Travel hopes 2021

The rumor mill has been running overtime lately, and it looks good for the Canada-USA border to reopen fairly soon.

https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/us-lifts-do-not-travel-warning-for-canada-mexico-much-of-europe/144062.article

What we are hearing up here in the Great White North, is that restrictions will be slowly lifted. The 14 day quarantine would be waived for travellers who are fully vaccinated who can show a negative test, so if the USA reciprocates, that will mean paying for a negative test going in and a negative test coming back. That extra cost would definitely reduce day trippers. We shall see what the official announcements are soon.:confused:

What we are hearing up here in the Great White North, is that restrictions will be slowly lifted. The 14 day quarantine would be waived for travellers who are fully vaccinated who can show a negative test, so if the USA reciprocates, that will mean paying for a negative test going in and a negative test coming back. That extra cost would definitely reduce day trippers. We shall see what the official announcements are soon.:confused:

I wonder if the travel restrictions have brought down Banff hotel prices.

I looked into visiting there that one summer on the 150th anniversary of the country, when the national parks were free that year.

Sticker shock on the prices. So I went to Switzerland instead, to get better value.

That's saying something.

Well so far the EU countries allowing US tourists are Iceland, Croatia and Greece.

Soon Spain and France.

After July 19 Iceland. Also heard Denmark may open up.

Surprising Italy isn't there yet.

Apparently if you come on a specific flights where everyone tests before getting on the flight - and everyone tests when they get off... Then you don't need to quarantine.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/travelling-to-italy-this-summer-amid-covid-what-you-need-to-know-before-booking-a-trip/

‘Covid-tested’ flights are flights that have been approved by the Ministry of Health, between Italy and countries for which there is still an entry ban in place. For a person to be able to board one of these flights, they are required to provide a negative test result, not older than 48 hours to the carrier, fill in a self-declaration and passenger locator form, and undergo a second test upon arrival at the airport.

Leisure travel will now be allowed from the US, provided that the travellers arrive by one of the ‘Covid-tested’ flights approved by the government. Currently, only Alitalia and Delta run these flights.

Flights are currently operating on the following routes:

New York – Rome Fiumicino
Atlanta – Rome Fiumicino
New York – Milan Malpensa
Atlanta – Milan Malpensa
‘Covid-tested’ flights are also operating from three other countries, including Canada, Japan, and United Arb Emirates.

Yeah I heard about those covid-tested flights.

Sounds like a lot of hoops to jump through when you can go to Italy, Spain or Greece without so many hoops.

There are reports that some of those flights are less than half full.

We will see if the airlines expand those flights or cut them back if the load factors are poor.

Good thing I didn't pull the trigger and buy the business class tickets to Europe for August. These governments are totally inconsiderate to international travelers who need to plan ahead.

British Airways has put thousands of staff back on the government furlough scheme following delays to the reopening of international travel. The flag-carrier had begun to bring people back ahead of the easing of restrictions on foreign holidays on May 17th.
However, a decision to remove Portugal from the safe travel list, essentially closed outbound travel for the foreseeable future. Only a small number of countries remain on the green list, including St Helena and Gibraltar, meaning travelers do not have to quarantine on their return.

https://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/article/british-airways-returns-staff-to-furlough-scheme/

Yup. Given that I must decide upon cancellation of my TMB trip in Europe within the next 2 weeks, I think I’ve all but given up on it. Governments are just too slow to recognize the success of the vaccines. Hopefully some day.

Well I'm flying a week from Monday. Booked some hotels, got to finish booking.

Got to find a PCR test right before departure.

Another cruise ship has Covid-19.
Celebrity Millennium reports 2 passengers tested positive.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/two-passengers-celebrity-millennium-100-223310645.html

I do have to wonder, if non-vaccinated folks will think a "vaccinated only" cruise is really safe and go on it with a fake vaccination card.
It makes sense it would be safe, unless a bunch of non-vaccinated folks think the same thing :facepalm:

That is one reason why we have zero interest in booking any cruise.

The issue for us is that we can make our final payment ninety days prior to sailing. During that time anything can happen.

