Travel/Walking shoe recommendations

I have come to like Kuru shoes a lot. I have a bad bunion on my right foot, and the Kurus wear very well around it and don't aggravate it. The cushion and support are very good.

+1 on the Kurus. I have plantar fasciitis and my PCP mentioned that some of his patients really liked that brand (he also wears them at work). They aren't cheap (the pair I got was almost $150) but have been great for walks around the neighborhood. Not only are they very comfortable, they look nice...no gaudy advertising or ridiculous bright colors.

Here is what I purchased: https://www.kurufootwear.com/mens-atom.html?color=Indigo-White-Basalt

Current shoes is a pair of Merrell hiking shoes which are great if you come across trails with rocky, uneven terrain. The sole is stiff and grips well.

I think they're also suppose to be waterproof.

I got the wide pair but man, my feet get swollen and hot in those shoes so for urban walking it's Sketchers or something equally light, probably not waterproof.

Also find that it's good to have slippers in your hotel room so that you don't have to walk barefoot on the floor and if you just want to go to breakfast or somewhere nearby, they're fine.

Used to use those slippers that airlines give you but too flimsy so I bought a pair in France that were more sturdy, cost like $30-35, probably overpriced a bit, but they're easy to pack and wish I'd done it sooner.

I recently got a pair of Hoka One One Hupana Flow Wool. New favorite walking/travel shoe.

I had the opportunity recently to wear a pair of Hoka One One Bondi 7's for a day. (Visited sis and she let me borrow hers). I was surprised at how comfortable they were and that I didn't need to wear my inserts. My feet didn't hurt after a day of wearing and walking around. So I went out and bought myself a pair.
They are expensive but it is so worth not have any pain at the end of the day.:dance:

I looked for some Salomon X Ultra Wide Gore Tex shoes.

They're only available in size 7 or 8 at all the sites.

Salomon says other sizes won't be available until next season.

Did you know there are seasons for hiking shoes?

They said it should be June.

Or is this another supply chain shortage thing?

Though it makes sense, they'd want to have inventory by summer.

I had the opportunity recently to wear a pair of Hoka One One Bondi 7's for a day. (Visited sis and she let me borrow hers). I was surprised at how comfortable they were and that I didn't need to wear my inserts. My feet didn't hurt after a day of wearing and walking around. So I went out and bought myself a pair.
They are expensive but it is so worth not have any pain at the end of the day.:dance:

The only shoes I wear is Hoka Bondi. They are not great in the cold and not waterproof at all but they are so comfortable I can't wear anything else--I have foot arthritis.

I looked for some Salomon X Ultra Wide Gore Tex shoes.

They're only available in size 7 or 8 at all the sites.

Salomon says other sizes won't be available until next season.

Did you know there are seasons for hiking shoes?

They said it should be June.

Or is this another supply chain shortage thing?

Though it makes sense, they'd want to have inventory by summer.

I have a pair of Salomon x utras. Mine are beat. Soles detaching, tread almost nonexistent. I’ve had them about 15 months - maybe 200-300 miles of hiking on them. They should last longer than that IMO.

I’m not getting another pair of Salomons. From now on, I’m going hiking with Altra lone peaks in summer and Merrells in the winter.

Lots of great answers here and, while I haven't read them all, I agree with everyone that it is about personal fit/style. I would add that where you're traveling is a big consideration.

I love light weight tennis shoes with sturdy soles (NB and some Nike) for a lot of my travel, but I am a total fan of Keen for conditions that require something a little sturdier. I wore them for many weeks in India and they performed marvelously...great sturdy toe box and hold up to semi-rugged urban conditions.

I am about to head out to Jordan/Egypt for a month and am taking my Keens, a pair of Danners and a pair of Nikes.

Good luck with your travel!

I have Merrills, Sketchers, New Balance, Sperry and Cole Haun shoes under my bed right now.

But for travel, I have a pair of black Dunham shoes that pass for dress shoes, and they are about the most comfortable travel shoes ever. They're pretty stiff and fit my size 15 feet like a glove.

Finally bought a pair and love them. Agree that they will also be perfect for our trip to Germany/Italy/Croatia in May.

