Tips for first time extended trip

Another dose of reality in Florida. It's a stand your ground gun friendly state. Avoid confrontations or road rage with the locals since a number of them carry their firearms.

Sounds like a great trip.

+1 to the above, especially the clothing. In Florida dress is very casual but one or two warm items will help. On the positive side, any personal items you forget you can buy locally, probably very cheap.

While still at home, you might want to map out a small set of critical locations at your vacation spot. Emergency clinic, grocer, Walmart, take-out restaurant, just in case you have connection issues before settling down.

Scan copies of critical docs to both phones.

Does your rental include WiFi? You’ll be spending a month on public WiFi or someone else’s network, so consider getting a VPN.

If you will be traveling to other areas, like Tampa or Orlando, you might need a SunPass account for tolls.

T-Mobile has prepaid plans with unlimited minutes / data that include options for int’l calls. Do you need a GPS for the drive down? You can plan to stop soon after entering the US to buy phones in a Target or WalMart.

On the positive side, any personal items you forget you can buy locally, probably very cheap.

I'm not worried about forgetting cheap items that I can get anywhere, it's forgetting to take important things or forgetting to do something before I leave.

While still at home, you might want to map out a small set of critical locations at your vacation spot. Emergency clinic, grocer, Walmart, take-out restaurant, just in case you have connection issues before settling down.

We've identified Walmart, grocer, restaurants, etc., on Google Maps but haven't made a paper copy or located emergency services. Thanks for that tip.

Scan copies of critical docs to both phones.

We have photocopies of each other's passport/medical/insurance info but having a copy on smart phones is a good idea.

Does your rental include WiFi?

Yes

T-Mobile has prepaid plans with unlimited minutes / data that include options for int’l calls.

One of my friends suggested T-Mobile. We'll look into them.

Do you need a GPS for the drive down?

My car has navigation but I'll print the route before we leave as backup.

Cricket Wireless has an unlimited minutes and data plan for $60 x phone which includes calls to Canada. Past threads here mentioning them have been uniformly positive. https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

My brother and his DW came down to S Florida for a week. Following year was two weeks. Next year they rented for a month. Now January in S Florida is a basic living requirement. :).

This year they’re in Naples. A one month rental is possible, but it does require a fair amount of research.

Cricket Wireless has an unlimited minutes and data plan for $60 x phone which includes calls to Canada. Past threads here mentioning them have been uniformly positive. https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phone-plans

My brother and his DW came down to S Florida for a week. Following year was two weeks. Next year they rented for a month. Now January in S Florida is a basic living requirement. :).

This year they’re in Naples. A one month rental is possible, but it does require a fair amount of research.

We started researching last year around now for a stay in South FL from Jan-Mar 2019. We gave up, couldn’t find anything even with a realtor helping. Any tips on how to find a place? We are experienced users of VRBO, Airbnb, and HomeAway.

When we go down to Georgia from Toronto every February my first cross border stop is at a Walmart. The T-Mobile plans are good. circa. 30 greenbacks for a month. Lots of voice, text and data.

Be aware that that sticks you with a US cellphone number. Don't know if that would be an issue for you. It isn't for us.

Alternatively, if you are going to be around Wifi a lot, just download and use Whatsapp. The call quality is generally excellent and you can use it at home and anywhere else you travel.

Your car insurance covers you in Florida and for that long in the US, yes ?
FIL had trouble once because his car insurance addon only covered 30 days at a time in the US.

6 weeks of medications if you take any....

You know the "trick" for buying gas at American gas stations with a Canadian credit card, yes ?

When we go down to Georgia from Toronto every February my first cross border stop is at a Walmart. The T-Mobile plans are good. circa. 30 greenbacks for a month. Lots of voice, text and data.

Be aware that that sticks you with a US cellphone number. Don't know if that would be an issue for you. It isn't for us.

Alternatively, if you are going to be around Wifi a lot, just download and use Whatsapp. The call quality is generally excellent and you can use it at home and anywhere else you travel.

One of my friends suggested WhatsApp yesterday...I looked into it and will probably use that instead of getting a phone plan since I'll have internet access and rarely talk on the phone. Also, most of my friends know I'll be out of the country and won't call. My girlfriend will do the same, plus she can still do Facetime with her daughter via internet.

Your car insurance covers you in Florida and for that long in the US, yes ?
FIL had trouble once because his car insurance addon only covered 30 days at a time in the US.

I'm covered for the entire length of my stay, but have decided to increase my 3rd party liability coverage.

6 weeks of medications if you take any....

Thankfully, I have no need for any meds yet. :)

You know the "trick" for buying gas at American gas stations with a Canadian credit card, yes ?

I know the trick but have never used it...I just go inside to pay.

The most important thing to bring with you hasn't been mentioned: an open mind. This can make leaving some other "important" thing that was forgotten practically meaningless.

We started researching last year around now for a stay in South FL from Jan-Mar 2019. We gave up, couldn’t find anything even with a realtor helping. Any tips on how to find a place? We are experienced users of VRBO, Airbnb, and HomeAway.
My sister in law is the one with the smarts for finding the places to stay. I’ll ask her and report back. One thing I know for sure is she is arranging their stay for next January now.

May not be beachfront but did you want to consider short term housing hotels. The business travelers or IT employees in long term assignments stay there. I am sure there are quite a few in South Florida. One national hotel chain is Extended Stay America.

If your cell phones are unlocked and GSM you can use this for free calls and text's to Canada:
https://www.mintmobile.com/

Mint is good for unlimited calls and text in the USA and for making calls from USA to Canada at no extra charge.

OP - you might want to turn off your water to the house, and lower temp a bit to save on heating, but no lower than 55.

If you like seafood, on west side of PCB, the Red Bar off 30A is good. In PCB, Captain Anderson's around 4:30pm for dinner with a window seat near the fishing boats is fun.

I wouldn't be taking the snow tires off. Your return in March through snow country may require them still. In PA, it has snowed in April before.

I wouldn't be taking the snow tires off. Your return in March through snow country may require them still. In PA, it has snowed in April before.

I weighed the pros and cons and decided not to put that many summer miles on the winter tires as they're softer rubber and will wear very quickly. The all-seasons are only a year old and I'll just be more cautious until I reach warmer and dryer pavement.

Many folks I know who live up North can do fine with all season tires. Only guys I know with winter tires are from MA and northward bound. You are right on winter tires when it's not winter. Takes a beating. I remember the old days when people used to drive with chains on their tires during snow season. If you have a blowout with a winter tire in Florida you may have a problem trying to get it replaced.

I read somewhere that today's all-season tires outperform winter tires from years past. Of course, today's winter tires are tremendous.

I remember the old days when people used to drive with chains on their tires during snow season.

OMG..were they the old days? Now I feel really ancient. :LOL:

My sister in law is the one with the smarts for finding the places to stay. I’ll ask her and report back. One thing I know for sure is she is arranging their stay for next January now.

Thanks!

May not be beachfront but did you want to consider short term housing hotels. The business travelers or IT employees in long term assignments stay there. I am sure there are quite a few in South Florida. One national hotel chain is Extended Stay America.

I didn’t as I assumed these would be expensive but I’ll check it out, thanks.

I read somewhere that today's all-season tires outperform winter tires from years past. Of course, today's winter tires are tremendous.

I cut the difference and got the new "All Weather" tires. They're starting to get more popular here after originating in northern Europe. They have the snowflake symbol so I get the insurance discount.

They are great in the snow and about the same as All Seasons in the summer. Only difference I have noticed is in cornering speeed. Also warrantied to 80K/km.

Don’t plan everything down to the last day. Keep in mind that for many, including us, spontaneous travel is one of the joys of extended travel.

Back
Top Bottom