We do not want to be restricted to cruise line tours, some ports may change or be cancelled. The cruise contract protects the cruise line, not the customer.

Apart from that we do not think covid is over. This has a ways to go yet. North Americans should not make the assumption that because things are better here that they will be better some where else. Same with any covid health and safety requirements/precautions imposed by those countries on visitors.

I think Covid showed us how helpless we are when we are "stuck" anyplace which is not home soil. Even home soil has changed quite bit due to Covid, but the theoretical protections remain - even if it becomes difficult to claim them. Does that mean we should stay home? No, but one needs to know her/his limitations. I recall interviews with desperate people who could not escape what they viewed as a virtual prison. Some folks could take it in stride. Others were basket cases.

Traveler, know thyself.

Not looking for a food fight because I realize YMMV and not suggesting anything but the last line.

Switzerland opening up to North American tourists that are vaccinated starting the 28th of June. All the bargain business class tickets are gone.

https://www.travelpulse.com/news/de...ts-borders-to-vaccinated-north-americans.html

My understanding is, the official decision is still to be made June 23 and isn’t guaranteed.

That said, I bought a ticket for Switzerland. It wasn’t the lowest price but better than it is now if you try to buy any fare, business or coach.

Agree, Switzerland hasn't officially decided this yet. Not sure how these online articles can screw things up so badly. I also recently purchased my tickets for mid September. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Agree, Switzerland hasn't officially decided this yet. Not sure how these online articles can screw things up so badly.
It seems that journalism standards have gone down dramatically and it makes me sad. I get the impression that most news sources have an agenda, not only in how they report but what they choose to report, and unfortunately you cannot trust most journalism anymore.

That article is published by travelpulse.com and they clearly have an interest in opening up travel, so they are reporting something that may become official, but it's not yet. They wrote...

The Swiss government has announced it will be welcoming fully vaccinated North American guests again as of June 28, 2021. That includes a full opening of tourist infrastructures, including restaurants, events and leisure facilities.

What they failed to report is that this proposal is subject to final ratification by the parliament on June 23. It may be likely to be approved, but at least tell us that, give us the facts, don't present a proposal or recommendation as an official announcement. The reporter wrote "the law will be ratified on June 23." Um, no, it's not a law until it is passed by the parliament.

http://www.ttnworldwide.com/Article/321147/Switzerland-ready-to-welcome-vaccinated-guests-from-GCC

Last edited:
Tried to book 3 trips to various areas in the country; various times. Air fare relatively cheap, but available seats, plenty of hotel, motel, and VRBO rooms to stay, absolutely NO rental cars to get to any of these places once you land.

If you really want to go, look at turo.com for rental cars. Kind of an AirBnB for cars. It will certainly be more expensive than the majors, but it could serve your needs.

On Thursday of this coming week, I (and 2 life-long friends) fly from Cleveland to San Jose, CA to visit Sequoia-Kings Canyon and Yosemite National Parks. We will be spending 3 nights in lodge rooms at Sequoia-Kings Canyon and then 5 nights in a tent cabin in Curry Village in Yosemite Valley. We had this trip all booked for June of 2020, but cancelled due to COVID. So I re-booked it way back then on the hope we could do it this June. So here we are. All 3 are vaccinated and ready to explore.

It sounds like we will arrive to find "excessive heat". I see Yosemite Valley highs of 105 degrees expected next Friday. Ugh. I guess we'll just take our hikes really slow and drink lots of water.

Gotta be nimble these days.

I think I already posted that I moved my E. Europe trip scheduled for June 26 to next year; I was flying through LHR both ways and the quarantine rules in the UK looked too fluid. I had high hopes for my Belize/Guatemala trip on UnCruise in October and last week I got a note that the COVID situation in Belize was grim and I could wait and see or switch to another itinerary. They've been sailing within Alaska since early May (US-chartered ships, typically 75 passengers, so not subject to the no-sail orders or any Canadian laws). I'm booked for Alaska in 2 months. I've taken them in Alaska before and loved it; this will be a different itinerary. All passengers and crew must be vaccinated and must have a negative COVID-19 test within 4 days of boarding.

