Train Travel in these times

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am curious if anybody has traveled long distance by train in these times?

Years ago we would take a train trip with the kids to visit grandma and grandpa. It was one night on the train. Cell phones did not exist, so it was two days of being disconnected from distractions. The kids enjoyed the wide aisles and the movie and treats in the club car. We all enjoyed dinner and breakfast in the dining car. And the view as we crossed a mountain range and traveled past water and farms were very nice. For one night we simply slept in the coach car on this big, wide seats.

How is train travel today? Has anybody did an overnight trip on Amtrak or one of the private train companies in the past few years? How about Canadian train service?

This finance blogger published two well-written articles about his Amtrack trip in 2018. Not sure if this is recent enough to address the question.

https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/what-i-learned-from-an-epic-7000-mile-train-journey/
https://www.theretirementmanifesto.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-cross-country-train-travel/

My wife and I had planned to take Amtrack from New York to Florida to try out the experience two years ago, but canceled the trip after the pandemic began. We still want to do the train trip once we feel more comfortable about it.

This finance blogger published two well-written articles about his Amtrack trip in 2018. Not sure if this is recent enough to address the question.

Thanks.

I am wondering about train traveling in these Covid times. While I am hoping we have seen the last of the worst spikes, I think it would be naive to believe Covid will go away soon, never to return. IMHO, Even if endimic, it will have a strong presence for at least several more years. That would still affect travel including travel on passenger trains.

I have not taken a train during Covid times but this still may be relevant to you. I took an overnight trip down to SC to view the eclipse a few years ago, and returned on another overnight. From previous fairly recent long day trips I thought the coach seats would be fine to sleep in. On the way down I was kept up most of the night by a couple across the aisle having a conversation. Normal volume, but that's pretty loud when you have to realize everyone else is trying to sleep. On the return, at 4 or 5am the guy behind me was pretty loudly talking on his phone to someone about mowing the yard, or something mundane like that. Taking the train was genius as other people I talked to who drove were stuck in heavy traffic, but I really regretted not getting a roomette. One was available at booking but full by travel day, as was the whole train due to the eclipse.

I think a roomette or some kind of suite would give you much better isolation from other passengers so you could shut your door and probably not need to wear a mask. I'd look into how air is circulated and filtered on the train first though.

Thanks.

I am wondering about train traveling in these Covid times. While I am hoping we have seen the last of the worst spikes, I think it would be naive to believe Covid will go away soon, never to return. IMHO, Even if endimic, it will have a strong presence for at least several more years. That would still affect travel including travel on passenger trains.

I've seen a couple recent you tube videos about current Amtrak long distance trips.

A long distance Amtrak trip is something we have explored in the past. Alas, the last few years put it on hold. Still part of our bucket list.
Those articles were very informative. Thanks for posting them

I think a roomette or some kind of suite would give you much better isolation from other passengers so you could shut your door and probably not need to wear a mask. I'd look into how air is circulated and filtered on the train first though.

We did a roomette prior to Covid from NY to Chicago overnight.

It was nice to have the quiet and dining car priority.

A big surprise to us, was the rocking of the train from side to side was very noticeable when in the beds. The upper bunk had a web fence to make sure I didn't fly out during the night.

I also now with Covid, wonder about the air circulation as the windows don't open.

I would not recommend the upper berth of a roomette for someone with claustrophobia.

We did a 3hr trip from Montreal to Quebec city on ViaRail last December. Had to be vaccinated to board and wear a mask unless actively eating. Felt the trip was fine and would do it again. Wifi aboard kept things interesting when the scenery wasn't compelling. Food options onboard were limited but we bought snacks before the trip. Staff were pretty friendly.

I don't mind train travel and would love a high speed option from Vancouver to Portland. But my complaint is that we've encountered issues a few time impacting our journeys from protest blockades, strikes, and debris on the tracks/lines.
And the missus won't do an overnighter again unless absolutely necessary because she can't sleep well due to the rocking and is a wreck the next day based on a couple of overnighters in Europe and Vietnam in the past.

We took this luxury train ride while visiting Peru. We traveled for a few hours. Spent the evening on the train not moving. Early the next morning, the train took us on a few mile ride to our destination. https://www.belmond.com/trains/south-america/peru/belmond-andean-explorer/

Great food. Amazing accommodations. Great hosts. We barely spoke to another guest that told us it was their first trip on a luxury train. It was for us. Bring the credit card that provides the best cash back. Having said that, it was nice to be pampered.

In two weeks, I'm taking Amtrak from Chicago to Sacramento. I booked a roomette. Last time I've done long distance train travel, I shared a roomette with a friend but that was far too cramped. It is perfect for one person IMO. I'm looking forward to the trip and the sights from the observation car!

What would be the cost difference between train and plane? Since one would be more comfortable and the other faster I would be interested in what the trade off would be.

Cheers!

Last year I took two overnight train trips on Amtrak. All was good. I had a roommette on both trips and wore my mask as required. I have another train trip scheduled for next month. Even before covid I carried my own cleaning wipes and hand sanitizer. I'm fine with train travel.

We took this luxury train ride while visiting Peru. We traveled for a few hours. Spent the evening on the train not moving. Early the next morning, the train took us on a few mile ride to our destination. https://www.belmond.com/trains/south-america/peru/belmond-andean-explorer/

Great food. Amazing accommodations. Great hosts. We barely spoke to another guest that told us it was their first trip on a luxury train. It was for us. Bring the credit card that provides the best cash back. Having said that, it was nice to be pampered.

