Travel hopes for 2022

Very excited to soon be heading to Malibu, CA for a week of hiking, sightseeing, and good eats. We are spending $100 a night for an RV site with gorgeous views of the Pacific Ocean. I did a quick search of hotel costs after my DF commented on a $100 nightly rate for RVing, and saw price points ranging from $500-$1,200 a night, with none of them offering anything close to the expansive views we'll have, so a bargain for us for sure.

I also just finished booking out our Fall RV trip, which will be five weeks of RV'ing along our beautiful California central coastline. We'll begin just south of Santa Cruz, then move on to Carmel, Morro Bay, Pismo Beach, and Ojai.

Sounds like you are staying at Malibu Beach RV Resort. We loved the view and the wonderful lanscaping. Night security at the gate too.

We bought a 35ft diesel pusher motorhome last October and have driven 9000 miles since then. We've done 3 trips to California beaches. On our last trip we hit Faria Beach (Ventura County), Malibu, Huntington Beach, and finally Silver Strand SP in Coronada near San Diego. Very different, loved them all. Wil def repeat in the fall. Thinking about Morro/Pismo too, maybe wine at Paso Robles. Haven't been to Carmel in years, but I'd love to return.

Care to share some of you favorite coastal CA campgrounds? We especailly love Faria (hard to reserve) and Silver Strand (only electric/water w/ dump station/pumpout).

Last edited:
Would love to drive the RV to Bryce Canyon NP this year for some hiking and biking while escaping the 100+ degree weather in SE Arizona. Drove a rental RV there last year, but injury go in the way of hiking.

I'm also thinking about Arches NP in the fall (Oct??), but the crowds and timed entry have me turned off. I visited Arches and Moab over 15 years ago and it was suprisingly quiet in April, one of the more comfortable times to go. Apparently quiet no more... Has anyone visited recently? How bad is it??

Just completed 6100 miles from MI through AR, TX, and mostly NM. Completed visiting all 50 states, and added 5 more National Parks to a total of 43 so far.

Airplane mask mandate stricken down by U.S. District Court judge

The NYT is reporting that a U.S. District Court judge in Florida has stricken down the mask mandate for airplane travel, ruling that the CDC exceeded its authority and did not properly follow the Administrative Procedures Act. Of course, the Justice Department can appeal and ask for a stay pending that appeal, so I wouldn't make plans to ditch the mask just yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...-cases-vaccine#federal-mask-mandate-airplanes

The NYT is reporting that a U.S. District Court judge in Florida has stricken down the mask mandate for airplane travel, ruling that the CDC exceeded its authority and did not properly follow the Administrative Procedures Act. Of course, the Justice Department can appeal and ask for a stay pending that appeal, so I wouldn't make plans to ditch the mask just yet.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...-cases-vaccine#federal-mask-mandate-airplanes

Yes, I’m cheering this ruling. But left wondering if this also strikes down the testing requirement prior to returning from international travel?

Would love to drive the RV to Bryce Canyon NP this year for some hiking and biking while escaping the 100+ degree weather in SE Arizona. Drove a rental RV there last year, but injury go in the way of hiking.

I'm also thinking about Arches NP in the fall (Oct??), but the crowds and timed entry have me turned off. I visited Arches and Moab over 15 years ago and it was suprisingly quiet in April, one of the more comfortable times to go. Apparently quiet no more... Has anyone visited recently? How bad is it??

I haven't been in a few years, but I would think that by October, the crowds would be much more manageable than during the summer months. Still probably busy though.

The timed entries I have experienced at the parks hasn't been an issue (assuming you actually have the time entry reservation). In fact, it's been very nice in my experience. I haven't ever had to wait long in an entry line since some parks have started this. Arches is so spread out with so many different stops, I suspect you'd be fine in October. Once you're in the park, the timed entry really doesn't impact you at all.

Federal Judge overturns mask mandate

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/many-airlines-are-dropping-masks-and-two-thirds-of-employers-have-too-heres-where-mask-mandates-remain-in-effect-11650394557

I suspect that for ourselves, the judge effectively cancelled our August trip and I am disappointed. DW has several risk factors and her doctors are already down on her doing any extra exposure.
If everyone around you in close proximity is unmasked, no amount of cabin air circulation will ease her discomfort.

I haven't been in a few years, but I would think that by October, the crowds would be much more manageable than during the summer months. Still probably busy though.

The timed entries I have experienced at the parks hasn't been an issue (assuming you actually have the time entry reservation). In fact, it's been very nice in my experience. I haven't ever had to wait long in an entry line since some parks have started this. Arches is so spread out with so many different stops, I suspect you'd be fine in October. Once you're in the park, the timed entry really doesn't impact you at all.

Thanks! Just saw on the Arches NP website that timed entry is only Apr 3 to October 3. Guess it isn’t too busy in October!

FWIW, all you folks traveling internationally are making a smart choice. The dollar is very strong these days. $1.08 per euro, for example. Not that long ago it took $1.20 to buy one euro. The dollar is at a 20 year high against the yen.

