trip insurance

I get a year long policy from Allianz (AllTrips Prime plan) It is less expensive than one for just one trip. My cost for coverage for all my trips within 365 days is $280.

https://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/

PLAN BENEFITS
Trip Cancellation
$3,000
Reimburses your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you must cancel your trip due to a covered reason.

Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: $3,000

Trip Interruption
$3,000
Reimburses you for the unused, non-refundable portion of your trip and for the increased transportation costs it takes for you to return home due to a covered reason.

Pre-existing Medical Condition Limit: $3,000

Emergency Medical
$20,000
Provides benefits for losses due to covered medical and dental emergencies that occur during your trip. Depending on your plan, there is a $500 or $750 maximum for all covered dental expenses.

Dental Care maximum sublimit: $750

Emergency Transportation
$100,000
Emergency Medical Transportation arranges and pays for the cost to medically transport you to an appropriate medical facility to receive care and to get you home after you have received care.

Baggage Loss/Damage
$1,000
Covers loss, damage or theft of baggage and personal effects.

Maximum benefit for all high value items, per policy: $500

Baggage Delay
$200
Reimburses the reasonable additional purchase of essential items during your trip if your baggage is delayed or misdirected by a common carrier for 24 hours or more. Receipts for emergency purchases are required.

Minimum Required Delay: 12 hr(s)

Travel Delay
$600
Reimburses you for additional expenses due to a covered delay of six hours or more. Some plans may also cover lost prepaid trip expenses due to covered travel delay, depending on the product and state. Please see your insuring agreement to verify whether your insurance plan includes this coverage.

Minimum Required Delay: 6 hr(s)

Daily Limit: $200

Maximum reimbursement per 24-hour period of delay: Included

Rental Car Damage and Theft Coverage
$45,000
Primary collision/loss damage coverage protects your rental car in case it's stolen or damaged in a covered accident or while it's left unattended.

Not available to residents of KS, TX, and NY

Travel Accident Coverage
$25,000
Provides cash payment for covered losses due to death, loss of limb(s) or sight as a result of a covered travel accident.

24-Hr Hotline Assistance
Included
With Allianz Global Assistance, you'll never travel alone. Our multilingual assistance team is available 24 hours a day to help you handle all kinds of travel emergencies. We can help you find local medical and legal professionals, arrange to send a message home, help with missed connections and lost/stolen travel documents, and much more.

Concierge
Included
Provides personalized information about your destination and assists you with obtaining restaurant reservations, tee times and tickets to events.

Epidemic Coverage Endorsement
Included
Adds covered reasons to select benefits for certain losses related to COVID-19 and any future epidemic. For more information, please see the Epidemic Coverage Endorsement page in your plan details.

squaremouth.com Have used them a dozen times.

It's the cancellation coverage that is expensive, so just get the medical & repatriation coverage.

Who do you guys use to buy trip insurance with? I mean company or through a broker? What do you normally buy?

Believe you can get good trip insurance through certain credit card companies for free when you purchase the trip with their card.

Believe you can get good trip insurance through certain credit card companies for free when you purchase the trip with their card.

Be careful. Understand if any age limits and coverage amount limits apply to you credit card coverage.

Yes, that's been cut back a LOT in recent years. I assume I have no coverage. If I ever do have an issue that might be covered I'll figure out if my Costco credit card (which I use for all travel expenses) covers it, but I buy insurance from an insurance company, too.

About 3 years ago, I cancelled my costco credit card as they removed pretty much ALL travel benefits, and that was the main attraction for me of the card.
You might want to check it out.

I have to travel to see my elderly mother regularly. A really crappy discount airline is the only one with a non-stop flight. And it’s really cheap in comparison. But they only fly there twice a week. And they don’t have hundreds of spare planes like the majors do. They have a lousy maintenance record and are usually full. Since i can’t afford to get stuck there waiting for the next semi-weekly flight, I’ve been buying an inexpensive trip insurance plan through Allianz. I save about $400 and give Allianz about $50 to insure I can get back home in a timely manner. Haven’t had to use it yet but its been worth the price so I don’t get stuck paying high affair, hotels, or car rentals because the discount airline doesn’t come through.

Once a year we rent an '"On the beach" house in North Carolina for 8 to 10 people for a week or two. We like to make the trip following Labor Day when the kids are back in school and the crowds have diminished.
Unfortunately, that time of year is also hurricane season.
And, your rental payment to these outfits is paid in full and non-refundable. So, we usually purchase hurricane insurance.
I think the last time we used the insurance was in 2019. We received all of our money back.

