, it's kind of on your way in/out of Taos, I'd recommend driving the Enchanted Circle as described in a post above.

DW & I went thru Santa Fe on our way to Taos & Red River (family reunion) in July 2016; have been in this area several times over the years. I'd recommend/second the following:

- Acoma reservation; beautiful pottery (although delicate, ours has survived 30+ yrs & 15 moves :D)
- Tram to Sandia Peak in ABQ.
- Spend a few hours in Santa Fe's old square by the mission. Touristy, yes but, worthy of a few hours of your time.
- Eat lunch at Cafe Pasquale's in Old Town Santa Fe; great mole, wonderful mix of locals & tourists.
- Spend at least an afternoon in old town Taos; preferably an overnight (recommend 'The Historic Taos Inn' if you do stay overnight)
- Visit Rio Grande Gorge bridge
- If you're a fan of geography, want a pretty drive or, it's kind of on your way in/out of Taos, I'd recommend driving the Enchanted Circle as described in a post above.

Thanks Huston. Is the Enchanted Circle drive the Turquoise Trail?

Thanks Huston. Is the Enchanted Circle drive the Turquoise Trail?

No. The Turquoise Trail is btwn Santa Fe & Albuquerque. The Enchanted Cirle is a circular road north of Santa Fe. If you come from Santa Fe, you'll enter the Enchanted Circle near Taos (7 o'clock), proceed clockwise to Red River (@ 12 o'clock), then around to Angel Fire (@ 5 o'clock), then back down to Santa Fe...or, elsewhere. A map is below.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.GIF
    IMG_0072.GIF
    43.2 KB · Views: 66
I've never been to New Mexico, but we just got back from Sedona a couple of weeks ago and loved it. If you enjoy scenic drives, the ride north up 89A out of town is great. Our favorite meal was at the Pumphouse Station. Great little place. Have fun!

Turquoise Trail is Hwy 14. From ABQ, go east on I-40 approx 15 miles, then take Hwy 14 north. It will go through Golden and Madrid, and then continue on to Santa Fe. About a 30 mile drive total. Madrid was recommended earlier, it is an old mining town.

Enchanted Circle is just as shown, the loop goes around the highest peak in NM: Wheeler Peak, 13167 ft elevation at the top. Pretty drive and some good spots to stop in the small towns.

Thanks 38Chevy454,

We're picking up friends up from the Albuquerque airport so am planning on taking the Turquoise Hwy into Santa Fe. Looks like a nice way to start our travels there.

Just a follow up note from our trip to Santa Fe. Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. We ended up spending two nights traveling there, three nights in Santa Fe and then two nights traveling back. Here are some highlights:

1st night in Sedona at the Hyatt. Used points so the cost was great! Very well maintained timeshare property that had comfortable suites. Walking distance to a lot of restaurants and had awesome views from many spots.

2nd day did an absolutely breathtaking hike! West Fork Trail, slightly outside Sedona, that is a moderate 6.6 mile hike. Stunning views throughout the whole hike. Matches up with some of my favorite hiking areas.

Drove to Gallup New Mexico and stayed at a Fairfield Inn and Suites that I don’t recommend. Pretty sterile and next to the train tracks so a bit noisy.

Spent 3 nights at the La Posada in Santa Fe. It’s a great hotel. Very comfortable, unique setting, and nice amenities. They have a different happy hour (free for guests) each evening from 4-5pm. Nice spa as well.

Did all the sites in town, churches, adobe homes, etc.. One surprise restaurant was the Palacio Café, a modest restaurant with great food and service. I highly recommend it. Thought that the highly rated restaurant, The Shed, was a bit overrated. Nice setting but very average food. We liked the Plaza Café on the square.

Spent a great ½ day at the Bandelier park with it’s Anastazi ruins. Really cool due to the ability to get up close to the ancient dwellings.

Heading home we stayed at a really nice B&B, the Violet Rose B&B in Winslow AZ. Excellent room and breakfast and a very comforable spot to stay. While we didn’t stay there, the renovated Las Posada hotel in town was a lot of fun to visit and have a couple of cocktails.

All in all a very fun trip so thanks to everyone for their input.

Spent 3 nights at the La Posada in Santa Fe. It’s a great hotel. Very comfortable, unique setting, and nice amenities.
Had forgotten that that's where we stayed so many years ago. Quite unique.

Sounds like great trip.

Heading home we stayed at a really nice B&B, the Violet Rose B&B in Winslow AZ. Excellent room and breakfast and a very comforable spot to stay. While we didn’t stay there, the renovated Las Posada hotel in town was a lot of fun to visit and have a couple of cocktails.

Did you see a girl my lord
In a flatbed ford?

Did you see a girl my lord
In a flatbed ford?
Take it Easy-The Eagles
Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me

Take it Easy-The Eagles
Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
Such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me

I think it would be humanly impossible not to sing that multiple times while in Winslow! My wife sang along a couple of times but tired of it far sooner than me. The Eagles Greatest Hits album was one of the 1st 5 albums that I purchased as a kid. Pretty much wore that one out.

Back
Top Bottom