TSA luggage locks with International Flights

PaunchyPirate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My new luggage has built in TSA locks on them. I’m familiar with them and have used them many times for domestic US travel. Dare I use them for flights an Iberia from JFK to Madrid and then Madrid to Rome. Returning from Venice to Madrid to JFK. Since they are built in to the latch, they can’t just cut them off if security needs to get inside the luggage. Any experiences?

The last time I used TSA approved locks, the TSA agents didn’t bother and just cut the lock, along with the pull tab and part of the slider.

When I fly international.. I don't lock my bags. That allows them to open it with little damage. (they still manage to do some damage to seam of the bags).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I was thinking the locks don’t fly abroad. Pun intended. I’ll have to look at my luggage. I’m hope they don’t always lock. I think if I leave the dials set at 0-0-0 they should just open. But if that combination gets bumped in transit, I think it would get locked. I’ll have to pull them out of storage and play around with them.

The last time I used TSA approved locks, the TSA agents didn’t bother and just cut the lock, along with the pull tab and part of the slider.

That sucks. I’ve used the little dangling padlock type for years without incidence. I don’t know that they ever needed to open them however. I never got a paper notice in the suitcase like some I know.

When we travel, I just zip tie my zippers together, that way it's easy for TSA to cut if they want to look.
Plus I can easily tell if someone looked inside, maybe not even TSA if the zip tie is gone.
I use a colored one, as less common than a white or black one.

When we travel, I just zip tie my zippers together, that way it's easy for TSA to cut if they want to look.
Plus I can easily tell if someone looked inside, maybe not even TSA if the zip tie is gone.

That’s a good idea.

I still travel with TSA locks, and use them when I’m staying in a hotel and on my backpack.

I think I’ll do this. Thanks for the idea.

I don't even think about locking a checked bag anymore, since I get the piece of paper inside almost every single time telling me they opened it to check something. Nothing has ever gone missing, so I don't worry about it.

On our first trip with TSA locks. An agent wanted to look at our carry-on due to the voltage converter I packed. She patiently waited for me to unlock it. There are keys for them to use, but I don't think it's common to waste time. I like the zip tie idea and will probably use that for checked bags going forward.

I don’t lock to prevent theft. I do it to help prevent the zippers from catching something in the luggage belt system and forcing it open - spilling my happy face boxers all over the luggage carrousel. :):):)

Never locked our luggage in 40 plus years of domestic and international travel.

Anyone worried about a drug smuggling ring putting coke in the checked luggage, to pick it up at the arrival airport if it makes it past Customs ?

An unlocked bag would be incredibly easy to put something inside.

Drug rings have been caught at airports before.

Anyone worried about a drug smuggling ring putting coke in the checked luggage, to pick it up at the arrival airport if it makes it past Customs ?

An unlocked bag would be incredibly easy to put something inside.

Drug rings have been caught at airports before.

Cannot say that we were ever overly concerned about that.

Even less so since retiring and switching to carry on only.

I don’t lock to prevent theft. I do it to help prevent the zippers from catching something in the luggage belt system and forcing it open - spilling my happy face boxers all over the luggage carrousel. :):):)

I don't lock my bags but I have used a twist tie (not sure if that's the term for those flat plastic strips with a wire through the middle) to hold the zipper closed for the reasons you described. With zip ties I'd need to carry extra for various stops and a tool to cut them in my carryon. Not a big deal but like you, I am not worried about theft, just accidental opening.

We use small colored zip ties, and a heavy 3 in bright blue strap.

The blue strap makes it stand out on the carousel, and keeps unmentionables from falling out.

I carry my valuables in my carry on, so if they want to rummage through my dirty underwear, that's on them, but I see no need to lock them up.

I’ve been using the little zip tie locks for several weeks years. They are cheap, easy for security to remove, and I carry extras for the return trip home.

The better ones have a number printed on them, so you can check to see if the lock on your bag is the one you put on or an intruder’s lock.

I used to find the little TSA “We checked your luggage” flyer in my bag consistently. Then I stopped flying with my electric toothbrush and it rarely happens anymore.

Our bags have TSA locks built in & we always lock them - domestic or international travel. Never had an issue.

To be fair, I didn't even think it would be an issue - not, I'll be worried :)

I’ve been using the little zip tie locks for several weeks years. They are cheap, easy for security to remove, and I carry extras for the return trip home.

The better ones have a number printed on them, so you can check to see if the lock on your bag is the one you put on or an intruder’s lock.

I just mark them with a marker, so I know if it's my zip tie.

As for removing them, a nail clipper in my carry on bag works well.

Back
Top Bottom