About 3 years ago, I cancelled my costco credit card as they removed pretty much ALL travel benefits, and that was the main attraction for me of the card.
You might want to check it out.
If you travel internationally, your Costco card (Citi) does not charge a foreign exchange fee. Visa usually charges 3% for foreign exchange which gets passed through to card-holders. While it doesn't make up for the loss of insurance, the insurance benefit was limited to begin with (esp when you compare to a travel insurance policy available from an insurance carrier).

- Rita

Well

Who do you guys use to buy trip insurance with? I mean company or through a broker? What do you normally buy?

I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for trips & it has travel insurance including MedEvac (which is why I upgraded from Preferred to Reserve).

It was a tough pill to go from a $95 annual fee to a $550.
BUT I get $300/yr off ANY travel expenses that I charge on the card.
Suddenly it's only $250/yr.
Annual policy I was looking at was $450/yr.
So even without the other added benefits, it was a no-brainer to upgrade.

Now, most of our air is on SWA so that goes on their card since cancelling still gets you credit (now with no expiration date).
Hotels are booked so that we can cancel a day or 2 before, so again, no issue.

But air on other airlines, cruises, non-refundable items go on Reserve.

Last edited:
Sapphire reserve

We have used our trip insurance on at least one out of five trips over the past 20 years. We live in maine, and honestly when we travel in the winter there's like a one out of three chance statistically that we're going to get snowed out or snowed in one or the other.

We have always used the local AAA travel agency, somehow we get hooked up with a lady that works there and we just always used her and she's taking care of all of the pesky details for us.

However, we pay $550 for the Chase Sapphire reserve credit card annually, and they supposedly have great insurance so we got a chance to use it recently. Other than having to acquire a official notice of delay from Delta which took about 90 days, it worked wonderfully. It was all online, just had a choir and upload a couple of documents and we were good.

Maybe we're inciting the law of attraction or some other physical energetic thing here, but we just automatically assume we're going to need to file a claim and nearly half the time we do. It's amazing hearing all of your stories about never having to file a claim before.

So as long as it's not a $50,000 around the world cruise I think getting a credit card that has great travel insurance might serve you well.

Spoke to my SIL (Canadian) this week.

She had a heart problem while in Florida. Triple bypass. Hospital stay.

They just saw the bill. Slightly over $1Mil USD, all in. They have insurance. Their cost was $0.

The insurer....if it is similar what happened to another friend of ours the insurer will have negotiated the bill down to 50-55 percent. On condition that the negotiated amount be paid within 3-5 days.

Last edited:
If you travel internationally, your Costco card (Citi) does not charge a foreign exchange fee. Visa usually charges 3% for foreign exchange which gets passed through to card-holders. While it doesn't make up for the loss of insurance, the insurance benefit was limited to begin with (esp when you compare to a travel insurance policy available from an insurance carrier).

- Rita

That makes it useful, while in the foreign country. But there are a number of other cards that have no FTF and cover travel issues like delays, lost baggage , etc.
I opted to get the Chase Sapphire card, yearly fee of $95, but it has lots of coverage for traveling, so now I only buy medical and evac coverage for trips.

I am searching for an annual policy for trips of 1-4 months. Allianz will cover trips up to 90 days (their most expensive policy) AND it has coverage I don't need: travel insurance.

And the limit of $50K for medical expenses won't do much for treatment and extended hospitalization for a heat attack or a stroke or major injury in a motor vehicle accident.

Suggestions for emergency/major coverage? I have a MedJet evacuation policy. I really want major/catastrophic coverage for non-USA.

Last edited:
Allianz also has year long policies.

Yes, you can buy an Allianz annual plan which covers multiple trips during that year. However, the lengths of the trips are limited:

Trips longer than 45 days are excluded from coverage (except with an AllTrips Premier plan where your trip may be up to 90 days).

And, depending on the annual plan, emergency medical is capped at either $20K or $50K.

GeoBlue (as shown on SquareMouth) has policies with protections ranging from $50K to $500K medical coverage. Of course, you pay quite a bit more for that.

We have geoblue annual policy for hospital and evacuation. BUT, it is limited to 70 days per trip. We buy riders from them for days in excess of that--basically "single trip" health/evac" insurance for the excess days.

We have geoblue annual policy for hospital and evacuation. BUT, it is limited to 70 days per trip. We buy riders from them for days in excess of that--basically "single trip" health/evac" insurance for the excess days.

Ah-ha! this is very useful -- I had not seen on their website that you can buy a rider for excess days.

Thus far the coming year is looking like international trips of 35 days, 2.5 months, and 3.5 months days. And assorted domestic trips in between.

Did/do you do this all online or do you work through a broker?

Also: I have a MedJet policy so I have been thinking I don't need more evacuation insurance. But perhaps I should think of that as "repatriation" insurance and the travel medical/evac as "emergency to the nearest adequate facility" insurance ... hmmm

Back
Top Bottom