British Columbia Travel

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’m thinking of a trip up North to British Columbia. I have about two weeks for this trip. In the past I have visited Vancouver, Victoria and the Sunshine Coast near Vancouver.

I am looking for recommendations for other areas to visit. I M interested in scenic drives, (of course!), nature, and history. I would appreciate recommendations for the various parts of B.C.

This will be a road trip using hotels for overnight stays. Preferably, I would like to stay two to four nights in one town and visit nearby sites . But, if I have to do one and two night stays, I can do that also. I realize BC is a big Provence.

Your suggestions are welcome.

Are you into wineries? There are a good number of wine growing regions, which I was surprised to learn! Later this summer, we are spending time with friends in the Kelowna region, near Banff and Glacier NP (USA). One of the couples spent several weekends there in the years they were stationed at Fort McMurray and have great things to say about it.

You gotta do the Jasper - Lk Louise loop. Assuming this trip is not in the winter. Go across the border at Sumas WA and then maybe take a day at Harrison Hot Springs not far from Hope. Then continue driving on Hwy 5 up to Merritt and Kamloops. Maybe stay at Sun Peaks outside of Kamloops. A super awesome little ski village where I spend half the year. Good in the summer too for lodging, scenery, hiking/biking/fishing/etc and restaurants. Then head to Wells Grey Prov Park. The Waterfall capital of the world. Then on to Jasper. Stay here for a couple of days to explore. Then head south on the Ice Fields Parkway down towards Banff. Unbelievable scenery. Many Glaciers and crazy mountains. Its like Glacier NP in Montana on steroids. You end up at Lake Louise. From there you could jog a little east to Golden. At Golden you have 2 good paths: 1) head south towards ID and hit Radium Hot Springs and then into ID. or 2) head east and then down Okanogan through BC wine country (Kelona, Penticton, Osoyoos) and enter the US in WA. We have done both routes, but personally I vote for route # 2 and the BC wineries; the quality has really matured from the early days (but not as good as Columbia Valley WA).

If you're a trekkie you gotta go to Vulcan. Neat place.

Good advice in this post. Not much to add.

You gotta do the Jasper - Lk Louise loop. Assuming this trip is not in the winter. Go across the border at Sumas WA and then maybe take a day at Harrison Hot Springs not far from Hope. Then continue driving on Hwy 5 up to Merritt and Kamloops. Maybe stay at Sun Peaks outside of Kamloops. A super awesome little ski village where I spend half the year. Good in the summer too for lodging, scenery, hiking/biking/fishing/etc and restaurants. Then head to Wells Grey Prov Park. The Waterfall capital of the world. Then on to Jasper. Stay here for a couple of days to explore. Then head south on the Ice Fields Parkway down towards Banff. Unbelievable scenery. Many Glaciers and crazy mountains. Its like Glacier NP in Montana on steroids. You end up at Lake Louise. From there you could jog a little east to Golden. At Golden you have 2 good paths: 1) head south towards ID and hit Radium Hot Springs and then into ID. or 2) head east and then down Okanogan through BC wine country (Kelona, Penticton, Osoyoos) and enter the US in WA. We have done both routes, but personally I vote for route # 2 and the BC wineries; the quality has really matured from the early days (but not as good as Columbia Valley WA).

Thanks for the advice.

Alas, I have been told by my doctor to limit alcohol consumption so I will probably not do any wine tasting. I know that BC has a thriving wine industry.

I’ve done the Jasper - Banff road years ago and agree it is spectacular. I have heard that it is very crowded these days with reservations needed for some of the most popular walks and hikes. In any case, I will probably avoid it and stick to other sites in BC.

Please keep on with the suggestions. This group is a great source of travel information.

For scenic drives and nature -- road trip to Prince Rupert and take the ferry to Haida Gwaii.

https://outershores.ca/

"We are an award-winning, niche adventure travel company specializing in wildlife and cultural expeditions to Canada’s Haida Gwaii Archipelago, Northern Vancouver Island, Southern Gulf Islands and Salish Sea, and Great Bear Rainforest based from our classic wooden schooner ... "

Great trip!

I’ve done the Jasper - Banff road years ago and agree it is spectacular. I have heard that it is very crowded these days with reservations needed for some of the most popular walks and hikes. In any case, I will probably avoid it and stick to other sites in BC.

Please keep on with the suggestions. This group is a great source of travel information.

Besides, Jasper and Banff are in Alberta.

Vancouver Island is practically a country on its own. Take the ferry over to Victoria (Clipper from Port Angeles in the summer) or Tswaasen in BC south of Vancouver (any time). Explore the city and its classic Victorian style architecture. Butchart Gardens is worth a visit (go early since it gets busy in peak summer). Then head up the north coast to Nanaimo. We have cut down the center towards Ucluelet and Tofino. Very scenic and had an excellent grey whale trip from Tofinio. Or continue up the North coast to Campbell River and beyond. We hear there is excellent Orca viewing up in Robson Bight/Telegraph Cove. It is on our bucket list. We have read that Haida Gwaii and the Great Bear Rainforest is also fantastic. You'll need to push it all the way to the North tip at Port Hardy. I'd take a week to explore along the way from Victoria to Port Hardy and a 2-3 day excursion over to the Haida Gwaii Island (a few tour operators to choose from but I haven't done the detailed research yet). Then work your way back. That's a good 2 week round trip that we hope to do some day. And if you like Crab, Salmon, and Halibut you'll be in heaven.

Lake Moraine is very nice and usually not as crowded as Lake Louise. But it was 10 years ago when we visited.

You said 2 weeks, but what time of year? My wife and I are driving up north on Wed, meeting friends at Whistler for 2 nights. I plan to do at least one day of skiing, if my knee allows it. However, the restaurants are top end there, such as Araxi. There is so much to do, even in the summer. You could continue up the road north all the way up to Prince George or beyond, well worth a shot. When I was in my late teens, some friends and I just did a random road trip. We ended up Kamloops, I am sure all has changed a bit since then.

You said 2 weeks, but what time of year? .

Good question, I should have mentioned that.

Probably June or July. I am a snow wimp and have no wish to deal with it unless I have to do so. I do carry snow-sox in my car when I travel in the mountains, even in the summer.

Good question, I should have mentioned that.

Probably June or July.

Then I think that route would be just fine and you might enjoy Whistler, which has lots of recreation and dining.....Golf there is excellent, but lots of light to moderate hiking and other activities, very scenic....

Then I think that route would be just fine and you might enjoy Whistler, which has lots of recreation and dining.....Golf there is excellent, but lots of light to moderate hiking and other activities, very scenic....

Love Whistler. I was there once 15+ years ago in the summer, but have been going there for last 10 years in the winter (excluding covid years).

It has a great village with lots to do in the surrounding area. It can be a bit pricier, but maybe it's better during the summer?

Peak to Peak could be fun during the summer months.

Counterpoint. I hate Whistler. It's very commercialized and touristy and too apres ski chic.

If you want good hiking and outdoor pursuits in that area try Squamish instead.

Me personally I would either do the undeveloped areas of VI (up the inside passage to Port Hardy) or if you want undeveloped mountain area go up to Rupert through ranch country.

Chuckanut already lives in WA state I think, but I love San Juan Islands plus Victoria/Vancouver Island.

Love Whistler.

Peak to Peak could be fun during the summer months.

The Peak to Peak Gondola is a great ride across. Every tenth cab is a glass bottom for viewing, and worth the trip if your up that way. I will be riding that on Thursday, as it is the best way to go from Whistler ski slopes to Blackcomb!:dance:

Vancouverite here.

Whenever the missus and I think about short road trip (ie weekend/long weekend or even a daytrip), we always say, "North, East, South, or West."

North kind of means Whistler for us but there are different iterations and stops. A simple trip is up to Whistler and back along the Sea to Sky Highway. Amazing views, at least during the first part of the trip. Lots of places to stop like Squamish as mentioned (which kind of has an interesting food and craft brew scene) and other touristy places like Shannon Falls, Britannia Beach/Mines, the Sea to Sky Gondola (which is kind of integrated with some nice trails)/the (Stawamus) Chief, etc.
A different circuit we do is east and then north via Highway 1, turning around at Lilloot, and then back down the Sea to Sky Highway (along Whistler, Pemberton, Squamish, etc). It's a long daytrip. Along Highway 1, you pass by a lot of somewhat interesting small towns, the touristy Hells Gate tram, Lytton which unfortunately burned down due to a fire and hasn't been rebuilt yet and is/was frequently the hottest location in Canada in the summers, etc. You're driving along the mighty Fraser River which is pretty scenic. We've run across mountain goats along the highway a few times.

East for us means the Okanagan/Kelowna and wine country via a long weekend trip. We'll typically start off on Highway 1 and then divert to the Coquihalla Highway in Hope. (Fun fact: Much of Rambo First Blood was filmed here.) Personally, I think the drive from Vancouver to Hope is overall boring with only a few interesting views sprinkled in. Whereas along the Coquihalla, you're heading up into the moutains and then back down into Merritt so the views are kind of nice. In Merritt we'll veer east the rest of the way to Kelowna.
On our return trip, we'll head south, running along Okanagan Lake, though Penticton, and if we have time, all the way down to Osoyoos which has the distinction of being the only desert in BC. We'll then head west back to Hope and onto Vancouver along Highway 3. There are a lot of small towns and quirky towns like Keremeos along the first part, many with cute fruit stands. And then you'll pass through Manning Provincial Park which is a large recreational area with trails, fishing, kayaking, etc.

If you keep heading north at Merritt, you'll reach Kamloops which is a nice city along the Thompson river. We've been able to do a day trip to Kamloops and back to attend fan day for the local professional football team's (BC Lions) training camp. Very long day though.

We've also done all the way east to Alberta along a circuit with stops in Jasper, Edmonton, Calgary (Stampede time in July), and Banff over the course of about a week. Lots of driving of course. There's also a bit of a hotsprings subcircuit if that's your thing.
Watch for speed traps. :LOL:

South means heading to the States for us: Bellingham, Seattle, Outlets, etc of course. Just for our daytrip tolerance context, we've done daytrips to Seattle and that's likely the furthest south we'll go for a daytrip from Vancouver.

West means the Sunshine Coast, Gulf Islands, and Vancouver Island with the added cost of a ferry of course. Beyond the places you've mentioned, we'll do a long/four day weekend trip to Tofino on the west side of Vancouver Island. You take the ferry to Nanaimo mid-island as mentioned. I find the drive a mixed bag. Some parts are interesting: Windy roads, nice views along lakes and forests (eg Cathedral Grove), while other parts are kind of a grind. You pass through Port Alberni which is kind of a resource town that I don't find too interesting. One route passes through Coombs which is another small quirky town with a fun destination-kind of market with "goats on the roof."
Personally, I think it's quite the effort to do a daytrip to Vancouver Island (with the Gulf Islands only slightly less so) because of the added complexity of taking a ferry (or one of the other options like float-plane, downtown-downtown passenger ferry, etc).

Attachments

• lake ohara.jpg
    lake ohara.jpg
    764.6 KB · Views: 3
  • square lake ohara cabin 195k.jpg
    square lake ohara cabin 195k.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 4
We did the Rocky Mountaineer train in 2014. We did one way, Banff to Vancouver, with a one night stopover.They have a variety of one-way or round trip journeys. It allows you to get away from the road and more sight seeing. Plus, you can get up, walk around, get a snack or something to drink, etc. The service was exquisite. They handle the luggage door to door. We went the other way by sightseeing coach. It's a wonderful way to see bald eagles, ospreys, and the terrain, and learn something about what you are seeing. The SilverLeaf service is every bit as good as the much more expensive GoldLeaf service.

I know you are considering a road trip, but this could be part of it. The food was delicious too.

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/

Two Summers ago had a four day bike race near Panorama, Fairmont Hot Springs and Canal Flats. After racing was over extended our road trip north to Jasper. Then back down to Banff before returning to the West Coast through Idaho.

Beautiful country with plenty of outdoor opportunities and jaw dropping scenery around every corner. Thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

Enjoyed it so much last Summer we were planning to go back, but sadly forest fires in B.C. cancelled that trip. :-(

Back
Top Bottom