Travel hopes 2021

Nemo2

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Playing around....looking at Fall 2021 (if I'm still around I'll be 79, but hey....)

'Plan' is in reverse order, written very lightly in pencil, (based on ship arrival date, (IF ship travel is viable by that time)), so start date (Toronto to Warsaw) is as yet 'undetermined':

Fall 2021 - reverse order:

Arrive Baltimore 8am on Sun Nov 14
Lufthansa or Alaskan $100 Departs at 5:15pm non-stop to Toronto (Nov 2020 price)

-Sunday, October 31 - departs Barcelona 05:00 p.m. Fast Deal #11899 Barcelona to Baltimore $903 Cdn p.p. (Aug 23/20) Carnival 'Legend'

- October 30 Warsaw to Barcelona fly

- Przemysl to Warsaw approx 6 1/2 hours

- Lviv to Przemysl (bus) overnight or two nights

- stay in Lviv - numerous day/overnight trips (Mukacheve, Chernivtsi, Ivano-Frankivsk, Drohobych, Cluj-Napoca (Romania)

- Vilnius to Lviv

- Stay in Vilnius (day/overnight trips, Kaunas, etc)

- Fly Warsaw to Vilnius

- Day/overnight trip(s) (Lidzbark, etc) from Warsaw

- Fly TAP Toronto to Warsaw

Last edited:
Looks like a wonderful trip!

Everything we planned this year has tentatively moved to approximately same dates next year.
Fingers crossed it all works out.

No international for me but am hoping to go to Florida in the winter and Yellowstone in June or July

Good luck to everyone with their travel plans.
We normally go to Europe every year, but have written it off for this year and next. Hoping for an Alaska trip in 2021 though.

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 11.34.43 AM.png

With hopes for a vaccine by the end of the year, we have booked a trip to Kauai for March. Using BA miles, it costs $24 for 2 Business Class seats on American.
We will be staying in the same condo we have stayed in previously. We know our way around for groceries, etc.

We let our Netherlands tulip cruise rebook for April 2021 when it was cancelled last March. We're thinking we probably won't be able to take it even then but have until January to get a refund (assuming the cruise line is still in business!). We were smarter when we had to decide on a September Dordogne trip and we postponed that until 2022. But DH is already exploring trips for fall of 2021, probably to Europe. His semiretirement gigs have been a month here or there with apartment and his travel paid in return for his lecture series. So far we've done Poland, western France, and Japan twice and Australia had ok'd for last May. They haven't said anything yet about rescheduling. DH has started making inquiries to line up something similar in northern Europe for next fall.

We have Brooks Camp in Katmai NP Alaska booked for next August. Involves a flight to Anchorage, a flight from Anchorage to King Salmon, and a float plane flyin from King Salmon to Brooks.

Hopefully it will work out.

We will go international as soon as there is a vaccine.

We will go to Europe in the spring if Europe opens up for us, they are holding our 20% deposit from this past July trip that got cancelled. Otherwise, all other trips are on, full steam ahead! Two trips to Florida, one trip to California, perhaps one to Colorado/Utah, and a trip to Michigan. DW wants to see Mt. Rushmore so it is on the short list. Southwest is offering some $39 fares right now, so I'd love to go to Portland Maine for a few days for a "LobsterFeast", or some other "feasting destination".

We will be going to Costa Rica this winter. They have done an outstanding job containing Covid.

I have a $750 deposit on a cruise off Belize and Guatemala in October of next year. Pretty hopeful that will happen.

I've also got a giant IOU from Overseas Adventure Travel good for any departure through 12/31/2022. I'd love to take their Eastern Europe tour next summer but holding off.

I'm tentatively planning a motorhome trip down to Bayern/Germany after Easter. Hoping for a vaccine before that.

Our 4/2020 flight to Berlin, Dresden, Poland and Budapest was cancelled.

We have since been to the Smoky Mountains 2x and the North GA mountains 2x--social distancing without incident.

Our yearly European trips are on hold, and who knows when we'll resume? But after 50 years of international travel, I'm just fortunate to have been to most major European cities 4-5 times.

If I never go on big vacations again, I'm good. But I'm still optimistic things will open up in another year or so.

We're okay with staycations and relatively short trips in our very beautiful region. And I can see future leisure trips may be different for many--rather than going on long, expensive trips.

