What if we can't travel for a non-covered reason? (Snow)

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm getting ready to make Disney World reservations for early February, which supposedly is a less-crowded time, and also a great time to be in FL instead of MD. I do not do well outdoors in hot weather, so waiting till spring is not an option.

But, I'm getting nervous about snow. During winter, there is a risk of heavy localized snowstorms that trap us at home for days. This happens about once per year. We are at the end of a 700-foot driveway, and even when the county eventually plows the side street, we wouldn't get out, nor would a taxi or Uber be able to get to us. Also, predicting the snowfall accurately in our area is impossible. It is quite possible to have the main roads clear, airlines flying, and we are still trapped. Travel insurance will not pay out under such individualized circumstances. (Believe me, I've checked).

I'm not asking how to prevent snow :D And it's not a big enough problem to be worth moving away, just for this! But does anyone have experience with other tactics, such as staying in a hotel the night before the trip, instead of in one's home? "Staying with friends" is not an option.

Just wondering. Thanks for thoughts.

If you do not mind driving, a road trip from MD to Orlando is not really that bad at around 900 miles. That will let you get out beforehand, when you spot a window in the weather. Or book a last-minute flight, and escape while you can. :)

Hotel option might be a good one.
I know people who cruise and arrive in the port city a couple of days early, (just in case their flights are delayed on the day of cruise). Then they sight see, relax, whatever until they board the ship day/days later.

We are trying to avoid it. Nine hundred miles is 2 days in the car for us :facepalm:

If you do not mind driving, a road trip from MD to Orlando is not really that bad at around 900 miles. )

If snow is forecast I'd get a hotel room very close to the airport the day before. I'd think those roads would be cleared on a near-continuous basis. Might want to move quickly on that as I'd bet lots of other people have the same idea.

Rent a 4WD SUV? I know my half-ton pickup will go in 2 1/2 feet of snow but that's about the limit and I wouldn't want to try it for a long distance. And can you return it at the airport is a question too.

When traveling in the winter, we avoid flights with a connection in the northern states. One never knows if the airport gets closed down, or flights get delayed and schedules get all messed up.

One year, my sister got caught in Denver for nearly a week when her plane made a connecting stop, then could not take off again due to a storm. Each day, she got out to the airport to see if there would be a flight home to Phoenix, and went back to her hotel. Not a good trip!

We are trying to avoid it. Nine hundred miles is 2 days in the car for us :facepalm:

Well, take your time and make that into a road trip to visit some other places. You are retired, so what's the hurry? Take 4 days, a week, to drive down to Orlando.

Amethyst, on behalf of all the forum Floridians, we promise there will be no snow in February - in Orlando. :)

If there should be such a torment around your departure date, you should know about it at least a couple of days in advance. There must be a hotel next to the airport, you have time to make a reservation and go stay there.

If there should be such a torment around your departure date, you should know about it at least a couple of days in advance. There must be a hotel next to the airport, you have time to make a reservation and go stay there.

+1

Build in redundancy by making the airport hotel reservation early, and cancelling it if the weather forecast is good the day before you leave.

Last edited:
Great ideas - thanks!

+1

Build in redundancy by making the airport hotel reservation early, and cancelling it if the weather forecast is good the day before you leave.

Another vote for a hotel reservation with no cost cancellation. Cheap insurance. Some hotels have cheaper parking than the airport parking, so it can be a park and fly package deal, depending on your local situation.

Last edited:
The main problems I've worried about is getting stuck on my neighborhood streets and not being able to get to the main roads which I figured should be plowed, or having to travel a longer way to the airport with bad weather predicted. Over the years I've done everything from staying in a hotel near the airport and taking their shuttle, to parking my car very near the main road which would be plowed and in walking distance from my house, to staying with a family member who lived right off a main road that would be plowed. I've considered driving to the airport the night before and sleeping in the terminal, but never had to resort to that.

I usually err on the side of caution. It may be hard to accurately predict a snow storm, but rarely does a bad one hit with no hint that it might come. Sometimes that warning takes a bit of effort to heed, like knowing that a 35 degree rain could easily turn into something nasty even if only rain is in the forecast.

