UK car rental?

BarbWire

Recycles dryer sheets
I will be renting a car in the UK next month - first time renting outside the US in 30 years, as I have always used public transportation in Europe in the past. And I am flailing as I try to make a reservation.

In the US I use autoslash and Costco as a first step but sometimes go directly to Hertz, Enterprise or Avis.

What is the best way to go about booking for the UK? I looked at AutoEurope, which I like because it shows the costs at three levels of insurance (but it is not clear if the "SuperCover" is offered by the renting company or is a 3rd party policy). I do not like that they require prepay.

I will talk to Costco later today (have to call them, as they only show manuals online).

I put in a quote request at autoslash, but when given the "offers" could not ascertain what the insurance upcharges would be, which makes comparison hard.

In the US I rely on my auto insurance and my Chase Sapphire Reserve card for insurance, but I am inclined in the UK -- at least for this first rental -- to have the SuperCover "just hand 'em the keys" coverage for peace of mind. As a solo traveler, I like to minimize possible headaches.

Finally, my trip begins with a week in London, and then I begin my roadtrip with no fixed route or bookings. I could go back to LHR or LGW to get a car, but an off-airport location might be advantageous, even in another town -- if the driving is very very calm as I get my bearings. Suggestions? I will be heading toward Cornwall and to Wales. Bath?

Summary of wants:
1) no pre-payment (might change plans due to weather, etc)
2) would like to know the final price -- including insurance -- at booking
3) calm off-airport location
4) major player: Hertz, Avis, Enterprise

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm a member of the Hertz Gold Club, with an ex-Megacorp card getting max. discounts. You can get a discount with Hertz by being a member, and the membership is free.

I try to pickup cars at non-airport or train station rental locations. In the case of London, I'd be looking for rental locations close to a train or underground station out of the center city. We usually turn them in at airports--as we're leaving. Or, you could take a train out to where you're traveling and then pick the vehicle up there.

As far as insurance goes, your personal policy is always primary on rental cars in North America. But in Europe, they won't cover you. Your Visa account would become primary, and any CDW purchased from the rental company would be secondary. I usually use my card's insurance, and I carry a copy of the terms and conditions on the card printed off the internet. (Often rental agents put the hard sell on you for CDW--a big profit maker.) And I don't purchase their CDW because I'm (1) a very good driver (2)_experienced at driving on the left side and (3) used to driving internationally. Each to their own when deciding what level of insurance is needed.

And I am not charged until the car is picked up.

I just booked a car in London through Costco without issue (no prepay). The reason only manuals show up sometimes is that in UK (Europe in general), rental cars are mostly manual and automatic transmissions tend to be more expensive. So if you search for price, almost all that show up are manuals. However, as you go to more expensive cars (say full-size cars), you’ll see more automatic transmissions. Costco has many available in the UK.

While I ended up using Costco this time, I often find Kemwel to be better in Europe. So, I always check with them first - they do require prepayment though. This time Costco came out ahead for me.

For the first time, I’m actually grappling with insurance too. Usually, I just decline the damage waiver and rely on my credit card. However, this does leave “damage to other vehicles and persons” as a risk as those are not covered by CDW. Normally, I’m ok with that, but with the added complication of driving on the non-customary (for me) side of the road, I’m debating extra coverage. If anyone has a good solution to this, I’m all ears! Sorry, OP for stealing the thread a little....

On our first tip to UK, my late wife and I rented a car and put about 1000 miles on it.
Every time after that when we went to the UK,we took trains. It was a much less stressful trip.

Last time we booked autoeurope was by far the best. Plus, they went to bat for us when we had an issue.

We seldom pick up a car at the airport. Generally it is in town, just as we are leaving.

If you are doing a fair amount of driving try to get a diesel. Gas is very expensive. You will get much better mileage.

Things are changing. In the past autoeurope has always seemed best for us no matter where. We just finished making five seperate reservations for our travel in Greece and Cyprus in Sept/Oct. To our surprise we booked only two through autoeuope. One through Aegean Airlines, one through Aeroplan, and one through a local supplier. Anywhere from two days to 24 days. That surprised me.

Expedia was always as competive but we did not book with them. My megacorp retiree corporate with Avis was the most expensive option in each case. The two autoeurope reservations both had the most attractive price, vehicle, and extra insurance inclusions.

kemwell and autoeurope, I believe, are one in the same I believe.

Last time we were in the UK I rented through Auto Europe. Had a good experience, including the pickup at Pancras and the return at LHR.

