Travel in France---French Attitude?

The medical system in France is great if you're French, but it's certainly not the first place I'd think of going for medical tourism. I would think it would be rather expensive for a non-citizen there. I'd imagine the bargains are in places like Thailand, China, India, etc.
I would be careful about medical tourism in China ... don't know about India and have heard good things about Thailand for plastic surgery.

. But I must say I don't find them any ruder than say New Yorkers (I am fluent in English, so the language is not the problem there either). I often fly to Europe via NY and almost every time I am in NY for just a few hours I encounter a rude taxi driver, a rude airline employee, or a rude airport employee (No I don't exaggerate one bit). I got lost once at JFK and asked an airport employee for directions and he just looked at me said "get lost morron".
I had a similar experience, and it wasn't even NY city... but one of the far out burbs ... Actually White Plains Airport. I was interviewing for a new job after not having to travel (especially to NY area) for a while. I landed at the airport, got my luggage and went to the rental car counter where I was ignored and then yelled at. As I shook my head in disbelief a fellow traveler in back of me commented 'welcome to NY'. :rolleyes:
An observation: the PR about NYers being nice and polite is PR hype.
When I did finally get back to the city, I found no change... nor did I expect any. The nice thing about having low expectations is that no one disappoints you and you don't get as mad or frustrated at things. :D

FI-EHRRDreamEHRRR.. you have ze Frainch citizenSHIP and ze Frainch acczont in your blood, n'est çe pas?
;) ;) :D

:LOL: oui, I'm busted...

IF you are an EU citizen, you would be eligible for, and should look into getting should you come over here, a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) that would also give you access to (some?/all?/aspects of?) other EU countries' systems should you be traveling w/in the EU. [Do check on particulars of this, which appear to be in flux.. I know little of it, not being an EU citizen but only able to access Italian health care through my marriage to an Italian citizen --if I were to travel to other EU countries, I would probably take out travel health ins. for myself.]

I have never heard of that EHIC card but it sounds interesting. I'll have to look into it. Right now when I travel to Europe I rely solely on my US private health insurance with worldwide coverage... That being said I am not the one paying the $10,000 a year premiums on it...

The EHIC is very cool. Basically, as an EU (or EEA) citizen, you're entitled to (and encouraged to get) an EHIC card that will cover the cost of your medical expenses while temporarily traveling or staying in other EEA (European Economic Area) countries. It's not just for emergency situations, but covers chronic illness and all pre-existing conditions while you're away from home.

It doesn't mean your treatment will be necessarily free, it means you will be treated the same as a citizen of the country your visiting. If their system has free care, your care will be free. If they require some small co-pay, then you'll have to pay that too. But I believe any out of pocket expense will be reimbursed to you by your own country when you return home.

Here is everything you need to know about the EHIC:

Employment, Social Affairs & Equal Opportunities - The European Health Insurance Card

Last edited:
I wonder if this so-called "stereotypical" Amercian tourist is another urban myth? I don't know that Americans disproportionately more than any other nationality "talk loud, wear shorts inappropriately, etc".

I kind of think that is a bunch of bunk. Based on my own observations.

Funny, when we (we're Asian) are tourists as a LARGE family and stand out (like we're the only Asians around), we always have to remind the older in-laws not to talk so loud. :angel: I think the bottom line is that you don't want to be obnoxious in someone else's territory. One way that "obnoxiousness" is portrayed is by being a demanding unreasonable person with an entitlement attitude (wow, that's a description of many people!).

We have plans to visit France in 2010. I've taken two years in French in high school (about 25 years ago) and 1 semester in college, but I need to spend more time learning conversational French if I'm going. Easy to ask the question. Difficult to understand the answer!:D

A few anecdotes signifying not much

Enjoyed this thread -- here are some anecdotes from my travels:

1. In Cote d'Azur (Vence) about a dozen years ago my wife and I stayed at a lovely 17th C. inn, run by a woman and her daughter. The mother had a cheerful but formal manner -- and always greeted us with a singsong "Bonjour!" After a while we decided she secretly meant "F You!" and imagined that was what she was saying each time, albeit in a pleasant sing song way. In our fantasy we didn't begrudge her this little secret rudeness and liked her special form of empowerment in the sometimes thankless service business! The dinner in the inn's dining room was to die for...but that's another story.

