Washington State road trip

So many things to see/do in both States. It is not a short trip if you want to travel both.
Oregon:
Oregon coast--southern Coos Bay/Bandon etc will be much warmer than northern Lincoln City/Cannon Beach/Astoria. Central coast area had the Oregon Sand Dunes.
Highway 84--Multnomah Falls, on to Hood River and do the "fruit loop"
Crater Lake (can still have snow in the summer)
Mt Hood
Bend/Three Sisters

Washington:
Mt St Helens
Leavenworth
Seattle /Space Needle and Music museum
Washington coast--Long Beach peninsula (great clamming), San Juan Islands area

You won't be disappointed no matter where you go. PNW is beautiful country.

You will love it. We live right next to Olympic National Park. Wonderful place to visit in the summer. When my family comes to visit, I take them to spend a few days at Lake Quinault Resort & Quileute Oceanside Resort. Taking the loop around the area (Hwy 12 from Grand Mound to 101 from Hoquiam to Port Townsend) is a wonderful drive. From there you can take the ferry to Whidbey Island.

If you do go to San Juans, the ferry from Anacortes sells out well in advance during the summer, so plan accordingly.

Southwest also flies out of Bellingham. It's a much easier airport to travel from vs SeaTac.

Last summer, we only had a few bad air days from CA forest fires. The summer before was very bad however. Cascades are still well behind their normal snowpacks this year and could be a higher risk for forest fires this summer.

Here was the driving loop we did in 2022 from the Seattle airport in month of Sept/Oct.

Mt. Rainier
Oregon coast (Seaside, Canon Beach)
Portland, OR
Columbia river drive (Multnomah falls)
Hood River
Mt. Hood (lodge near base)
Hike around Trillium lake
Bend, OR
Crater Lake (must see)
Drove back to Hood River then east to Umatilla
North thru Richland, Yakima, Ellensburg and up to Leavenworth
Cabin on the Wenatchee river
Stevens Pass
Back to Seattle

One of our best trips ever and such variable, stunning scenery!
We tried to hike around Trillium Lake. But upon arrival we saw signs that snow shoes were required! Never had snowshoes.

It was April, a clear warm sunny day. All the way up at the Timberline Lodge on Mt. Hood it was 60 degrees and still deep snowpack (still up to 2nd floor level in the lodge) and people were out skiing in shorts and T-shirts. Fun! We did enjoy a meal in the lodge with a view towards the peak and watching the skiers.

Last edited:
I forgot there is also the mountain loop scenic highway which has a glacier you can hike to in the summer. It has caves that form in the ice. A very nice, super easy hiking trail with some wooden walkways to the ice caves. A few years back some dumb people got killed going into the caves so they may have closed access a bit.

edit: They are called the Big Four ice caves (the Big Four are the mountains)

Attachments

• icecaves.jpg
    icecaves.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Here's a few words on the North Cascades National Park, where I worked for two glorious summers in college: the best hike to effort ratio is Cascade Pass (7 miles roundtrip, ends at about 5200ft). Do it during the week, for less traffic. Don't forget to stop at the Washington Pass overlook. A short 1/4 mile detour takes you to a terrific overlook and is the best option for nonhikers. You can complete a loop called the Cascade Loop that routes through the Park, hits Winthrop and Chelan and routes back through Leavenworth.

Hurricane Ridge is great in the Olympic National Park (and the Hoh Rain Forest).

It is too bad about not being able to go into St. Helens itself.

We spent several days in North Cascades National Park last September. It so beautiful. Due to a couple of different forest fires, several of the trails were closed, but it’s a big place and we found several others for easy/moderate hikes.
The towns around NCNP are small and not fancy. We stayed in Winthrop. The drive over Highway 2 is very beautiful 🤩 We then spent a couple of days in Leavenworth. We were there the end of September and the crowds were gone. We did some hiking there, buts it’s a pretty touristy place.

The San Juan islands are nice, I was there maybe 10 yrs ago, they are small and I was there I think in April so no crowds.

Taking the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge island or Poulsbo is a fun day trip. You can have lunch and then come back later in the day.

I have not yet been to Olympic National Forest, but hope to make it there this summer or next.

If you are interested in trails, download the
Washington Trails app. It will give you information about all the trails in the state of Washington and reviews from people who have recently been on them..

