What’s your favorite city to travel to?

And DW loves to unpack just once on a trip...

Absolutely the biggest single advantage of a river cruise, and not to be dismissed lightly. :)

We have also been charmed by two or three places we saw on river cruises and gone back there on our own later. Train travel in Europe is so easy that there's no reason not to. In fact, my number one criterion for picking a hotel there in any city is that I want it within walking distance of the central train station.

Hawaii has changed a bit from those days. Plus, viewing the islands as a teenager, having fun with no responsibilities, is a bit different than as an adult.

Having fun with no responsibilities - - that's how I view retired life! :2funny: I live alone these days, and I no longer have to worry about a husband, child, pets, or plants depending on me to take care of them. Those responsibilities are behind me now. And, I make sure to include plenty of fun in every day's activities.

Sorry at the levity! I know what you meant, and I'm probably not as irresponsible as I sound, but still I love retired life so much and just HAD to say this. :D

bcclover said:
I have to go with my home town of NYC

+1

Spent a week there with my son and had a blast. We wore our wheels off trying to see everything and just couldn't fit it all in. Next time I go it'll be in the fall when the tourist season is over to explore Central Park, Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Ellis Island, Liberty Island in more depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrived in Timisoara before noon today......it's already supplanted Brasov.

I had to look it up as I'd never heard of Timisoara or Brasov, but they both look lovely and have been added to my travel bucket list- thanks!

I had to look it up as I'd never heard of Timisoara or Brasov, but they both look lovely and have been added to my travel bucket list- thanks!

Watched a half hour movie yesterday at a little museum here in Timisoara......the 1989 revolution that resulted in the demise of communism in Romania, and the overthrow of Nicolae Ceausescu, started here with a priest, who refused to be transferred to shut him up, and about twenty supporters.

"Little acorns" and all that.

(There are gritty aspects to the city, but then there a gritty aspects to life.)

Internationally Paris is one of my favorite. Domestic, I have to go with my home town of NYC, although I recently went to Savannah and loved it.

I'm with you there. Paris and NYC for my wife and I.
Paris is everything one could imagine and then some. We found that every good cliche about Paris is true.
NYC is by far our favorite in the US. Such a dynamic city. Every time you step out in the street, you have an adventure. You go to subway and you see the whole world.

For smaller cities, Florence, Italy. it's from a fairy tale.

Paris is everything one could imagine and then some. We found that every good cliche about Paris is true.

DW and I lived in Paris for many years. (the bad cliches are also true!)
But we miss it terribly and get back every chance we get.

Even living there a long time the place would continue to impress and amaze. It never was dull or commonplace.

DW and I lived in Paris for many years. (the bad cliches are also true!)
But we miss it terribly and get back every chance we get.

Even living there a long time the place would continue to impress and amaze. It never was dull or commonplace.

I haven't lived there so I can't comment about bad cliches, but you're right - never a dull moment. So much too see and explore. You turn the street corner, and there's something different to see.

It is hard to say a city rather than a region. Tuscany covers a huge area with many favorite smaller cities. We fortunate to have my sister in law who's lived there for almost 30 years. She's our personal travel guide who knows the language and the best places to go for food, ambiance and of course, wine. I could say Florence, but the smaller cities offer so much more. Less tourists, friendlier people and much cheaper restaurants with "to die for" food. We've visited at least 10 times over the 30 years and get a new experience every time.

I liked Volterra, Sienna and San Gmignano.

It could be tough living in them because of the steps and incline you have to climb, usually on hard rock surfaces.

I liked Volterra, Sienna and San Gmignano.

It could be tough living in them because of the steps and incline you have to climb, usually on hard rock surfaces.

Yes, you have to be mobile to enjoy these places. Many hills and stairs but that's why we see lots of people in their 90's walking who've lived there all their life. DSI lives in a very small town called Sante Maria in the mountains. Many very old people there who still walk everywhere. They carry bags and walk slow but wow, a vision to behold.

In no particular order:

- Park City Utah: both winter and summer.
- Maldives
- Sonoma, California
- Montepulciano, Italy

Too many to chose!!!

Hong Hong ( but i was there in 1990/1 , before the hand-over )

Funny, a lot of people like Hong Kong....I was there circa 1965...too damn crowded for my taste. And I imagine it's 20 times as bad now.

Not FIRE'd yet but still love to travel.

Let's see. Can't pick just one.

Overseas:

Paris, Tokyo, Chiang Mai, the South Island of New Zealand, Istanbul

US

Hawaii, New Mexico, parts of California, Denver

Hong Hong ( but i was there in 1990/1 , before the hand-over )

It’s grown a lot, the Chinese have sunk all kinds of money into it now that it’s theirs again, no more ferrying to Hong Kong island, they’ve built multiple bridges

Budapest. We can get a nice street level apartment for $65 a day. The young people are hip and speak good English. The Ruin Pubs may be the best honky tonks anywhere. And their foods are appetizing to American tastes. There is no better beer than what is available there. And the town's beautiful.

Budapest. We can get a nice street level apartment for $65 a day. The young people are hip and speak good English. The Ruin Pubs may be the best honky tonks anywhere. And their foods are appetizing to American tastes. There is no better beer than what is available there. And the town's beautiful.

I was in Budapest ~ 7 years ago during their Spring Music Festival, and loved it. Great food, gourmet and cheap - duck, goose, especially. Lots of great music, pubs, jazz, blues, etc.

But beer? Most places had the local Dreher Bak, which was cheap and quite good. Outside of that, a number of cafes specialized in Belgian Beers (though considered world class, many of them are not to my personal liking). I didn't find much outside of that.

-ERD50

These days it's London England. The city has a great food and music scene, and lots of other things to do. There are so many great fine dining options for dinner. For lunch, I recommend people try the "Dead Hippie" Burger at MeatMarket or Meatliquor. It is absolutely unbelievable. After you finish your last bite, you will be craving for another one. We were there last year and are headed back in two weeks. My wife and I counting down to our next burger fix.

I don't consider cities that are tiny just to support a geographic area (Napa, Lihue) really the reason the question was asked. I assume "cities" means when the cultural and visitor interest is in the city itself.

In no particular order, cities I've found really excellent to visit:
NYC - in my opinion nothing comes close in the US
London
Prague
Barcelona
Oia, Santorini

Back
Top Bottom