I hope this happens!

Glad to know UnCruise is getting going. Maybe we’ll do an Alaska cruise with them. Unfortunately due to family/estate obligations we are unable to make travel plans this summer/fall.

I figure it’s going to be a while before we venture to Central and South America.

I have been carefully following Covid cases and vaccinations not just in the USA and Canada but world wide. It's a good time to be cautious, IMO.

(First, congratulations to Canada which got its vaccination act together and is doing a great job at this time.)

While the vaccination rate in the USA is good, there is the possibility of hot spots this Winter. I'm not changing any plans yet, but I will continue to avoid booking non-refundable reservations. The hot-spots will be telling. If they are few and don't last long, that would indicated plenty of immunity in our population (vaccine and past Covid sufferers). If they are numerous and hang on for long periods of time, herd immunity isn't quite there yet. Time will tell.

World wide is another story. Too many people in too many countries are not vaccinated and won't be for several more years. Places like Taiwan and Vietnam which were exemplary earlier are now getting hit. Some countries have used vaccines from China that are not as good as those we have in Western countries. So, there could be problem in those countries. They will be interesting to watch. So far the variants are not a major issue for the fully vaccinated, but the Delta variant has taken a small bite out of the efficacy of the powerful mRNA vaccines. Time will tell.

In any event, the rental car market has limited me to road trips for now using my own vehicle, and that isn't so bad.

For the next 2-3 months the Starship will be in Space Dock getting some much needed maintenance done while the crew enjoys Summer staycation on a nearby pleasure planet. Fighting Summer crowds is often worse than tangling with those nasty Romulans and idiotic Ferengi.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nation...sing-their-gates-11623582002?mod=hp_lead_pos8

But visitors are increasingly spending more time sitting in their cars as they wait to access the vast outdoors.
“Anywhere you go, there’s going to be a line,” said Libby Preslock, who on a recent Thursday arrived at Arches National Park at 9 a.m. only to find that it was full and signs encouraged visitors to come back in three to five hours. She then headed to the area’s other national park, Canyonlands, where she waited about half an hour to get inside.

And 100+ degrees in Yosemite Valley later this week?!?!?! Can I stand underneath a waterfall?

Last edited:
"It sounds like we will arrive to find "excessive heat". I see Yosemite Valley highs of 105 degrees expected next Friday. Ugh. I guess we'll just take our hikes really slow and drink lots of water"

Yep, we're just now starting a heat wave around here. Although it'll be hot, you won't see any 100+ degree weather in Yosemite Valley itself, only in the foothill's driving up. Mid 90's is still pretty warm though, at least we don't have the humidity issues as the east coast does. Enjoy the trip!

"It sounds like we will arrive to find "excessive heat". I see Yosemite Valley highs of 105 degrees expected next Friday. Ugh. I guess we'll just take our hikes really slow and drink lots of water"

Yep, we're just now starting a heat wave around here. Although it'll be hot, you won't see any 100+ degree weather in Yosemite Valley itself, only in the foothill's driving up. Mid 90's is still pretty warm though, at least we don't have the humidity issues as the east coast does. Enjoy the trip!

So I shouldn't believe the temperatures I see here on the page that the Yosemite National Park website says is for "Yosemite Valley"? It says "extended forecast for Yosemite Valley".

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-119.61292&lat=37.73639#.YMYsP_KSmXJ

We hold tickets for Europe for early August . Our German friends seem to think things are about to open in the entire EU. Typical EU argue a lot but get it done at the last minute.

Tried to book 3 trips to various areas in the country; various times. Air fare relatively cheap, but available seats, plenty of hotel, motel, and VRBO rooms to stay, absolutely NO rental cars to get to any of these places once you land.

While we prefer to rent cars for long driving trips less than 2 weeks, we're thinking of getting a rental car here (SF Bay Area), dropping it off at the end and flying home. Not anxious to do that much driving and we'll see how that plays out. Our concern is that even if we can reserve a rental car at our destination, will it be there waiting for us?

Back
Top Bottom