Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

I have bought into the hype of bareoot or at least minimalist shoes. It seems that human anatomy has not changed the last hundred thousand years let alone last few decades. Or could it be that humans have greatly gained in size and weight recently that necessitate thick cushy soles? Anyways I have been wearing these for jogging or just walking. They have quick-release laces plus a velcro strap. Other brands are out there of course. YMMV as always.

WHITIN Men's Minimalist Trail Runner | Wide Toe Box | Barefoot Inspired https://a.co/d/drHQLNT

The problem with the barefoot theory is asphalt, concrete, and tile/linoleum/hardwood floors. Evolution was on natural ground - not hard flat surfaces.

Hokas are great shoes but not for me. I have a replaced ankle joint that makes me pretty picky. I like a high heel and stiff sole. Hokas meet the need for high heel not stiff/rigid sole.
Bought a pair of Hoka trainers for the gym. In the gym five hours a week. Padding on heel cup wore out in less than a year (250 hours). The shoes were otherwise fine, had to toss them.
Also have some Hoka hikers that are okay. Not a lot of support but very cushy.
For the money ($30) I’ve been wearing Walmart brands for the gym.
My honey only wears Hokas has about five pairs.
Gallaher,

Good to see you. How is the new joint?

One of my reasons for seeking Hokas was the heel height, as I need that to clear the calcium deposits in my ankle, which will be replaced one of these days.

Performs well there.

Sole rigidity not an issue-yet.

Went to the local REI, hoping to try some Hokas but they didn't have my size and some of the shoes, like the Bondi 8, come in wide sizes but the stores don't have them.

And in fact REI website doesn't list them either.

So I'd have to order from Hoka directly.

I'm sure I can return them if they don't fit comfortably but pretty pricey so I ordered some Skechers instead from Amazon, which are half the price and also have very thick soles and is part of their "max cushioning" line.

At the store, I liked the Hoka trail runners with the Vibram soles. However, the salesman said that they will wear out faster on pavement than the road running shoes with the smoother treads.

But the soles were also more rigid, so maybe not as cushiony but comparable to hiking shoes, so good for rocky terrain on hikes.

Plus apparently it's the road shoes like the Bondi 8 which have maximum cushion as well as the wide sizes.

So I've saved the Bondi 8 as a favorite for next time.

I went that route and ended up with plantar fasciitis. I do use the minimalist shoes on a hiking area where I need good footing, and they grip well and don’t have a thick sole, so less of a chance of accidentally kicking a rock. I use my Hokas for every day use and general exercise.

Altra Lone Peak 5. Lightweight trail hiking shoe that feels like you’re wearing slippers.

Since you posted this, I have purchased four pair (LP5, two LP6 and the weatherproof LP). I love these shoes. They are my go-to travel shoe (and daily really too).

Since you posted this, I have purchased four pair (LP5, two LP6 and the weatherproof LP). I love these shoes. They are my go-to travel shoe (and daily really too).

My son and I have 3 pair between us. Just completed an 85 mile backpacking trip. Altra's were great. I wear the LP6 as my golf shoes now for 1-2 walking rounds of 18 a week carrying my bag. Love them!

My son and I have 3 pair between us. Just completed an 85 mile backpacking trip. Altra's were great. I wear the LP6 as my golf shoes now for 1-2 walking rounds of 18 a week carrying my bag. Love them!

I’ve backpacked over 1700 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail using Altras. And many other trails as well. They have been just what I needed. Yes, I’ve replaced several pair from being worn out. But that’s more the trail fault than the shoe. And not getting blisters is worth it.

We wear shoes only from SAS . American made in San Antonio Texas . Buy them at their outlet store . For walking I wear a sneaker that SAS builds for the US military new enlistments . I wear the ones they make for the Airforce ..you have to ask for them .cool looking and very comfortable. They also have all widths .

Back
Top Bottom