That’s a nice bonus. I haven’t been paying attention to currency rates. I have about eight weeks planned for Europe over the next few months. Hopefully the dollar stays strong.

We visited all of the big 5 Utah National Parks last summer and it wasn't really that bad. If you can get up early and get into the park as well as spend more than a day provides more options. Quite a few people doing the trails, but the shuttles where available were very organized and easy to access. I'm guessing shoulder season would be a bit lighter.

The Justice Department has indeed filed an appeal, and experts expect they will also seek a stay pending appeal.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...cases-vaccine#cdc-transportation-mask-mandate

The Justice Department has indeed filed an appeal, and experts expect they will also seek a stay pending appeal.
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/0...cases-vaccine#cdc-transportation-mask-mandate

I think that once the mask mandate has been overturned, it will be very difficult to put that genie back in the bottle. My mask stays on anyways, I don't need to be laid up for a week with no energy like many folks that I know who have contracted this supposed "weaker" variant.

Sounds like you are staying at Malibu Beach RV Resort. We loved the view and the wonderful lanscaping. Night security at the gate too.

We bought a 35ft diesel pusher motorhome last October and have driven 9000 miles since then. We've done 3 trips to California beaches. On our last trip we hit Faria Beach (Ventura County), Malibu, Huntington Beach, and finally Silver Strand SP in Coronada near San Diego. Very different, loved them all. Wil def repeat in the fall. Thinking about Morro/Pismo too, maybe wine at Paso Robles. Haven't been to Carmel in years, but I'd love to return.

Care to share some of you favorite coastal CA campgrounds? We especailly love Faria (hard to reserve) and Silver Strand (only electric/water w/ dump station/pumpout).

The night security makes me laugh- it's Malibu for gosh sakes!

Starting in San Diego and moving north, we enjoy Mission Bay RV in San Diego, but only if you get a bay view site, San Elijo SB, Carlsbad SB, Crystal Cove El Moro SB, Malibu Beach RV, Pismo SB or Pismo Village RV, Morro Bay SB, and New Brighton SB. And that's just the southern half of CA.

We prefer to be able to see and hear water, but be close to civilization, hence skipping some large swaths of the CA coastline that have very scenic state beach campgrounds, i.e., Ventura County. We want to hike by day, but wine & dine by night.

We visited all the above parks by RV in the June just prior to the pandemic, and got started by 8am each morning in order to beat the crowds. It worked well. Trails were quiet.

We did Bryce, then Capital Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and Mesa Verde, just over the line into CO. It was a great trip, so many beautiful hikes, ranger talks, and river boat excursions.

Just completed 6100 miles from MI through AR, TX, and mostly NM. Completed visiting all 50 states, and added 5 more National Parks to a total of 43 so far.

We are at 45 currently, and the remaining 18 are going to be tough- they are increasingly remote, particularly the one in American Samoa, and the lot in Alaska, of which we've been just to the two accessible by cruise ship.

We booked our trip to Switzerland for the last week of August through the first week of October. I was able to book two Business Class fares for $3022 each on Air Canada from LAX-YUL-GVA on their Airbus 330-300. The seats are lie-flat for all legs and the fare includes lounge access at LAX and YUL. The alternative flight was $3533 each on United Business Class from LAX-EWR-GVA but on older 767 aircraft. SAS had business class fares at $2916 each but the layover was 17.5 hours in CPH before catching a 70 minute flight to and from CPH to GVA. Prices were not dropping to the levels we saw last year when there were very few international travelers so I decided to pull the trigger and book.

I think that once the mask mandate has been overturned, it will be very difficult to put that genie back in the bottle. My mask stays on anyways, I don't need to be laid up for a week with no energy like many folks that I know who have contracted this supposed "weaker" variant.

They may be doing it for precedent purposes but they may let the mandate expire as they initially planned in early May.

For potential future pandemics, if the CDC has to wait for Congress to pass explicit laws to impose restrictions, that may be too slow.

As for one-way masking on planes, keep in mind this chart on this webpage:

https://www.samhealth.org/about-sam.../upgrade-your-mask-to-n95-for-best-protection

Have to hope the HEPA filtration and recirculated air will help for those who choose to continue to mask on flights.

In early and mid March, some UK carriers stopped requiring masks. Around the end of March, right before Easter's holiday surge in flights, BA and EasyJet canceled a lot of flights due to staff calling in sick.

They haven't established whether the loss of staff was driven mainly by covid infections but we did see flight cancellations around New Year's and into January because airline personnel were getting infected by Omicron.

Last edited:
I ALMOST pulled the plug on my planned trip to Munich (5/12-5/23). Just seemed like so many uncertainties, a lot of electronic hoops to jump through, and the usual hassles of international flying, even in Business Class. Everything up to now was refundable.