Just finishing our trip - changed slightly to Germany/Italy/Portugal. The Altras were the perfect shoe for long miles over uneven terrain. And so comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion!

For a secondary pair of shoes in a warm climate, I recommend taking a look at the Chaco Z/Volv Sandals. They pack flat making them good for minimal luggage travel. I find that I can get the straps adjusted to a single position so that I can wear socks as desired (like when out in bright sunshine) or without socks (in the evening or at the beach). When I first got them I thought the soles where a little too squishy, but found that they worked well enough on city sidewalks or rocky footpaths. While a broken in pair of Birks are better, they are very bulky in comparison and are not as versatile.

Merrill and Keen for hiking.

Oofos is a brand that’s advertising a lot on podcasts.

I bought a pair of slides or sandals for $64 with 20% REI member discount.

The thick soles do cushion a lot.

However it runs so narrow and I’m using a pair like 3 or 4 sizes bigger than my shoe size because of wide feet.

Still my feet are squished and perspire a lot under the band of tHe sandal.

So I might have been interested in an Oofos shoes but it’s doubtful I can find a good fit.

That’s also a problem for me with hiking shoes, they don’t run wide enough and when my feet swell from long walks or hikes, it really gets uncomfortable.

I wore a pair of Sketchers which runs wide and is comfortable but not good for the trails, which often have rocky terrain and you can feel the rocks through the thin, pliant soles.

I bought some Hoka hiking boots a couple of years ago. Much more comfortable and lighter than the Columbias they replaced. These go on all of our travels especially with my highly arthritic ankle.

Now also have the Hoka tennis shoes. Bought right before our trip to the national parks in the west.

Around here I wear Sperry's, Tevas or Rockports but when on walks or trails it is Hoka.

For simple walking on a flat route, for many years I wore New Balance walkers or cross-trainers. At some point I tried Nike Air cross trainers and have stuck with them for years.

For hiking, I started with Merrills about 10 years ago, but over time I am finding that they are tight on the toes. I have switched to Keens: they are more comfortable, and equally good in function.

Merrell's. I can find them on eBay (new and my size) and Amazon. They are the same shoe from the Merrell website, but less expensive.

I bought some Hoka hiking boots a couple of years ago. Much more comfortable and lighter than the Columbias they replaced. These go on all of our travels especially with my highly arthritic ankle.

Now also have the Hoka tennis shoes. Bought right before our trip to the national parks in the west.

Around here I wear Sperry's, Tevas or Rockports but when on walks or trails it is Hoka.

See a lot of talk about Hoka.

What is their main feature? Heard of lightweight soles.

For pounding the pavement during travel I have put a lot of miles on Skechers, which mainly seem to be known for cushioning and extra wide sizes.

For pounding the pavement during travel I have put a lot of miles on Skechers, which mainly seem to be known for cushioning and extra wide sizes.

I am a Hoka wearer. I have foot arthritis and went to a podiatrist several years ago. The podiatrist recommend the Hoka Bondi shoes. Once I started wearing them my foot pain disappeared.. Now that is the only shoe I wear. Very comfortable, lightweight, cushioned soles. Good support. My husband also started wearing them and they helped his knee pain. They are sort of ugly but so comfortable. All my doctors, dentists, etc wear them.

They are lightweight and highly cushioned. If you notice now other manufacturers have copied the ultra cushioned look. It has become a trend.

How can I be sure that when I buy something on a site like ebay that the item wasn't part of a flash mob pilfering?

Just ask them in the Q&A; they will be 100% honest and tell you. In fact, eBay requires its sellers to state whether they were stolen from a Foot Locker in Los Angeles or other large city, so you shouldn't even have to ask.

Just ask them in the Q&A; they will be 100% honest and tell you. In fact, eBay requires its sellers to state whether they were stolen from a Foot Locker in Los Angeles or other large city, so you shouldn't even have to ask.

Ummm if they are stolen they will tell you?? [emoji28][emoji1787][emoji23] eBay can require anything but flash mobs are not honest people. Just my 2c

Back
Top Bottom