West Texas Travel ?

iloveyoga

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am planning a girls trip to Marfa, TX in April...we are from Iowa so need to fly and drive. Question, is it better to fly into Midland or El Paso, those look like our choices? We will then rent a car to drive to Maria. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

They are about the same driving distance to Marfa but if those were my two choices, I'd pick Midland/Odessa. I try to avoid El Paso when possible.

I am planning a girls trip to Marfa, TX in April...we are from Iowa so need to fly and drive. Question, is it better to fly into Midland or El Paso, those look like our choices? We will then rent a car to drive to Maria. Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

I believe Midland is closer.

We love the west Texas mountains - Marta, Alpine and Fort Davis. Plus the McDonald observatory in the mountains near Fort Davis is worth visiting, especially for their night sky presentations.

I believe Midland is closer.

We love the west Texas mountains - Marta, Alpine and Fort Davis. Plus the McDonald observatory in the mountains near Fort Davis is worth visiting, especially for their night sky presentations.

Yes, the observatory is on our list! The mountains sound wonderful. Thanks.

If you are going to drive into the Davis Mountains near the observatory, it’s with going to a rest area several miles past from which you can see the peak of Mount Livermore, one of the highest peaks in TX (over 8000 feet) and the higher than any peak east of it in the US. The Nature Conservancy which owns a very large tract of land in the area including the mountain has put in some hiking trails near the rest area. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Livermore_(Texas)

Great birding in the Davis Mountains too.

Last edited:
If you are going to drive into the Davis Mountains near the observatory, it’s with going to a rest area several miles past from which you can see the peak of Mount Livermore, one of the highest peaks in TX (over 8000 feet) and the higher than any peak east of it in the US. The Nature Conservancy which owns a very large tract of land in the area including the mountain has put in some hiking trails near the rest area. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Livermore_(Texas)

Great birding in the Davis Mountains too.

Sounds beautiful, will put it on the list. I have never been to this part of Texas, so I am looking forward to it.

I was quite disappointed with Marfa. I was driving between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Big Bend National Park. There's simply not a helluva lot in Marfa IMO.

I flew into El Paso. I was in the region mainly to visit national parks, but I spent a day in El Paso at the end and I found a few interesting things to see there. Timewise, google maps says it's slightly faster to Marfa from El Paso than from Midland-Odessa, but the latter is a slightly shorter distance.

For me, the big attraction was Big Bend National Park, which exceeded my expectations. It's a vast park with several distinct areas of mountain, desert, and river scenery. I like to hike, and it's a great park for that.

From Terlingua near the west entrance to Big Bend NP, there is a stunning road, route 170, along the Rio Grande headed toward Presidio. Gorgeous scenery along the rocky gorge of the Rio Grande, and almost no traffic at all.

Last edited:
Unsolicited advice: in that area get gas before you need it, eat when you see food and keep water in your car. We did Big Bend etc a couple years ago and stayed nearby in a rental cabin. A gallon of water per day per person just to drink. Ft davis was neat also. And a star party at the Observatory

For me, the big attraction was Big Bend National Park, which exceeded my expectations. It's a vast park with several distinct areas of mountain, desert, and river scenery. I like to hike, and it's a great park for that.
+1

Don't be surprised by posted 75 mph speed limits on very narrow, rural roads. You're not in Iowa anymore.:LOL:

I went to Big Bend in early 2020. Drove along the Rio Grande from Terlingua and through Marfa and spent a night in Fort Davis but had to cut the trip short to get home and buy provisions for COVID. Really want to go back and see more so just made hard to get reservations at Chisos Mountain Lodge to return in March 2023 and plan to spend a few days in Marfa and Fort Davis and maybe Alpine or Marathon.

Last edited:
Sounds beautiful, will put it on the list. I have never been to this part of Texas, so I am looking forward to it.

It's a really nice and beautiful part of the world. Love Big Bend and Davis Mountains.