I have also done the "airport hotel" option - it definitely is the way to go. My travel tends to be heavy between mid-January and the end of March, so I have had to use that option several times over the years.

This is exactly what we might face. I feel a little better, now that I know it's typical to reserve a hotel for these situations.

We live in a thinly-populated area, right next to a very densely populated one. We get heavy weather that they do not always get. It's one of the prices of privacy I guess.

The main problems I've worried about is getting stuck on my neighborhood streets and not being able to get to the main roads which I figured should be plowed, or having to travel a longer way to the airport with bad weather predicted.

When traveling in the winter, we avoid flights with a connection in the northern states. One never knows if the airport gets closed down, or flights get delayed and schedules get all messed up.

One year, my sister got caught in Denver for nearly a week when her plane made a connecting stop, then could not take off again due to a storm. Each day, she got out to the airport to see if there would be a flight home to Phoenix, and went back to her hotel. Not a good trip!

Last year our daughter was scheduled to fly LA to Vancouver to join us on an Alaskan cruise. There were storms the day before in the northern States so that the planes were all in the wrong places come the day of their flight and the plane they were scheduled to get originated from Houston first thing in the morning had not arrived in Houston the night before and the flight was cancelled plus big delays on all other flights out of LA. They were literally the last pair to board ship, they pulled up the gangway after they got on board. At least they missed the mandatory safety demo.

We had arrived the day before as we always like to do when we have a cruise booked. We have also arrived at an airport hotel the night before crucial flights. I have missed business meetings in Europe on more than 1 occaision because of cancelled flights. (I was never motivated enough to get there a day early for work but even though I never lost my own money it is still very frustrating).

WE always fly in at least 1 day early for a cruise. Sometimes we go even earlier if it is a town that we want to see. Hotel would be the best option.

I wrote that my sister was stuck for a week, but it was most likely not that long. Out of curiosity, I looked on the Web, and it was said that Denver airport was closed for 2 days in 2003 due to a blizzard.

However, I recall that it took my sister several days to get home, and it was due to no plane availability. When there are so many flights being cancelled and people stranded, it is not possible for the air transport system to recover quickly.

This is exactly what we might face. I feel a little better, now that I know it's typical to reserve a hotel for these situations.

There's a reason why they build hotels close to the airport, and now you know why. :LOL:

I always fly in at least one day before a winter cruise. I know to expect flight delays at this time of year. I have not yet had to stay at a hotel at my home airport, but I often build in an overnight stay to break up a journey with at least three flights. I've been caught several times in snow and ice storms and had to use airport hotels at the airline's expense.

One little luxury I like us to use is valet parking at the airport. I live far enough from my home airport that a taxi or shuttle would be quite expensive. If my return flight arrives after midnight, I can hardly expect friends to pick me up, and that is the worst time to wait around for transportation. The cost is better than break even if I have been away for a week or less. I just walk out the side door of the terminal and my warm car is idling a few metres away. Half an hour later, I'm home.

We found that going to the airport a day ahead, spending the night, many places will allow you to park for better rate than long term airport parking.

Or you could rent a 4x4?

Maybe walk to the nearest plowed street (if within a few miles). Then call Uber.

Probably a bad idea but oh well. [emoji3]

Maybe walk to the nearest plowed street (if within a few miles). Then call Uber.

Probably a bad idea but oh well. [emoji3]

Walking with one's luggage, even if it is a carry-on, through snow and ice? Then, one falls, breaks some bones, and ends up spending the vacation in an ER room? :cool:

Walking with one's luggage, even if it is a carry-on, through snow and ice? Then, one falls, breaks some bones, and ends up spending the vacation in an ER room? :cool:

I know right. Just a random brainstorm that could possibly work. I saw Steve Martin do it in Trains, Planes, and Automobiles.

Even living in Colorado, I have never had snow stop a trip. Cause delays, yes, but flat out stop? No way. Had more delays changing planes in Chicago then anywhere else.

Our driveway is as long as OP's, and I make sure that I plow the driveway or arrange to have it plowed before I'm ready to leave for the airport. I have never had a problem getting to the airport. Chances are that our flight would be delayed or canceled anyway if our driveway was impassable. We did do the airport hotel once to make sure we would make it

Back
Top Bottom