2. Once in Italy on a local train after a long day we had forgotten to cancel our tickets before boarding. Wouldn't you know it, a conductor appeared and asked for tickets (a rarity in this particular region). I fumbled for our tickets as he sized up the situation (cheaters!) and developed a sour look on his face. I held up the uncancelled tickets and (looking sheepish) said in Italian, "I'm sorry, sir. I made a stupid mistake." The conductor hesitated a second and then laughed and tousled my hair -- I was in my 40's then -- as though I were a little boy. He said that it wasn't a problem and have a nice trip.

3. Recently in Quebec my wife and I were in a Quebecois crafts store and we bought a painted ceramic plate with Quebec icons on it, such as a sheep. The oldish woman proprietor smiled warmly when I used French with her (as unpolished as it was) and she pointed to each symbol in turn and taught me the french words (e.g., "mouton") and had me repeat them. My wife paid with a credit card and reached for the wrapped up plate to leave, but the lady was having none of that. She came out from the counter and across the store, where I was waiting by the door, putting on my gloves, and handed it to me with a big smile. She thanked me and wished me a very good trip back to the States. My wife and I loved it!

All of this signifies not much -- just three stories -- but suggests perhaps that language and human interaction is incredibly rich, mysterious, and wonderful!

- BB

Last edited:
I had a similar experience, and it wasn't even NY city... but one of the far out burbs ... Actually White Plains Airport. I was interviewing for a new job after not having to travel (especially to NY area) for a while. I landed at the airport, got my luggage and went to the rental car counter where I was ignored and then yelled at. As I shook my head in disbelief a fellow traveler in back of me commented 'welcome to NY'. :rolleyes:
An observation: the PR about NYers being nice and polite is PR hype.
When I did finally get back to the city, I found no change... nor did I expect any. The nice thing about having low expectations is that no one disappoints you and you don't get as mad or frustrated at things. :D
hey, i resemble that remark. LOL

i grew up just north of NYC and spent a lot of time there as a kid and teenager. and still visit about once every few years for the culchah. yes, Noo Yawkers are rude. but not all. i met a lot of really nice folks who helped me get from point A to point B. several fussed over me and made sure i had someone meeting me.

i think it had something to do with the smile on my face and the Please and Thank You coming out of my mouth. either that or i'm cuter than I thought. :)

people are people no matter what their zip code.

I have spent a few weeks in Paris, and had both very negative and very great experiences with the Parisians, so just another major metro, I'm guessing.
The Parisians are alot more open with their affection than we will ever be. Everyone kisses in public there. So, I got into the mood (in my 20's, so forgive me) and kissed a guy who had a crush on me while riding the metro....ahhhh...I felt like a Parisian then.

As far as medical care in France, I think it is great and that it has improved dramatically in the past few years.
Given the fact that I have the French citizenship through my mom (mom's family is French, Dad's is Swiss), I have the opportunity to reenter the national health system free of charge until next year. I was covered under that system while going to college in France 10-15 years ago, but I exited the system when I moved to America and have been covered only by private insurance companies ever since. But I am getting a bit uneasy about the private health insurance system here, and I am particularly worried about the possibility of being denied healthcare coverage due to pre-existing conditions. So I will probably choose to reenter the French national health system at the end of this year. It isn't cheap (premiums would be about 170 euros per month), but I feel like if suddenly I became uninsurable in America, at least I would have a place to go to to get great healthcare at a great cost. Plus they would also cover me while I am in the US for medical, dental and vision though only up to what it would cost for similar procedures in France. Since for now I have private healthcare insurance and intend to keep it for as long as they will keep me, that means that the French national health system would pay me back for any unreimbursed expenses such as copays and deductibles.

Comment vous êtes chanceux!

Many international reviews rate France's healthcare system as one of the best in the world. There seems to be little problem with timely access. For example, there is a high ratio of physicians per capita. A friend of mine (not a French citizen) was able to arrange elective surgery within three days. If you visit the doctor, you are much more likely to find him/her answering the door, pulling your chart, taking your blood pressure and doing many tasks that in north America would be delegated to a receptionist or nurse. There is a tendency to increased frequency of visits for preventive care, and French physicians love to prescribe, especially for "la digestion". Some years ago I accompanied a friend to an ER in Périgord after she had fallen off her bike. It was just a wrist sprain, but she came out with a prescription for nine items (including a laxative and "tonic for the liver")! There is some concern about the long term financial sustainability of the system, but if you have the option, I think it's a great investment.

Comment vous êtes chanceux!

Many international reviews rate France's healthcare system as one of the best in the world. There seems to be little problem with timely access. For example, there is a high ratio of physicians per capita. A friend of mine (not a French citizen) was able to arrange elective surgery within three days. If you visit the doctor, you are much more likely to find him/her answering the door, pulling your chart, taking your blood pressure and doing many tasks that in north America would be delegated to a receptionist or nurse. There is a tendency to increased frequency of visits for preventive care, and French physicians love to prescribe, especially for "la digestion". Some years ago I accompanied a friend to an ER in Périgord after she had fallen off her bike. It was just a wrist sprain, but she came out with a prescription for nine items (including a laxative and "tonic for the liver")! There is some concern about the long term financial sustainability of the system, but if you have the option, I think it's a great investment.

I am filling out the forms as we speak. I too worry about the long term financial sustainability of the system, but I think that the French people are willing to make the sacrifices necessary to keep their (mostly) beloved health system. To me the main thing that differs between the US and French health systems is, as you pointed out, the doctor/patient relationship.
In the US, if I want to see my doctor I may have to wait 1 week before getting an appointment. In France, I could generally see my doctor the same day. If I didn't feel good in the middle of the night, I could call a doctor to come visit me at home instead of waiting for hours in the ER. But also, most doctors don't have nurses in their offices. So When it is your turn to see the doctor, you have his full attention. He weights you, take your temperature, measure your blood pressure (usually while asking you what's going on in your life and how the rest of the family's doing). The patient/doctor relationship is more personal, and IMHO, more compassionate. In the US, I feel like medecine has become more industrial and less human, like "doctor, patient #542896 is waiting for you in exam room #4". When I go to the doctor's here, I don't feel like the doctor really "cares" about me. I'm just a case. But, to be fair, the US health system has some advantages too: It is efficient and modern and on many levels very avant-garde. Medical facilities are also excellent in the US.
It is also true that prevention is an important aspect of French medecine, though they tend to overdo it sometimes in my opinion. But low cost to the patients, means that people will be more likely to go see the doctor at the onset of symptoms rather than wait until they feel so bad that they have to go to the ER.
Ah and finally, "la digestion" is so important for the French! How sad would life be if one couldn't eat and enjoy it anymore!

Last edited:
Here is the most important thing to know about Parisians. When you go into a store (or anywhere) say, "Bonjour Madame" or "Bonjour Missuer" (crappy spelling, for sure)... and then they will respect that you are civilized. Even if you speak English, and you will, they will be nicer to you. You should also know how to say bon sois, madame and bon nuit madame and things like that. It seems to be the equivalent of smiling at someone in the states. My french is awful. don't use my spelling or wording. Try a Rick Steves book for French language or the book for Paris. It should give you a decent idea of pronunciation. You can get his Paris book at the library. You also need to know that waiters just bring food like fast robots...don't take offense. You need to say l'addition (something like law-dish-ee-own) to get the bill. If you are trying to get aspirin in a pharmacy, you will walk in and say Bon Jour Madame (or messieur). Then say "Sil Vou Plait Aspirin?" or whatever. pronounce it something like see-voo-play and they will probably know more english than they can speak. It's a fabulous city. They just have different ways. Try renting the movie "Ridicule", as I think it sums up the attitudes of many parisians.

The correct words/phrases are, in order

"Monsieur" but pronounced roughly as you have spelled it

"bonsoir" meaning "good evening" and pronounced while swallowing the "r"

"bonne nuit" meaning good night and pronounced roughly "bun nwee"

"s'il vous plait" meaning literally "if it pleases you" but translated as "please" and pronounced as you note.

These are a good start, but I would make an effort to learn a little more. You are quite correct, though, that they will almost certainly speak English better than you (or I) speak French.

In France, shops and especially small shops are semi-private spaces. You have to behave as you would at an open house party. Everyone's invited, you are welcome to move about the place as you wish, but you have to pay your respects to the host or hostess. Therefore greeting the host or hostess on the way in and on the way out is customary.

Interestingly, this is reflected in the French language:
"je vais chez Roger" means "I am going to Roger's home". In French you don't usually say "I am going to the butcher shop", you say "je vais chez le boucher", i.e. it almost sounds like a social call as if your were visiting the butcher's home and not his place of business.

Whenever traveling in a foreign country, I would always make eye contact and nod when entering a shop. Speak the greetings in the local language if you can, but people throughout the world also understand "Hello". In fact, we should remember to do this in the US too, when entering a small shop.

About open house parties, I have seen people who come to an open house, and do not bother to seek out who the hosts are.

Back
Top Bottom