What to do in Bavaria late March

If anyone still interested today I arrived in Rendsburg where they have a motorhome parking right on the canal - and lots of huge ships are passing by. Quite the spectacle!

This pic is from the web - but one of those prime spots nearest the camera is mine for the night.

b8108feef6.jpg

(for more info click here: http://www.tag-nok.de/nok-region/schacht-audorf.html)

Last edited:
How far from the city center is the RV park?

How do you visit the city? Hard enough to drive and park a car into these cities so it must be almost impossible to drive an RV around city centers with narrow streets from the Middle Ages?

How do you visit the city? Hard enough to drive and park a car into these cities so it must be almost impossible to drive an RV around city centers with narrow streets from the Middle Ages?

I've taken a camper around the Bordeaux region of France a few years ago. The campers are much smaller than US RVs. The typical size is 6m with 8m long campers being big ones. The widths are less than 2.5m. We encountered only a couple of tighter spots but then we weren't trying to take the camper into the historic centre of the city. There are sat nav systems that have camper/truck modes that take account of your vehicle size when route planning.

In many regions of Europe there are small camping stops in or very near to many of the small towns and villages. The term the Brits use for these are "aires". These were generally very cheap or free to stay at. We were in easy walking distance to many places and most of the campers carried bicycles or scooters.

For Rendsburg I would have taken the RV. A few km. to drive. Mine is over 9m but I often manage to park at the side of the road.

The rule of thumb is that the further south you get the narrover the streets get. You learn to stear the other way when the buildings looks more than a couple of hundred years old. My RV has a scratch on the front bumper from the old town in Granada, Spain where I got into this street who got narrower and narrower. And in the rush hour so not much hope of bacing out. At the end the top left of the RV were less than an inch from some balcony while the front right where 2mm and less from some steps. But I got trough! I'm keeping the scratch as a badge of honour and a remainder of turning away in time! :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom