Space encroachment on flights

My flight story could have been awful but to me it was funny in a been there done that way . I was in an aisle seat across from a young couple traveling with two children . A baby about 10 months and a toddler about 3 or 4 . The baby got explosive diarrhea so while the mother was trying to clean the baby and change the diaper which had exploded over her the toddler vomited all over the father . They looked so frazzled . I really felt sorry for them and hoped it was not a connecting flight .

When we don't fly business Ms G and I get adjoining aisle seats. I always get a chuckle when a center seat offers to switch so us lovebirds can sit together. Ms G is a runner with long legs, I get an aisle for the same reason I get up at night a lot.

So we are soon going to fly on KLM , and as I have not flown international before, I have no idea of what to expect.
What plane/airline were you recently on, that had such tight seating ?

OP here. The airline that inspired my post is American. I used to really like them but they told me their newer planes now offer flat beds in business and first class. They made room for that by further reducing space in coach. Several of the nearby passengers were talking about how ridiculously tight the leg room was, even for short people like me. Width must have also been reduced.

If you go to seatguru.com, you can put in the airline and the equipment and it will give you all the statistics on seat width and pitch.
Here is an example for an American flight from LAX to Kona
Seating details Seat map key
Pitch/
Bed Length Width Seating details

First 62/
82.5 21 10 flat bed seats

Business 58/
75-78 18.5-19.5 20 flat bed seats

Pitch Width Seating details
Pitch Width
Main Cabin Extra 35-37 18 36 standard seats

Pitch Width
Economy 31-32 18 36 standard seats

Last edited:
Thanks souschef! I will check this info out before booking my next flight.

I don't know what's wrong with all of you, or it was just plain bad luck, but I never had any bad flight experiences during 35 years of constant business air travel all over the globe.:D

Thanks souschef! I will check this info out before booking my next flight.

I use seatguru.com all the time. You can look up by airline and model. And sometimes airlines fly multiple versions of the same model, but you can usually match the airline seat map and the seatguru seat map to make sure you have the right one.

I don't know what's wrong with all of you, or it was just plain bad luck, but I never had any bad flight experiences during 35 years of constant business air travel all over the globe.

Flying NetJets is pretty sweet!

I don't know what's wrong with all of you, or it was just plain bad luck, but I never had any bad flight experiences during 35 years of constant business air travel all over the globe.:D

Flying NetJets is pretty sweet!

Why are people so reluctant to simply buy a jet and add a pilot to their personal staff?
:cool:

Well, what I tell people is that I should be fine in retirement unless I buy a plane or a boat or marry a gold-digging husband.

I did fly in a private jet on business- just a round trip from KC to Des Moines but yeah, it was sweet!

Well, what I tell people is that I should be fine in retirement unless I buy a plane or a boat or marry a gold-digging husband.

I did fly in a private jet on business- just a round trip from KC to Des Moines but yeah, it was sweet!
Yeah they are.

I was told one day to pack and get to the downtown airport ASAP. We fly on a Lear, KC->Boston in record time. Had to get to a DR. A week later problem is solved, worked like 120 hours and was given a coach ticket back.😂

I used to fly on government planes at 30 minutes' notice. They were air ambulances. The outbound trip had just three passengers. No inflight service. When we arrived at the destination, there was a couple of hours of hard work in a small hospital stabilizing a critically ill patient, whom we then flew back to the intensive care unit in the big city. Some stressful moments occurred. I was not sorry to move on from the transport team!

Tuesday I flew from PA to Turin, Italy. First leg very short, from Harrisburg to Dulles. United-not my favorite as they have no leg room. Seats were typical narrow but ok, as I've lost some weight. Second leg on a Lufthansa 747--very little leg room, and pretty narrow seats. Thank goodness for the multilingual flight attendants. The woman next to me was probably in her 80s, spoke only Arabic, was only a bit overweight but spilled over my seat anyway. I felt like so had to lean into the aisle to avoid rubbing shoulders. She could not buckle her own seatbelt. She kept trying to play with the entertainment console and I hit the Arabic button for her. That was a redeye. So, no sleep for me. The last leg was a Lufthansa regional jet to Turin. I had a window seat that was significantly more comfortable. Funny, the seat was 75% full but they put strangers together and left double seats empty. I couldn't get seat assignments until arrival at the airport.

At least no redeye on the return flight.

I think the window and aisle seat should be barred from using the inner arm rest. On wide planes with mostly inner seats, I think there should be a minimum shoulder space allowance law.

I think the window and aisle seat should be barred from using the inner arm rest. On wide planes with mostly inner seats, I think there should be a minimum shoulder space allowance law.
Great ideas.

Also an addition:
How about if we just measure people shoulder edge to shoulder edge. If they are too wide we tie one arm behind their back.

Great ideas.

Also an addition:
How about if we just measure people shoulder edge to shoulder edge. If they are too wide we tie one arm behind their back.

That won't work for most people. A chainsaw is a much better solution.

Last year I was crammed into a normal Economy seat. I had tried to purchase a 'premium' exit row seat with more leg room, but they were all sold-out. When I glanced at the exit row I noticed that it was occupied by an elderly couple neither of whom could have been taller than 5"4' max.

Gosh, couldn't they leave the exit row for the 6 footers?

All of this could be solved if the airlines stopped trying to squeeze us in so they can make more money, and we stopped looking for the absolutely cheapest flights imaginable. It's good to read about people on this site willing to pay for premium economy and business class. That helps ensure that there will be more of these seats.

Last year I was crammed into a normal Economy seat. I had tried to purchase a 'premium' exit row seat with more leg room, but they were all sold-out. When I glanced at the exit row I noticed that it was occupied by an elderly couple neither of whom could have been taller than 5"4' max.

Gosh, couldn't they leave the exit row for the 6 footers?

All of this could be solved if the airlines stopped trying to squeeze us in so they can make more money, and we stopped looking for the absolutely cheapest flights imaginable. It's good to read about people on this site willing to pay for premium economy and business class. That helps ensure that there will be more of these seats.
I think you are on to something. It is a systemic problem which includes sellers and buyers.

Meanwhile, since I don't take up every inch of my seat space, why can't I rent my "excess" space? :LOL:

Meanwhile, since I don't take up every inch of my seat space, why can't I rent my "excess" space? :LOL:

While your at it, why not give each seat assigned overhead space and if some person needs more they can negotiate with other passengers who don't use all their space. :-O

Each passenger should have a wall instead of the arm rests, going about 1->2 feet from the seat upwards. Sort of like sitting in a toilet stall with short walls.
After all flying is crappy anyhow :D

I sat next to a lady once who fell asleep with her head on my shoulder. I let her be rather than wake her and endure constant chatter for the rest of the flight.

Back
Top Bottom