Last time was there we did a canoe trip on the Rio Grande- Santa Elena Canyon. Quite fun and scenic.

Unsolicited advice: in that area get gas before you need it, eat when you see food and keep water in your car. We did Big Bend etc a couple years ago and stayed nearby in a rental cabin. A gallon of water per day per person just to drink. Ft davis was neat also. And a star party at the Observatory

We will definitely do the Star Party. And the Chinati Foundation Art Museum is on the list too.

I was quite disappointed with Marfa. I was driving between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Big Bend National Park. There's simply not a helluva lot in Marfa IMO.

I flew into El Paso. I was in the region mainly to visit national parks, but I spent a day in El Paso at the end and I found a few interesting things to see there. Timewise, google maps says it's slightly faster to Marfa from El Paso than from Midland-Odessa, but the latter is a slightly shorter distance.

From Terlingua near the west entrance to Big Bend NP, there is a stunning road, route 170, along the Rio Grande headed toward Presidio. Gorgeous scenery along the rocky gorge of the Rio Grande, and almost no traffic at all.

Thanks for the great info! We are using Marfa as our hopping off point for the things we want to do. I looks like we can get a nice rental there for three retired ladies.

Don't be surprised by posted 75 mph speed limits on very narrow, rural roads. You're not in Iowa anymore.:LOL:
You may find that many people in that part of Texas think that's the minimum speed... If you see anyone out there. I've been passed when doing well above the posted limits myself. Good two lane roads, few gas stations, no traffic and "almost" no places (there's a few) to eat or stay outside of Ft Stockton.

Last edited:
If your plans include Big Bend NP, we drove to the area and stayed at an amazing hotel in Marathon called the Gage Hotel. Upscale for the area and then drove into Big Bend the next morning. I really wanted to experience that hotel for a night. It’s like out of an old western movie but new and modern.

Btw, driving in this part of the world and it is spars, let me tell you. It was a bit freaky going 60,100 miles with no cell service. Once you get to Big Bend, service improves but still many gaps. It kind of freaked me out when I thought what might happened if the car broke down and no cell service. Like the good old days, you thumb it I guess. Big Bend NP is gynormous too.

And don't forget to use the facilities whenever available... every ounce counts!

Did this trip (and more) this past fall... DW had her first experience of not being able to hold it any longer and we could NOT find a place... had to pull over on the side of the road... said she had never been so embarrassed as squatting to pee, trying to hide behind a door, and of course there's always some traffic going by when you don't want them! :(

And don't forget to use the facilities whenever available... every ounce counts!

Did this trip (and more) this past fall... DW had her first experience of not being able to hold it any longer and we could NOT find a place... had to pull over on the side of the road... said she had never been so embarrassed as squatting to pee, trying to hide behind a door, and of course there's always some traffic going by when you don't want them! :(

We are taking all the advice seriously!

People out that way see this as a common event. No need to be embarrassed.:D

You might want to stash one of these in the glove compartment:

Attachments

• pic.JPG
    pic.JPG
    16.5 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
You might want to stash one of these in the glove compartment:

Thanks for the tip! I will probably get this without telling her and stash it for emergency use... and to use in case she tries to veto any future road trips in remote locations with long drives... :)

If your plans include Big Bend NP, we drove to the area and stayed at an amazing hotel in Marathon called the Gage Hotel. Upscale for the area and then drove into Big Bend the next morning. I really wanted to experience that hotel for a night. It’s like out of an old western movie but new and modern.

Btw, driving in this part of the world and it is spars, let me tell you. It was a bit freaky going 60,100 miles with no cell service. Once you get to Big Bend, service improves but still many gaps. It kind of freaked me out when I thought what might happened if the car broke down and no cell service. Like the good old days, you thumb it I guess. Big Bend NP is gynormous too.

Oh yeah - Gage Hotel was awesome. Lovely bungalow and their fine dining was top notch!

Back
Top Bottom