Not sure where you are coming from, but Washington and Oregon are both big states. My advise is to pick one area and enjoy it, Don’t spend your whole trip driving from place to place. :)

Here’s a small gem overlooking the Columbia River

https://www.maryhillmuseum.

“Set among 5,300 acres on a bluff overlooking the Columbia River Gorge, Maryhill Museum of Art is one of the Pacific Northwest’s most fascinating cultural destinations.
A full day of fun can be had exploring the museum’s Special Exhibitions and Permanent Displays. Head outdoors to take in the views and the William And Catherine Dickson Sculpture Park, featuring works by many noted Northwest artists. Enjoy a light lunch at Loie’s: The Museum Café with terrace views of the Columbia River and Mount Hood.
Museum highlights include a gallery of 80 Works By Auguste Rodin, artifacts from Queen Marie Of Romania, Orthodox Icons, Unique Chess Sets from around the world, the renowned Théâtre De La Mode, along with rotating Special Exhibitions, educational programs and events. Download Map And Visitor’s Guide.”

Oh yeah, Maryhill nice stop. We stayed at the COE RV park right on the Columbia River one time. The peach orchards behind it were picking peaches and they let us go pick ourselves some tree ripened ones - the best kind! Another time we visited the museum and enjoyed that as well as the nearby Maryhill winery - more terraces and great views.

Last edited:
We loved Walla Walla and the wineries in the area. I highly recommend!

Only because it has not been mentioned, if you visit sites around Mt St Helen’s, you may want to stay in Longview, WA. Its history as a planned city is unique. 100 years ago, Mr Long moved his business there and design the town of Longview and the dike system. And, if you think that could be interesting, you should also look for the unique squirrel bridges designed to allow the squirrels to safely cross the streets. Perhaps your timing will coincide with Squirrel Fest.

Not a place to go out of your way but if nearby, the park in the middle of town offers a lovely place to walk see and many of the features in the original city plan, along with the more recently added squirrel bridges.

We did this road trip last July! From SoCal we drive up the coast through Oregon, Washington. Did a 3 day kayaking tour on the San Juan Islands, then back to mainland and a few days wine tasting in the Willamette Valley. We spent two weeks in total and travelled with our dog.

Second the recommendation for Astoria. We stayed one night there and it was very pleasant.

We loved Friday Harbor and the San Juan Islands! We stayed at the Grand Bed and Breakfast and highly recommend. The Innkeeper is quite a pianist and gives a short concert each evening on a restored Steinway. He has also lived in the Islands for decades and can give you great advice on what to see and do. Very comfortable rooms and great breakfast!

If you like glamping Bay Point Landing in Coos Bay is worth staying at for a few nights. We rented an Airstream but the tiny cabins were cute too. Full amenities and they will deliver a bucket and shovels to you for clamming on the Bay - we got a couple of dozen and made linguini with clam sauce (you'll need a shellfish license). So much fun.

We really love road trips and the Pacific Northwest is really beautiful!

Mount Saint Helens. How often can you see a mountain with one side blown out?

Highly recommend this! There is a tourist area with lots of information and a must see short video. There are also small hikes around the area.

The Hoh rainforest is nice small hike. If you go in the late summer there will be Huckleberries! Apples in Wenatchee also.
Take a ferry to Canada from Port Angeles, you will need passport. Columbia Gorge is beautiful all year round has great concerts, too.
A bit of the path is Levenworth with must see Nutcracker museum.
I'm from Washington and I sooooo love it!

I've lived here since the early 90's and can't think of anywhere else to suggest going that hasn't already been mentioned by other commenters. However, I do have a recommendation that you'll truly appreciate no matter where your travel in this area: RENT A CONVERTIBLE!!

The summers here in the PNW are absolutely fantastic, with comfortable temperatures and no humidity to speak of. And when you're driving thru the mountains or near the ocean of one of the many lakes you will will truly appreciate the beauty and awe that we enjoy here in the PNW. I might be biased, but I can't imagine a more perfect place to be in the summer...which is why I bought a convertible back in 2018 (an older but dependable Lexus SC430) that I enjoy on those sunny days when its not covered in the garage during the off-season.

Enjoy your trip!!

