Total Eclipse Chile/Argentina in 2019

jetpack

Recycles dryer sheets
I didn't get to see the total eclipse this year, but based on reports here and elsewhere, I definitely want to see one! So, I'm starting to plan for the trip in 2019. Buenos Aires is on my bucket list anyway, and it looks like it's right near there. On the Pacific side, looks like a nice beach town is in the cross hairs.
It's scheduled for July 2nd. Which hopefully isn't the worst time to be there.
Anyone else thinking about going? Anyone with experience travelling in Chile/Argentina? I'd certainly like to combine this with a longer stay, say 3 weeks or so!

I assume you like protein?
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 9.16.15 AM.png

That area (known as the Southern Cone) is a very beautiful part of the world and I think you'll find the people are not only friendly but warm and hospitable to visitors. You should enjoy it in many ways.

+1 @Braumeister

Buenos Aires and Santiago are beautiful cities, the people are very nice, and the food excellent. Never had a bad visit or meal in either city. As mystang52 pointed out, it is winter there. Not terribly cold, but you still need winter clothes.

I fear the cloud cover that time of year on the coasts. So, if I make the trip, I will likely head to the interior of Argentina, probably to a small winery. If I remember correctly, that area gets more sun in the winter than the coasts.

ER.org meetup?

Viewing the eclipse from a little winery in Argentina sounds like heaven to me. The only downside would be the much shorter eclipse duration there, around 2m15s. But in terms of the uniqueness of the experience... wow!

One thing I'd have to figure out is how to survive without eating beef in that corner of the world. Like braumeister said, I've heard that beef is ubiquitous and hard to avoid in Argentina, so it might be challenging for someone like me who never touches red meat.

No problem if you like seafood.
Yup. Look In addition, Italian food in Buenos Aires is abundant and excellent - a reflection of the impact and significance of Italian immigration.

I want in! Argentina has some excellent wines!

Maybe not...State department warning Chile:
emonstrations occur frequently, especially on March 29, May 1 and 21, and September 11. Although most are peaceful, they can become violent. Avoid demonstrations if possible. Strikes are also common and can cause significant travel delays, especially if you are traveling to remote areas, such as Easter Island, Punta Arenas, and Chiloe.

Anarchist groups have placed explosive and incendiary devices in public spaces, such as ATMs, metro stations, and government facilities, throughout Santiago. Remain vigilant and avoid suspicious or unattended packages.

Araucanía Conflict: Some elements of and parties claiming affiliation with the Mapuche indigenous community have sought redress for grievances by burning churches, homes, and pastures, and attacking trucks, buses, and farming/logging equipment, causing property destruction, injuries, and deaths. While they have mainly targeted forestry corporations and landowners, you should exercise caution in the Araucanía region.

Crime: While the security environment is generally safe, street crime, carjackings, telephone scams, and residential break-ins are common, especially in Santiago, Valparaiso, Antofagasta, Calama, and Iquique. Exercise caution when touring Cerro Santa Lucia, Cerro San Cristobal, Mercado Central, Plaza de Armas, Bellavista, and Barrio Lastarria in Santiago, or other popular tourist sites as pick-pocketing and muggings occur frequently. Vehicle thefts are a serious problem in Valparaiso and northern Chile (from Iquique to Arica).

Argentina:
"Express kidnappings" also occur, where victims are grabbed and forced to take out as much money as possible from ATMs. Family or co-workers are contacted and told to bring all the cash they have on hand or can gather in a couple of hours. Once the ransom is paid, the victim is usually released unharmed. There have been some foreign victims of express kidnappings. Fake telephone kidnappings are very common. Learning important phone numbers and, if robbed, immediately finding a phone and letting family members know you are alright are important in stopping this crime.
:(

Well, I love Beef & Wine, so looks like the country for me.
The exchange rate is looking pretty good too.
A lot can change in 2 years though, hopefully the stability of
the countries improve.

Today is my last day of my eclipse tour with TravelQuest. It's been very good as they specialize in eclipse travel. In fact I've been sitting next to the owner most of the trip. He's planning a trip to Chile and Peru (not on the website yet) as well as a South Pacific cruise. I'm seriously considering it. He has some very high powered people helping with the astronomical aspect as well as meteorological (they are the names you've seen quoted in many of the books and articles leading up to this last eclipse).

So I can recommend these folks.

https://www.travelquesttours.com/all-tours/

I fear the cloud cover that time of year on the coasts. So, if I make the trip, I will likely head to the interior of Argentina, probably to a small winery. If I remember correctly, that area gets more sun in the winter than the coasts.

ER.org meetup?

I am thinking of going. I saw totality in Illinois and wouldn't mind seeing it again. Your interior point is worth considering.:dance:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom