Shawnee forest/Paducah/Nashville

Momcpa

Recycles dryer sheets
Thinking about taking a driving trip through southern Illinois (Shawnee National Forest), on through Paducah, KY (been there in our younger days on motorcycle trips with friends), and then spend a few days in Nashville, TN (never been there!)

I'd welcome any pointers of what to see (in addition to what we might already have in mind), where to eat and where to stay, what to avoid (too tour-isty !!) Hope to do a little easy hiking on forest trails, re-live some memories in Paducah, and see some new sites in TN, eat some good food, hear some good music.

Planning for the end of September. Thanks for any suggestions !!

I’d stop at mammoth cave np before you get to Nashville. It’s a fun visit. I’d also consider staying overnight in one of the cabins on site. In Nashville we really like mas tacos for lunch. Nothing fancy - actually pretty basic- but really good and cheap. For dinner Rolf and daughters is hard to beat, but not cheap.

In the Shawnee, a bunch of things that our kids thought were real cool and always remember - Will probably have to google them to find them, I don't remember exactly where, it was ~1988 or so:
- Fat Man's Squeeze.
- Garden of the Gods, the Shawnee version.
- Some natural stone arch in a forest that you can climb up via iron hoops to hold onto and step onto.
-Black Slough, in a forest outside of Vienna (pronounced VI-enna). The Black Slough pond is in a woods, trail from parking lot, find a long stick on the way in, the path goes onto docks over the slough. Water is covered in yellow-green tiny pebbles of algae, sweep it aside the water is black as night. Push stick into water, it meets a little resistance, and keeps going down, down, down. Forgot how many feet of vegetable matter is layered up down there.
Vienna is just off of I-24.
oh, here is the Black Slough https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heron_Pond_%E2%80%93_Little_Black_Slough_Nature_Preserve

At the tip of IL, get off of I-57 at I think US 51, drive south, and then drive under and through the levee gate into Cairo IL. (pronounced Karo when well downstate). Drive all the way to the park at the tip, Fort Defiance. Walk down to the water's edge where the mighty Ohio flows into the not-so-mighty-yet Mississippi. The kids really enjoyed it, so did we, see the color difference between the two waters. Barges and towboats often come by, often in long multi-wide strings. Cairo is a very poor town, the park is OK. Long ago, it was thought that Cairo would become the biggest city in IL due to its location. Just up from the park are two road bridges, one to MO., the other to KY. The last time we were in Cairo was probably year 2000 or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other stuff we did. All the Shawnee stuff we did in a early October. Have been to Cairo to go to the tip multiple times over the years, as we were passing by on I-57. One time when we stopped by, both rivers were in flood stage, the park was all under water. The bridge over the Ohio to KY was closed, so we walked out on the bridge to the center of the river. We assumed (heh heh) that the runaway barge that was cross-wise pinned up by the swift current against a bridge support wasn't going to take down the bridge.

Last edited:
I'm a bit biased about the Shawnee National Forest. I live in the eastern half about 5 miles from Garden of the Gods. There are so many cabins to rent if you wanted to spend a few days exploring the trails here.

Google will give you many cabins in the area. There is a unique one down the road from me called Timber Ridge Cabins and Outpost. You can actually rent a tree house cabin there.

As for sights to see, here is a list.
Garden of the Gods
Rim Rock
Pounds Hollow
Iron Furnace
Bell Smith Springs
Burden Falls
Lusk Creek Wilderness

Here is a link to a map made by avid hikers of sights to see here. There is also a facebook page called The Shawnee National Forest if you're a fb user.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...c&ll=37.43649856167988,-89.07469480688474&z=9

You have received lots of great advice for the area already.

I would add that the Land between the lakes area offers some nice Hiking and scenic areas. The drive down the "trace" is a nice diversion from the interstate if you have the time. Depending on your interests, in Paducah the flood wall murals might be worth a visit. There is also a quilt museum in Paducah, that is more interesting than it sounds.

If you have specific questions feel free to get in touch.

Back
Top Bottom