Then I was looking at side trips and checked out Malta (cheap nonstop from Munich). Rare combination of beautiful surrounding and fascinating history. Then I looked at the Hilton Malta site and my credit card flew out of my wallet. :)

Now I gotta order the 6-pack of COVID tests from the link on the UA site so I can get back into the US of A.

Last edited:
FWIW, all you folks traveling internationally are making a smart choice. The dollar is very strong these days. $1.08 per euro, for example. Not that long ago it took $1.20 to buy one euro. The dollar is at a 20 year high against the yen.

We find that international air fares are stable or decreasing whereas domestic fares seem to be increasing. We are finding the same for accommodation expenses.

We booked flights from Canada to Portugal a month ago. Our flight departing in four weeks has increased $20. Our flight home from Faro in two months time has gone down by $20. Different airlines, one way fares, booked separately.

The night security makes me laugh- it's Malibu for gosh sakes!

Starting in San Diego and moving north, we enjoy Mission Bay RV in San Diego, but only if you get a bay view site, San Elijo SB, Carlsbad SB, Crystal Cove El Moro SB, Malibu Beach RV, Pismo SB or Pismo Village RV, Morro Bay SB, and New Brighton SB. And that's just the southern half of CA.

We prefer to be able to see and hear water, but be close to civilization, hence skipping some large swaths of the CA coastline that have very scenic state beach campgrounds, i.e., Ventura County. We want to hike by day, but wine & dine by night.

Thanks for the campground recommendations; there are several places we haven’t considered. How long is your RV?? Reservations are difficult in most CA state beaches, esp. if your rig is over 30 ft long.

We like how you guys roll. We love Ventura county beaches, especially Faria, but also love eating out. We go into Ventura or , better yet, the marina, for decent dining. We love “The Greek” at the marina. We always go out to dinner with our local RV friends, even if they aren’t camping. Downtown Ventura has a few blocks of restaurants just past the Von’s supermarket. The brew pub in the old bank building is decent. Lots of choices. We prefer the marina though, cleaner, obvious homelessness.

Ever tried Silver Strand SB in Coronado/San Diego? Can bike downtown. Tons of restaurants, even some fancy ones. We like the counter service Greek facing the bay and downtown San Diego. Going back this fall!

Leaving tomorrow for Bonaire to scuba dive for the next four weeks. This will be our 19th trip there in the last 16 years so it's almost like a second home. We always stay at the same resort and have developed many friendships with locals and other visitors that tend to show up the same time every year as we do.

We used to do only shore diving on Bonaire but DGF has injured herself one too many times during tougher water entries so we have slowly transitioned to only doing boat dives these days. It's much more expensive but I hate it when she spends 9 months afterwards in a walking boot so definitely worth the extra cost.

This is the best time of year for us and we look forward to our time on the island with great anticipation. Our normal 1 bedroom apartment has the pool right outside our patio door and is about 100 yards from the boat dock and restaurant.

It's only a 4 hour direct flight from Atlanta but we now splurge on first class tickets because - why not.

We just got back from five days in Key West. We had a very nice time. Planes were full, we flew through the Atlanta airport to get down there from Iowa and it was very crowded. On the way home masks were off. We decided to wear ours just in case.

We booked a driving trip to Mount Rushmore, Estes Park and Breckenridge in June for our anniversary. Staying in several Air bnbs in Colorado.

Does anyone have recent experience with EU border crossings? I'm leaving for Germany next week (can't believe I'm typing this) and have a trip to Malta from Munich booked. Looks like Malta will be happy with my vaccine card. I'm debating about a short jaunt to Melk, Austria or Strasbourg, France. Is my US vaccine card enough? Are there backups at train stations and airports to check these things? I believe I also need to download some sort of Big Brother app that lets the EU track you. Oh, yeah- and a SIM card so my phone works over there. :)

I'm squared away with UA (my carrier to and from Munich)- passport uploaded, vaccine info to be uploaded 48 hours prior, I have 2 COVID tests ordered form a link on their site for entry back into USA.

Does anyone have recent experience with EU border crossings? I'm leaving for Germany next week (can't believe I'm typing this) and have a trip to Malta from Munich booked. Looks like Malta will be happy with my vaccine card. I'm debating about a short jaunt to Melk, Austria or Strasbourg, France. Is my US vaccine card enough? Are there backups at train stations and airports to check these things? I believe I also need to download some sort of Big Brother app that lets the EU track you. Oh, yeah- and a SIM card so my phone works over there. :)

I'm squared away with UA (my carrier to and from Munich)- passport uploaded, vaccine info to be uploaded 48 hours prior, I have 2 COVID tests ordered form a link on their site for entry back into USA.

I didn't cross any EU borders except on my flight back to the US so it was LIS-AMS-SFO.

The LIS-AMS was a TAP flight, the whole ticket was issued by United.

Nobody asked to see my negative antigen test that I had gotten the day before the LIS-AMS flight.

In general I don't think they check for intra-EU flights. They definitely wasn't asking for vaccination records or negative tests in the intra-Portugal flights I took.

Back
Top Bottom