I've also rented through Sixt before with decent rates. https://www.sixt.co.uk/

Remember, IMHO, to get the smallest car you are comfortable with. Makes B-roads, stone walls and narrow parking spots that bit easier.

I'm a member of the Hertz Gold Club, with an ex-Megacorp card getting max. discounts. You can get a discount with Hertz by being a member, and the membership is free.

I try to pickup cars at non-airport or train station rental locations. In the case of London, I'd be looking for rental locations close to a train or underground station out of the center city. We usually turn them in at airports--as we're leaving. Or, you could take a train out to where you're traveling and then pick the vehicle up there.

As far as insurance goes, your personal policy is always primary on rental cars in North America. But in Europe, they won't cover you. Your Visa account would become primary, and any CDW purchased from the rental company would be secondary. I usually use my card's insurance, and I carry a copy of the terms and conditions on the card printed off the internet. (Often rental agents put the hard sell on you for CDW--a big profit maker.) And I don't purchase their CDW because I'm (1) a very good driver (2)_experienced at driving on the left side and (3) used to driving internationally. Each to their own when deciding what level of insurance is needed.

And I am not charged until the car is picked up.
It's incorrect in every case that I've seen that the rental company CDW is secondary and your credit card primary. If you buy the CDW from the rental company the credit card insurance is voided.

Also with respect to prepay most of them are refundable up to 24/48 hours in my experience. But you need to check.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I continue to find it difficult to compare options as apples-to-apples because they are different in how (or whether) they quote the various levels of insurance.

For the first time, I’m actually grappling with insurance too. Usually, I just decline the damage waiver and rely on my credit card. However, this does leave “damage to other vehicles and persons” as a risk as those are not covered by CDW. Normally, I’m ok with that, but with the added complication of driving on the non-customary (for me) side of the road, I’m debating extra coverage. If anyone has a good solution to this, I’m all ears! Sorry, OP for stealing the thread a little....

No worries. In fact, this is a concern expressed in a thread on the Rick Steves Forum, in which a member spoke with the Chase Sapphire benefits advisor about coverage:
She stressed that they only cover the car we are renting from theft and damage. Nothing else is covered:

1. If someone smashes a window and steals a suitcase, the window is covered but the suitcase is not. Fair enough.
  2. If we damage another car (a fender bender) then damage to the other car is not covered. I want to call back and confirm this with another agent, as it seems peculiar.
  3. If we injure someone else -- say we hit a pedestrian -- injuries to that person are not covered.
  4. If we, say, hit someone's sheep, then injuries to the sheep are not covered.
When I asked about situation 3 in particular, she said (vaguely) that we'd need to buy other insurance from the rental company for that.

However, from the autoeurope site it does seem that liability is included in the basic (no CDW coverage) and that it cannot be refused (yet credit card insurance requires you to refuse all coverage). A call to the CSR benefits office may go on my to-do list.

Thank you to all.

We rented a car in Cornwall from Enterprise in 2017. We made the reservation on the Enterprise site, then asked Autoslash to watch it for discounts. I can't remember now if we did get discounts on that particular rental, but we often do so that's part of my standard procedure now.

We used a credit card that provided primary insurance for rentals abroad & declined their insurance. Check your card - some only provide insurance for 14 days, others for 30.

We took the overnight train from London & the Enterprise people picked us up from the station in Penzance. While traffic is low in Cornwall, driving those narrow lanes takes some getting used to. Locals are very polite & will reverse to a wider spot once they realize that you don't know how to do that well.

The overnight train is cool if you want the experience. Otherwise, I'd take a fast train to someplace closer to Cornwall & rent a car from there.

One more point. We rented the car in Cornwall & returned it in Newcastle a couple of weeks later. The added cost was just £50.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

However, from the autoeurope site it does seem that liability is included in the basic (no CDW coverage) and that it cannot be refused (yet credit card insurance requires you to refuse all coverage). A call to the CSR benefits office may go on my to-do list.

Thank you to all.

I read the same thing at some other site too - but I can't find it. Here's the text from the autoeurope site - (probably what you're referring to)

"In the United Kingdom, unlimited Third Party Liability Insurance is a legal requirement and is included in the pre-paid price of all car rentals with Auto Europe. Third Party Liability Insurance protects you from any and all liability resulting from property damage, injury, or death caused to anyone or anything outside of your British rental car. In addition to Third Party Liability Insurance, all rental car rates with Auto Europe include Fire Insurance, which covers any damage caused to your rental vehicle as a result of fire-related damage."

https://www.autoeurope.com/travel-guides/united-kingdom/uk-car-rental-insurance/

From my experience, go with a "name brand" outfit...it's not worth a relatively small savings only to discover horrible customer service or hidden fees. Look for negative reviews before you reserve.

Go for a smaller car. Sounds counter-intuitive, but the lanes in the UK are narrower and you'll be driving on "the alternative" side of the road...you want a narrow car. And also the parking spots are super narrow.

Have a chip card to use to pay for parking. You'll be paying for parking every time you turn around.

This means there are cameras that are clocking your speed. You'd only find out after you get home and the rental car company charges your credit card for the fine, plus a handling fee:

Attachments

• speedcamera.jpg
    speedcamera.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 52
I've been to UK about 8 times, twice was vacation with the rest business.

On vacation, we fly into megacity and don't get the rental right away...use public transport. Then after a few days, take Uber or taxi to off-airport site and get the car...found this to be much less expensive. Used AUtoeurope and have had no issues. And if you can drive a manual transmission the cost is MUCH lower....I prefer manual trans and it was no issue for me.

Good luck.

I read the same thing at some other site too - but I can't find it. Here's the text from the autoeurope site - (probably what you're referring to)

"In the United Kingdom, unlimited Third Party Liability Insurance is a legal requirement and is included in the pre-paid price of all car rentals with Auto Europe. Third Party Liability Insurance protects you from any and all liability resulting from property damage, injury, or death caused to anyone or anything outside of your British rental car. In addition to Third Party Liability Insurance, all rental car rates with Auto Europe include Fire Insurance, which covers any damage caused to your rental vehicle as a result of fire-related damage."

https://www.autoeurope.com/travel-guides/united-kingdom/uk-car-rental-insurance/

This is fully consistent with what I was told at Alamo London Heathrow this morning when I checked out my rental car.

I will be heading toward Cornwall and to Wales. Bath?

Thanks!
Bath is neat. FIL slept around them pre D Day landing.

Stonehenge is on the way. Winchester, Wells, & Salisbury Cathedrals are interesting.

Thanks all.

For this first rental, I'm going the stress-free route of automatic transmission, SuperCover insurance. On AutoEurope the only companies offering that are Hertz and EuropCar, with negligible differences, so I will go with Hertz.

One way rental adds about $60.

Often the rates are cheaper at a major international airport (LGW, LHR, MAN, BHX) than in a city (eg York or Bath) -- supply and demand for automatics for foreign tourists?

And the rates are mind-bogglingly dynamic: over a four hour period, the rate for a quote at York jumped from $288 to $555! Now for the same period it is back to $324. For the same dates, MAN was initially cheaper than LHR, but when I looked again next day, MAN was considerably more expensive.

On the other hand, the Hertz rate quoted for an automatic in Aberystwyth is the same as LHR (today) but my niggling fear is that if I book to pick up on Aber they won't have an automatic on hand. Sigh.

Travel booking has become quite a game!

Last edited:
Thanks all.

For this first rental, I'm going the stress-free route of automatic transmission, SuperCover insurance. On AutoEurope the only companies offering that are Hertz and EuropCar, with negligible differences, so I will go with Hertz.

One way rental adds about $60.

Often the rates are cheaper at a major international airport (LGW, LHR, MAN, BHX) than in a city (eg York or Bath) -- supply and demand for automatics for foreign tourists?

And the rates are mind-bogglingly dynamic: over a four hour period, the rate for a quote at York jumped from $288 to $555! Now for the same period it is back to $324. For the same dates, MAN was initially cheaper than LHR, but when I looked again next day, MAN was considerably more expensive.

On the other hand, the Hertz rate quoted for an automatic in Aberystwyth is the same as LHR (today) but my niggling fear is that if I book to pick up on Aber they won't have an automatic on hand. Sigh.

Travel booking has become quite a game!

Just be aware that what you booked and what may be available when you pick up may not be the same. I had booked a midsized automatic and when I got on the lot, the only automatics available were a couple of sub-compacts. They did offer a price adjustment but I wasn’t going to spend the next three weeks squished into a sardine can. So, I ended up with a bigger car and manual transition. Not ideal, but I’m ok. Unfortunately, one is in a very weak negotiating position standing at the rental lot, sleep -deprived right off the overnight flight and wanting to get on the road, instead of arguing and waiting for other options... :mad:

Back
Top Bottom