Most of the good stuff has all been mentioned.
We live near Mt. Rainier and would suggest a drive up Chinook Pass to go visit Sunrise, then come back out and continue on to Cayuse pass, down to the Stevens Canyon entrance. Head up into the park again and check out the gorge of the Cowlitz river, and then on up to Reflection lakes. Look around for bear on that eastern area of the park. You can spot them out on the slopes in the brush.
Go on up to Paradise. Drop back down through Paradise valley on the one way road.
That's a great day, driving around the mountain. It will also be long day!
Getting to the North part of the Olympic Peninsula:
I suggest taking 101 North, either from Olympia or come across from the Bremerton area on 106 along the southeastern arm of Hood Canal. This is better than just cruising up 3 to go across the Hood Canal bridge.
Take the side trip up to Lake Cushman and up to the Staircase entrance to the national park there. It is a lovely area with big trees and views.
I second all the other suggestions about the Peninsula. The Black Ball ferry to Victoria is fast and to the point.
Washington state ferries are loaded all summer and frequently you need reservations to travel to the San Juans.

All of the National Park visits are predicated on midweek. Weekends are bad at Rainier, for example.
I suggest planning stops to refuel yourself and enjoy a nice airbnb on the weekend when it fits the schedule, rather than braving the crowds.

Washington state ferries are loaded all summer and frequently you need reservations to travel to the San Juans.

Sadly, the WA state ferry system is being held together by duct tape and bailing wire. The ferries are aging and the fleet is down about 5 boats less than it should have. There used to be older smaller boats that could be pressed into service if a boat broke down. My understanding is that is no longer true. IOW, there can and will be delays and cancellations. Don't time your ferry boat trips based upon catching the last boat of the day. Check the Wash DOT for the latest news on each ferry boat service. If you are driving over it, you might also check if the Hood Canal bridge is schedule to be opened for marine traffic. A bridge opening can easily last one hour.

Sadly, the WA state ferry system is being held together by duct tape and bailing wire. The ferries are aging and the fleet is down about 5 boats less than it should have. There used to be older smaller boats that could be pressed into service if a boat broke down. My understanding is that is no longer true. IOW, there can and will be delays and cancellations. Don't time your ferry boat trips based upon catching the last boat of the day. Check the Wash DOT for the latest news on each ferry boat service. If you are driving over it, you might also check if the Hood Canal bridge is schedule to be opened for marine traffic. A bridge opening can easily last one hour.

We were coming back off Orcas island one Spring morning. The rule is you have to be at the ferry check in 30 minutes before scheduled arrival. We were house sitting close by & we were pushing the deadline. We were 3 minutes late....off to the overflow line. Our scheduled ferry was an hour late. There was only a couple of spots for overflow cars on that ferry. So we wait for the next scheduled ferry....which was 2.5 hours late. We did make it onto that ferry. That was a long drive with another 5 hours back to Portland.

My most-magical list:

Crater Lake - weird and gorgeous scenery, the chance to hike up and into a cinder cone (after a short boat ride), VERY cute chipmunks...

Mt. Rainier - gorgeous scenery and excellent hikes. Grove of the Patriarchs trail to see and learn about the iconic Pacific Northwest trees. Paradise Trail for mountainside beauty, marmots, and people watching. Paradise is not an especially easy trail but people from around the world in all different states of preparedness DO THIS TRAIL. I'm talking fat people in city clothes. And everyone is in a good mood, too (except maybe a kid here and there).

Hoh River Trail - trail through the greener-than-green rainforest with such a dense canopy that you don't get wet even if it's raining, with the river always adjacent for you to dip your feet in and learn what glacier-melt water feels like. I also liked the Cape Alava Trail but the most magical thing I saw there - a fawn hopping up into view with each hop and then disappearing down into the low bushes - might not be there for you.

Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area - large area of white-sand dunes, looking otherworldly and out of place right next to the forests. Nice hike out to the seashore and back.

Leavenworth Summer Theater

If you will be in Leavenworth July-Aug, their outdoor theater production of The Sound of Music shouldn’t be missed. It is an annual production, stunning outdoor setting. You’ll feel like you are watching the show in the Alps.

https://leavenworthsummertheater.org/som

I didn't see the Palouse being mentioned. If you're in eastern WA (near Walla Walla or Spokane), don't miss it.

We were fortunate to have lived 20 miles from Washington State. We spent a lot of time touring the state and the San Juan islands. Countless day, weekend, and vacation trips. Camping and hoteling.

We have been to most states but Washington was, and still is, always a standout for us. Not just the scenery, also the people!

Research the scablands - very amazing and unique geological features created when the ice dam holding glacial Lake Missoula catastrophically failed in the ice age and caused a huge flood that created the geology of much of Washington.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom