Travel and Volunteering

Lagniappe

Recycles dryer sheets
Does anyone have any experience with volunteer travel?

I'd like to spend several weeks/months getting to know some of the places I visit, and thought volunteering and doing some good locally would be a great way to immerse myself in a region, and get to know some locals.

Most of what comes up when I google this topic is paid, short stay, highly structured and generally set up for college students.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience with volunteer travel?

I'd like to spend several weeks/months getting to know some of the places I visit, and thought volunteering and doing some good locally would be a great way to immerse myself in a region, and get to know some locals.

Most of what comes up when I google this topic is paid, short stay, highly structured and generally set up for college students.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Always like to throw in a pitch for these folks:

Earthwatch Worldwide - Earthwatch

I am interested in helping local businesses get started and run more successfully. Also more than willing to teach, count turtle eggs, or help in clinics if that is what is needed.

A couple at church go to various places in the US. They have, put up a fence, fixed plumbing issues, rebuilt walls, got some sight seeing in.
Helping small business; do you have any interest in South Georgia? My son just started a small business there. Hope you find something.

Always like to throw in a pitch for these folks:

Earthwatch Worldwide - Earthwatch

+1. I have done 5 trips with them

Brazil Pantanal
St. Croix leatherback sea turtles
Kenya Black Rhinos
Brazil Giant River Otters
Costa Rica Howler / Capuchin monkeys

Many adventures, good company, well organized, tax deductible

I can't help you with what you want, but...

I did this in college with Students Today Leaders Forever on their Pay It Forward Tours. Participated in 1 tour and led another and they were some of the single best memories from college. Every March my wife and I get nostalgic and sad that we can't go on another PIF Tour.

If you have any family members in HS or college, I highly recommend they check a tour out.

Students Today Leaders Forever | Home Page

There is an outfit that brings water purifiers to places like backwoods Peru. It may be the outfit that Sarah from NC works with.

I do water.

Maybe someday?

+1. I have done 5 trips with them

Brazil Pantanal
St. Croix leatherback sea turtles
Kenya Black Rhinos
Brazil Giant River Otters
Costa Rica Howler / Capuchin monkeys

Many adventures, good company, well organized, tax deductible

I did that one. Have I met you? :)

Did I borrow your flashlight when mine died?

On a serious note, I was there in the summer of 2002, I don't think we were there at the same time.

You're right, June of '93.

Same turtles, though. We had one with just stubs for rear feet. She went through the mechanical digging motions to bury her eggs, but with no feet there was no hole. We dug a hole for her with our hands.

Same turtles, though. We had one with just stubs for rear feet. She went through the mechanical digging motions to bury her eggs, but with no feet there was no hole. We dug a hole for her with our hands.

I think I remember that one.

Back
Top Bottom