Can you provide some more details, it looks interesting.
Did you do just the one night trip ?
What was the cost and how did they price it, as in 1 price all inclusive, or you paid for each meal and drink plus the travel on train ?

What would be the cost difference between train and plane? Since one would be more comfortable and the other faster I would be interested in what the trade off would be.

Cheers!

You made me look for May 9th, and the price was close when picking a seat on the train, but since it takes 59 hours, one has to buy meals, so the train cost is a bit higher.

If you want a roomette, that adds $350 to the train ticket, but when we did it, the meals were included with the roomette, so the train turns out to be 2.1 times more expensive.

$569 train vs $269 for the plane.

Train has advantage of no extra charge for luggage (up to a limit) and get to see the scenery.

I paid $555.00 for the trip from Chicago to Sacramento on Amtrak. That's a roomette for two nights and 3 days of all meals included. That's about the lowest price offered for that trip. The price rises as you get closer to the trip, so best to book in advance.

Can you provide some more details, it looks interesting.
Did you do just the one night trip ?
What was the cost and how did they price it, as in 1 price all inclusive, or you paid for each meal and drink plus the travel on train ?

It was one of the best vacations we took. Our Peru vacation included the Secret Valley to climatize and see the sites. We hiked the Inca Trail. Most people bus to Machu Piccu.

When we completed our hike, we took a bus to Puno to enjoy Lake Titicata. The bus was no more than $50 a piece with a great tour guide. This was a great and positive surprise. We thought we were just taking a bus.

Now the train. Before we left, a friend said to schedule the train. The train goes one way, each or certain days. You will need to check the schedule. It is a few hour ride. When we scheduled, only the return was open for our trip. We seem to remember $500 to $600 each for the overnight stay. We also seem to remember, less than 1/2 that for going to Lake T. You will need to check what the train to Lake T includes beyond the train ride

The length of the trip is just a few hours. But when they return to Cusco, they stop just outside of town where you sleep for the night.
Each car is divided into 3 or 4 sleeping rooms which are nearly as wide as the car. Queen size bed, full bathroom, and plenty of room. Dinner was appetizers, drinks, etc. All well done. Breakfast another great meal but not as memorable. If memory serves, the train ride in the morning is 30 minutes or less.

I am frugal like many on this site. It was not something I would purchase every trip but after the Machu Picchu hike it felt well deserved. Yes, it is one price, like a cruise. Dinner, drinks, and the other passengers were great fun to get to know. They gave us a nice small duffel bag as a gift.

I hope this helps. I have some pics but need to get going and do not know exactly how to do upload. If you think you want to see them, let me know and I will try later, if I can.

Last edited:
One of the things I've heard is not to take the train if you expect to be on a schedule. Apparently there are many ways any given leg of the trip can be delayed, and it happens a lot.

Do any of you with first-hand experience know if that's true?

Recent Amtrak experience:

younger son took train from San Diego to San Jose in late December. Picked up covid. The train was super crowded from LA to San Jose - standing room only for part of the time. (He had a seat.) Fortunately, he was double vaxed and had gotten his booster a few days before the trip - so his covid was mild. Unfortunately, he spread it to his girlfriend, her twin brother, and his friend who was also a houseguest. (Her parents didn't get it.)

He took the train from San Luis Obispo to San Diego a week and a half ago. No incident, no covid. No problem getting a seat since SLO was the first stop of the southbound surfliner.

As a family we did a nine week vacation in Europe by train in 2015. We did couchette's from Sicily to Milan. Since we were a family of four - we had the whole room. Set it up with bench seats during daylight, then put the bunks up at night. On that same 9 week trip we did high speed trains in France and Germany, took the train through the chunnel, and took local trains along the french riviera to try out different beaches.

I like trains.

I paid $555.00 for the trip from Chicago to Sacramento on Amtrak. That's a roomette for two nights and 3 days of all meals included. That's about the lowest price offered for that trip. The price rises as you get closer to the trip, so best to book in advance.

I'm wondering.
Does the train stop anywhere, so you can get off for a few hours or is it a solid 2+ days on the train ?

It was one of the best vacations we took. Our Peru vacation included the Secret Valley to climatize and see the sites..........
I haven't heard of the Secret Valley, but I guess that is why it is a secret. I did tour the Sacred Valley when I was there.

I'm wondering.
Does the train stop anywhere, so you can get off for a few hours or is it a solid 2+ days on the train ?
I think if you ride in a boxcar you can get on and off whenever it slows down.

As a full-fledged geezer, I no longer enjoy open seating, waiting in lines, impossible parking, intrusion into my personal space, etc. Therefore we seldom attend concerts, plays, etc., that don't have reserved seating. We seldom go to restaurants that aren't pretty good about honoring reservations. And those kind of things........

What would it be like for us on a long train trip? Friends told us they had an issue with availability of seats in the observation car because folks left jackets on seats unofficially holding them for themselves. And that it was tough to get seating in the dining car. And some other issues.

We think we'd like to take a train to the west coast, tour out there for a few days and then fly home. But we don't want the train portion of the trip to be something where we'd have to be aggressive and clever in order to avail ourselves of the amenities.

Any ideas about this?

We have a train that comes within 100 miles of us. But I have no desire to go where the train goes to and from.

We use the trains when traveling from city to city in Europe--maximum 4 hours. Any farther and we used budget European airlines.

The last long train trip we were on was from Barcelona to Paris--650 miles in 6.5 hours with a top speed of 185 mph just outside of Paris. The U.S. cities are just too far apart for such a train, and building a superfast line in the U.S. just costs too much where there are enough people to use such a train.

Back
Top Bottom