That looks like a great plan. I hope you can pull it off. DW is not at all keen on cruising now, but maybe that will pass when we get an effective vaccine. She's using words like "never", but I know now is not the time.

Not seriously, but looking at RVs, and boats, since the travel budget is trying to bust free. DW isn't a fan of vacations where one must grocery shop and cook. We're running out of distanced travel options.

Last edited:
That looks like a great plan. I hope you can pull it off. DW is not at all keen on cruising now

If this refers to our 'plan', the cruise element is pretty much an afterthought, (we've always liked going to, or coming back from, Europe on a relaxing 'ship trip'). Our focus is Ukraine/Lithuania, returning to Poland, (although of course we don't know if that'll be viable), and if the cruise is out but the land's a go we'd (likely) just spend more time on the ground.....maybe even deke over to Moldova.

Last edited:
Just 'maybe' two months in Greece and Cyprus in Sept/Oct 2021. Perhaps two months in Thailand/Vietnam in Jan/March 2022.

Less optimistic about 2021.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great trip. Fingers crossed for you. Maternal GF was Lithuanian and the Baltic countries are all quite nice IMHO.

DW is hoping to get to London to see family before Christmas but I'm doubtful. More likely early spring. Other than Europe our usual trips would be into the US, usually driving but the border is closed and likely will be for some time. Interestingly, I could fly into the US, rent a car and drive anywhere in the country. Hard to believe.

Last edited:
I was tempted by the Viking River Russia cruise, as it spends quite a few days in St. Petersburg and Moscow.
Sure it's a bit pricey at $5,500 pp for 13 days, but doing Russia on our own would be difficult.
We had earlier a Princess Baltic cruise that was cancelled which did an overnight in St. Petersburg and it was 1/2 the price, but just 1 Russian stop.

Problem with the Viking cruise, if we signed up for it in summer of 2023 (3 years from now). They want full price paid by end of this year, 2.5 yrs before the cruise !
To me that's too long to hope they are still in business.

Other than Europe our usual trips would be into the US, usually driving but the border is closed and likely will be for some time. Interestingly, I could fly into the US, rent a car and drive anywhere in the country. Hard to believe.

Same problem in reverse for us. I was lucky to be able to drive into Canada for a short trip in late January, but that was the end of that. We had planned a long trip up into Nova Scotia for this summer, and that was a big disappointment. Last I heard, the border is closed to driving until Sep 21, but they could just keep extending it.

Same problem in reverse for us. I was lucky to be able to drive into Canada for a short trip in late January, but that was the end of that. We had planned a long trip up into Nova Scotia for this summer, and that was a big disappointment. Last I heard, the border is closed to driving until Sep 21, but they could just keep extending it.
Yes our expectation is that they will just keep extending the closure until numbers in the US get much better. Last poll I saw said that more than 85% of Canadians favoured keeping the border closed. To be honest, I'm not sure what the number was pre-COVID! :D

Playing around....looking at Fall 2021 (if I'm still around I'll be 79, but hey....)

'Plan' is in reverse order, written very lightly in pencil, (based on ship arrival date, (IF ship travel is viable by that time)), so start date (Toronto to Warsaw) is as yet 'undetermined':

[/I]

Nemo this looks like an interesting trip. What do you like about these areas? I ask because I really don't know about that neck of the woods.

Do you use a particular guide book? Do you speak the native language or are you familiar with the regions?

Nemo this looks like an interesting trip. What do you like about these areas? I ask because I really don't know about that neck of the woods.

Do you use a particular guide book? Do you speak the native language or are you familiar with the regions?

We've been to Poland/Romania previously, (and a couple other, unrelated/perhaps adjacent in some instances, countries), and what we like is the fact we haven't been 'here' before.

We do follow Kami's blog: https://www.mywanderlust.pl/about-kami/ and she provides some good tips, along with excellent photos, but other than that, (apart from doing some searches online), we use no guidebooks.

Languages.....I`m barely coherent in English, so following the lead of Blanche DuBois, "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", we wander aimlessly in unfamiliar areas. ;)

Staying away from major cities in general, focusing primarily, whenever possible/viable on 'secondary' towns/villages, (and especially downplaying those cities in 'popular' countries, although we have been to a couple), we enjoy 'relatively' (but certainly not 'totally'...there are few, if any, of those), tourist free zones

Serendipity R Us.

Back
Top Bottom